Jags release Tim Tebow; haters rejoice

G. Gordon Gator

Intrepid Chauvinist
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2018
No there isn't.
So, you're sure UM doesn't envision himself as an Old Testament God, and Tebow as his New Testament son? Really, really sure? 100%?

By the way speaking of Urban Meyer, and his son, and baseball, and football, and switching from baseball to football...here's sort of a coincidental story from just over a year ago (May 14, 2020) that I'm surprised no one's mentioned.

Urban Meyer's son, Nate Meyer, joins Cincinnati football team as walk-on

The University of Cincinnati football program has added a high-profile walk-on.

Nate Meyer, the son of former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer, has joined the program as a wide receiver, coach Luke Fickell told Yahoo Sports. Nate Meyer, 21, was a scholarship baseball player at Cincinnati the past two seasons. He’s switching sports to better prepare himself for his goal of becoming a college football coach, as he’s hoping to follow in his father’s footsteps.

Nate Meyer will be a junior in the fall and has already begun taking part in Zoom calls with the Bearcats wide receivers. Fickell said that special teams likely looms as his best chance to contribute.

Nate Meyer said he has a sense of the competition level from spending the summer before his freshman year working out with Ohio State’s football team. That experience ultimately planted the seed for him to become a football coach.

“I fell in love with the whole environment and the people there,” Nate Meyer said. “I developed great relationships. After that, I had a fall season that didn’t have football. It hit me hard that I missed football.”

Urban Meyer said that his son changed his major at Cincinnati from business to psychology after the fall of his freshman year. That’s the same major Urban Meyer had as a student at Cincinnati, where he played football after a failed minor league baseball stint and eventually got into football coaching.
Nate Meyer is 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds. He made all-district in football at Bishop Watterson High School in Dublin, Ohio. He chose baseball in college and was a role player on Cincinnati’s NCAA tournament team, the program’s first NCAA appearance since 1974.
Even while playing baseball at UC, Nate Meyer made it clear to his coaches that he wanted to get into college football coaching. He took a four-day trip with his father in the summer of 2019 to visit training camps at Army, Boston College, Toledo and Bowling Green.

Along with the camp trip last spring, Nate Meyer has spent time learning the nuances of the game – like special teams play – by sitting with his father for lengthy film sessions. “He’s working really hard at it,” Urban Meyer said. “Studies football and reads books. He’s really into it.”

Nate Meyer said he’s going in looking to contribute whatever way he can. “I know that I won’t be dragging behind,” he said. “I know that I can help push forward.”

Ahhh yes, figuring out what sorts of unconventional things we can do to help push the team forward. It's a family tradition! And so is switching from baseball to football, apparently. Even adopted members of the family are doing it now!

g8trjax

Aug 26, 2018
63OQQLC4WGCSVT63NRGOFZ2GA4.aspx

5ITZAYU5W7XMAFC2B2YFTPRZSA.aspx

5PGC3RDSY2M2ML2E6RDIACGRSA.aspx

FNLK3BMNFXOFG4RVO4YADTXN6Y.jpg

TGVQ4XVISWLNKFTEG4ZR7EVJ7U.jpg

UVJCOZSVFIAVEARZUWFI2KB6WQ.jpg

AZSFOKWJLZ5ZNUXZ6FKLXW5EEM.jpg

7KW25MSN6RFGHIMEDYRSY7AAAQ.jpg
R5e44ae1f8390f96a945111948701bf5f

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
Tebow was a great college quarterback. He wasn't a good NFL quarterback and he isn't a tight end. This is about ticket and jersey sales and Urban's personal loyalty, and has exactly nothing to do with football. Every single third-string tight end on every other team in the league is so much better than Tebow, just from having played the position for years. Frankly, the whole thing is a combination of a bad joke and playing the rubes who are fool enough to believe it and buy even more Tebow merchandise.
Interesting because I am sure this is an honest opinion, and, in a sense, even an informed opinion. I spent my career in a field in which talent and determination frequently trumped experience, so I don't share this opinion.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Tebow won’t be a TE, he’ll be a H-back type utility that can also have some packages for short yardage to protect Lawrence from an NFL beating. Nothing more, nothing less. He still has the physical gifts to play that role.

It will be interesting to see if it actually happens and whether it’s successful or not. I could see it going no further than camp where he gets cut or possibly having wild success becoming a key player in their offense.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
So, you're sure UM doesn't envision himself as an Old Testament God, and Tebow as his New Testament son? Really, really sure? 100%?

By the way speaking of Urban Meyer, and his son, and baseball, and football, and switching from baseball to football...here's sort of a coincidental story from just over a year ago (May 14, 2020) that I'm surprised no one's mentioned.

Urban Meyer's son, Nate Meyer, joins Cincinnati football team as walk-on

The University of Cincinnati football program has added a high-profile walk-on.

Nate Meyer, the son of former Ohio State coach Urban Meyer, has joined the program as a wide receiver, coach Luke Fickell told Yahoo Sports. Nate Meyer, 21, was a scholarship baseball player at Cincinnati the past two seasons. He’s switching sports to better prepare himself for his goal of becoming a college football coach, as he’s hoping to follow in his father’s footsteps.

Nate Meyer will be a junior in the fall and has already begun taking part in Zoom calls with the Bearcats wide receivers. Fickell said that special teams likely looms as his best chance to contribute.

Nate Meyer said he has a sense of the competition level from spending the summer before his freshman year working out with Ohio State’s football team. That experience ultimately planted the seed for him to become a football coach.

“I fell in love with the whole environment and the people there,” Nate Meyer said. “I developed great relationships. After that, I had a fall season that didn’t have football. It hit me hard that I missed football.”

Urban Meyer said that his son changed his major at Cincinnati from business to psychology after the fall of his freshman year. That’s the same major Urban Meyer had as a student at Cincinnati, where he played football after a failed minor league baseball stint and eventually got into football coaching.
Nate Meyer is 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds. He made all-district in football at Bishop Watterson High School in Dublin, Ohio. He chose baseball in college and was a role player on Cincinnati’s NCAA tournament team, the program’s first NCAA appearance since 1974.
Even while playing baseball at UC, Nate Meyer made it clear to his coaches that he wanted to get into college football coaching. He took a four-day trip with his father in the summer of 2019 to visit training camps at Army, Boston College, Toledo and Bowling Green.

Along with the camp trip last spring, Nate Meyer has spent time learning the nuances of the game – like special teams play – by sitting with his father for lengthy film sessions. “He’s working really hard at it,” Urban Meyer said. “Studies football and reads books. He’s really into it.”

Nate Meyer said he’s going in looking to contribute whatever way he can. “I know that I won’t be dragging behind,” he said. “I know that I can help push forward.”

Ahhh yes, figuring out what sorts of unconventional things we can do to help push the team forward. It's a family tradition! And so is switching from baseball to football, apparently. Even adopted members of the family are doing it now!
I didn't read all that other stuff, but on your point of Meyer and Tebow, I think it's much more simple than any elaborate mind game. Tebow is one of the best FB players Meyer has ever coached, a first round talent and he's just sitting there for the taking. On top of that he's a hometown favorite with no risk of any off field issues, and as hard working as anyone in the league. It was a no brainer for Meyer to bring him in for a look. And maybe a little surprisingly, he seems to have good hands. He has worked at blocking before when he was on the Jets and his upper and lower body strength is likely as good as any TE on the team for sure. I don't think it's a gimmick, more like a gimmie.

Last edited:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Tebow was a great college quarterback. He wasn't a good NFL quarterback and he isn't a tight end. This is about ticket and jersey sales and Urban's personal loyalty, and has exactly nothing to do with football. Every single third-string tight end on every other team in the league is so much better than Tebow, just from having played the position for years. Frankly, the whole thing is a combination of a bad joke and playing the rubes who are fool enough to believe it and buy even more Tebow merchandise.
Ox is gonna kick you square in the nuts over this.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
This is the worst post in the history of message boards.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Are you certain that it is not sarcasm? Maybe CCG is catfishing you
Very funny. Circle City making dooshy posts is not a new phenomenon. I also guaran-effing-tee you his slamming of Tebow has everything to do with his disdain of what Tebow stands for personally and not his athletic abilities.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Very funny. Circle City making dooshy posts is not a new phenomenon. I also guaran-effing-tee you his slamming of Tebow has everything to do with his disdain of what Tebow stands for personally and not his athletic abilities.
The next time Circle is helping with a Defund the Poelice riot and burning down a local business, he will probably tag other walls with "Fuchs Tebow cracker ass too".

Next he always punches an Asian or two in the head.

Last edited:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Let us not forget that Tebow loves to strength train. Training solo can't possibly be as enjoyable for Tim as working out with teammates for a common "pull-together" purpose. Tim is just moving towards his happiness like a plant turns towards the sun. Let all these athletes chase their enjoyment.

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
Another point in TT’s favor; Has he ever had an injury since high school? If not there is a lot of tread left on the tires. Most guys are beat to hell by the time they are in the league.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Another point in TT’s favor; Has he ever had an injury since high school? If not there is a lot of tread left on the tires. Most guys are beat to hell by the time they are in the league.

I believe he had a concussion in a game against Kentucky and might have missed a couple of games in the following weeks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
And he finished the season once w broken and and wrist. That is still a lot less wear and tear than 10 years in League would be. However, he is a long, long shot.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
It's interesting how things we see in the media are orchestrated. I'm always looking for the long-game play.

Like, there were several stories published last week mentioning a "common complaint" about Tebow from former NFL HC's. The supposed complaint was that although he didn't actively stir up the "Tebowmania" media circus that followed him everywhere, he never avoided it or did anything to tamp it down, either.

Example: There’s Been 1 ‘Common Complaint’ With Tim Tebow

For all we know the impetus for that story came from the Jags themselves or from someone friendly to Tebow, not hostile to him like you would think. With the idea being, by "not playing into the media" this time around -- as you noticed Tebow hasn't been doing -- he seems to be demonstrating personal growth by taking those old criticisms to heart. So then we get a follow-up article saying just that, right? Ergo an apparently negative story ends up resulting in something positive to be said about him.

I think most of that is his desire to "Get the message out"...and that bothers a lot of people.

Believes love it...thus the crowds...BUT many can't stand it...and hence the hate.

I suspect...Tim won't stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator