Recruiting Jalen Julius Decommits, among many others

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I try - sincerely - not to completely dwell on last season. But my expectations for this season are low. Very low. Perhaps that's ultimately a good thing, as I won't get as angry about it. And, I could end up pleasantly surprised - I'm very open to that.

Good or bad, I just love football and am thrilled it's nearly back. Even when we suck.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox;n19119 said:
J there's really no room for debate that Foley kept him because of the injuries.
The injuries certainly gave Foley a convenient excuse to keep him, that's for sure. Believe it or not, it is possible to do a good coaching job (win or lose) even when you don't have your best players. What we saw last season was poor coaching - period.

GatorInKnox

Founding Member
The Sicilian
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous;n19122 said:
The injuries certainly gave Foley a convenient excuse to keep him, that's for sure. Believe it or not, it is possible to do a good coaching job (win or lose) even when you don't have your best players. What we saw last season was poor coaching - period.
I agree. I think the offense just bled into every aspect of the game and just killed the spirit. It was his job to keep that from happening. I'm just interested to see what happens this year with even a mediocre to slightly bad offense.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's part of the reason. I think the other reason is because he don't want the program to be viewed as a turnstile for coaches. Where he will yank you before you've had the chance to make your mark. But let's say, he wins 8 games is that enough? Or say he wins 9 games but loses to Georgia for the 4th time in a row. Is that enough? Foley had the unbridled support of the entire fan base to move on but he elected not to. What's harder to sell to a prospective coach: We'll fire you if you win 8 games and lose at home to a Georgia Southern team (with 16 season ending injuries to boot) that never completed a single pass against you. OR, we're going to fire you if you consistently win less than 70% of your games (9-4)?

The window was at the end of last year.

ntcrze

Founding Member
Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
GatorInKnox said:
He gave a pass last year because of the injuries. Anyone in the business will tell you we had a freak year last year. He would seriously look like a moron if he fires a coach after looking at this list:
Jeff DriskelQBBroken fibulaTennessee (most); Kentucky-present
Tyler MurphyQBShoulder injuries (AC sprain)South Carolina (full), Georgia Southern (full)
Matt JonesRBViral infection, torn meniscusToledo (game); LSU (most); Missouri-present
Mack BrownRBAnkleLSU (part)
Valdez ShowersRBAnkleTennessee (game), Kentucky (game)
Andre DeboseWR/KRTorn ACLFull season
Solomon PattonWR/KRKneeVanderbilt (part)
Colin ThompsonTEFoot stress fractureTennessee-present (full)
D.J. HumphriesLTSprained MCL; recurrenceToledo, Miami (part); Georgia-present (full)
Max GarciaLGUnknownMiami (part)
Jonotthan HarrisonCUnknownMiami (part)
Jon HalapioRGTorn pectoral; eye pokeToledo, Miami (full)
Tyler MooreRT/LTAnkleMiami (part); Tennessee (full); Vanderbilt-present
Chaz GreenRTTorn labrumFull season
Dominique EasleyDTTorn ACL, meniscusKentucky-present (full)
Damien JacobsDTHeadLSU (part); Missouri (full)
Ronald PowellLB/BuckAnkleMissouri (full)
Darrin KitchensLB"Chronic shoulder problems"Missouri (full)
Antonio MorrisonMLBTorn meniscusVanderbilt (part); South Carolina (full)
Alex AnzaloneLBAnkleLSU (full)
Matt RolinOLBTorn ACLFull season
Jeremi PowellLB/STTorn ACLMissouri (part); Georgia-present (full)
Marcus RobersonCBKnee; ankleTennessee-Arkansas (full); Vanderbilt (part); South Carolina (full)
Loucheiz PurifoyCBThigh contusionTennessee (part)
Nick WashingtonCBShoulderTennessee-present (full)
I have a question for you. How many of the guys you listed were actually good players? You also list Patton because he missed part of the Vanderbilt game? How many people were clamoring for Morrison to be benched before he got injured? How many people were saying the same thing about Tyler Moore? Has Andre Debose ever been a good receiver in his entire career? With the production on the field of Ronald Powell, was he ever noticed when he was on the field? I could go on and and on. The point is that, even when healthy, most of the Gator team played horrendously last year. It wasn't just injuries hthat were the reason. Even one of the stars, Dante Fowler, didn't show up in some games. If you think that is wrong, I didn't say it, D.J. Durkin is the one who did. No it's not just injuries that are the reason Muschamp was retained. A big reason is Jeremy Foley's ego. He thought he was the smartest man in college football when he hired Will Muschamp. No one saw it coming, but Foley was the genius who knew what he was doing when he hired a guy who had never been a head coach. It's hard for me to believe Foley will fire Muschamp this year if the Gators only win seven games. Why, because it would be a public admission of being wrong to hire Muschamp in the first place. I think Foley's ego is too large to do that. Foley did make a brilliant hire when he got Billy Donovan, he expected the same with Muschamp.But if UF has another mediocre year and loses to Georgia again, Foley will either have to eat crow or be sent packing along with Muschamp.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
GatorJ;n19118 said:
not Zook.0? You're right. His record is worse.

Here's his record versus SEC schools since he's been our HC. Not sure why he's still here. So what makes you think Foley won't keep him?

Muschamp (1st 3 years) 13-11 = 54% Win (Lost to an GS at home and Vandy on HC along with first losing season since 1979)

Zook (1st 3 years) 16-8 = 67%

Meyer (1st 3 years) 17-7 = 71% (and a Heisman winner and a NC)
That makes my head hurt.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Why do we just repeat the same arguments over and over?

Everyone has stated their "take" on last season repeatedly (including me) and nothing new is being presented.

Personally I'm happy to let go of last year and look forward to the coming season. We appear to have talent, more depth, a new OC and line coach, more experienced coaches and motivation. The only real concern I have is our very hard schedule. Even with a few breaks, it might be hard to win more that 8 games and 8 wins would just insure more :wobble: on this board.

:blahblah:

Attachments

• conv_370.gif
    conv_370.gif
    3.3 KB · Views: 52

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous said:
Fishon;n19050 said:
This thread really delivers... On whiny bitches
07-minister.jpg
I don't think anyone is that concerned about a 3 star going elsewhere. The concern is that we mostly have 3 stars and not many of them.

But at least we are doing better than Wake Forest.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I've said this before, recruiting wise last year was the year to fire him. Now i wouldn't be surprised if he were fired after a blow out loss to bama. Either way, if we don't have a great year fsu. Just keeps moving ahead of us.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n19049 said:
Yeah, but these days most schools have 75-80% of their class committed before the season starts. We should be waiting on 5-7 kids on NSD and working on 2016 right now. ÃŽnstead, we're scrambling to keep the few 3 star commits we have left on board. There is absolutely no way to put this in a positive light.
What do you really expect when we have a lame duck coach and a dumpster fire for an offense since 09? I don't blame kids one bit for waiting to see how we do this year...it's actually the smart way to do it. If we come out and have a good year on the field and show some promise we will have a great class. The state of Florida is stacked once again this year and we are in the top for a lot of these kids especially the big dogs like Cowart, CeCe, and Ivey just to name a few. We win on the field we'll land a top class. If we don't...we are going to be set back another 3-4 years...at best...

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
oxrageous said:
GatorInKnox;n19069 said:
Either we'll blow and get a new coach or we'll be significantly better and the class will fill out just fine. There's no reason to think the sky is falling before Fall camp starts.
Or the most likely scenario, we have a mediocre 8-4 season and Muschamp remains employed but still on a hot seat. What happens to the class then?
That is the real fear from a recruiting standpoint. But....if those 4 losses are close and against the tougher teams, some of the kids will see themselves as the missing piece.

kepler

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n19049 said:
Yeah, but these days most schools have 75-80% of their class committed before the season starts. We should be waiting on 5-7 kids on NSD and working on 2016 right now. ÃŽnstead, we're scrambling to keep the few 3 star commits we have left on board. There is absolutely no way to put this in a positive light.

Well said. Texas always wrapped up their class early. While our rivals are cherry picking, we'll be left fighting to fill our class. There is no good news here.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
kepler said:
MJMGator;n19049 said:

Well said. Texas always wrapped up their class early. While our rivals are cherry picking, we'll be left fighting to fill our class. There is no good news here.
Texas hasn't been very good in a while with all those early classes...

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I think 3 out of 4 of the decommits have been DBs.. an area where we have depth and not many seniors, so it might not hurt us that much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.