Jeff Driskel had back spasms per family

ufgator812

Founding Member
Duke of Marlborough
Lifetime Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
There is absolutely no way this kid was forced to play.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n84971 said:
Just curious and an honest question, but where is the line drawn? When is it OK to boo? We all know it's ok to boo a coach or an NFL Player/ Coach because they are paid for playing/professionals. Well, when the time comes that we start paying these college players, will it be ok then? They already get full rides but I understand that doesn't qualify them for professional but what about getting paid for their autographs? That changes their eligibility doesn't it?

Don't boo college players. Just because they get a scholarship doesn't make them a free target. You want to boo the coach? Feel free, he has a 7-figure box of tissue to help him out with the depression. You want to boo the pros? Same thing applies to them.

Selling autographs doesn't make you a professional. Signing an NFL contract makes you a professional.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n84919]

Again, I'm speaking strictly to the bellyaching by the parents, which is a separate subject. Muschamp's quarterback management last night? Yes, it was ridiculous. [/QUOTE]

While I respect your opinion and agree with you on WM's management of JD. As far as the parents go.....even though he may be on scholoarship he is not owned by UF and the responsibility of his health is still the parents. If I were his Dad, WM would have my firm GRIP around his throat and firmly planting my foot on the backside directly in the MIDLINE.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n84977 said:
They were booing the coach.

Yea they were booing the coach and it was obvious at the game. Totally different from watching it on TV but painfully obvious at the game.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Gatoravatara;n84977 said:
They were booing the coach.

Awfully convenient timing to boo the coach, right after Driskel made his worst mistakes of the night. Quite the coincidence.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n84976 said:
Don't boo college players. Just because they get a scholarship doesn't make them a free target. You want to boo the coach? Feel free, he has a 7-figure box of tissue to help him out with the depression. You want to boo the pros? Same thing applies to them.

Selling autographs doesn't make you a professional. Signing an NFL contract makes you a professional.

So it comes down to signing a contract and being paid? My question still stands. The time will come when these college players are paid. They already sign contracts to play for a team. 98% of them are over the age of 18 making them adults. They aren't "kids". I'm just trying to understand where the line of not booing lies?

BTW, I agree with your point of the parents not wanting their kids to be hurt.

the_alphagator1906

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n84978 said:
While I respect your opinion and agree with you on WM's management of JD. As far as the parents go.....even though he may be on scholoarship he is not owned by UF and the responsibility of his health is still the parents. If I were his Dad, WM would have my firm GRIP around his throat and firmly planting my foot on the backside directly in the MIDLINE.

LOL...So...you actually know what a midline is? :scratchchin:

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Sorry, I don't get the "forced to play" thing. I'm not unfeeling but JD has a mouth, he can say no anytime. And all of this is 2nd-3rd hand stuff on a message board. And speaking of "projecting shortcomings onto easy targets", sounds like this place.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n84986 said:
So it comes down to signing a contract and being paid? My question still stands. The time will come when these college players are paid. They already sign contracts to play for a team. 98% of them are over the age of 18 making them adults. They aren't "kids". I'm just trying to understand where the line of not booing lies?

BTW, I agree with your point of the parents not wanting their kids to be hurt.

The line is pretty simple, don't boo college players. It's classless and gutless.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n84990 said:
The line is pretty simple, don't boo college players. It's classless and gutless.

Ok, let's move this discussion away from Driskel since its obvious you are related to him.

You said you simply don't boo college players. Am I to assume you are the only one in the swamp that doesn't boo when the FSU players take the field? You don't boo when any opposing players mocks the chomp in our house? You don't boo Marshall Henderson does the Land Shark? You don't boo when there's a player altercation? Or is it you just don't boo your own team? That's kinda what I'm trying to understand with the line.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n85005 said:
Ok, let's move this discussion away from Driskel since its obvious you are related to him.

You said you simply don't boo college players. Am I to assume you are the only one in the swamp that doesn't boo when the FSU players take the field? You don't boo when any opposing players mocks the chomp in our house? You don't boo Marshall Henderson does the Land Shark? You don't boo when there's a player altercation? Or is it you just don't boo your own team? That's kinda what I'm trying to understand with the line.

I boo when the other team takes the field because it's something fun to do that every home stadium does when the opposing team comes out. If some dipsh*t like Marshall Henderson is egging the crowd on, then he's asking for it. It also has absolutely nothing to do with Driskel individually, he's just the subject of this thread. If any player, Driskel or not, is playing poorly (which he was against Missouri, but I'm sure you'll conveniently cherry pick around me saying that), there's no reason to boo him whatsoever. Especially when it's a player on your own team.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n85007 said:
I boo when the other team takes the field because it's something fun to do that every home stadium does when the opposing team comes out. If some dipsh*t like Marshall Henderson is egging the crowd on, then he's asking for it. It also has absolutely nothing to do with Driskel individually, he's just the subject of this thread. If any player, Driskel or not, is playing poorly (which he was against Missouri, but I'm sure you'll conveniently cherry pick around me saying that), there's no reason to boo him whatsoever. Especially when it's a player on your own team.

Sas, I'm not cherry picking anything, I'm just responding to your ambiguous statements. It's why I asked a simple question hoping to get a simple answer from you. We finally got there. Your feeling is you don't boo the college players of the team you cheer for.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I don't think Muschamp forced Driskel to play. He may not be a good coach, but he has always seemed to care about his players. I do think Driskel had no business being in the game after the fumble return. I also agree that you don't boo a college player for poor performance. They get full scholarships, but that doesn't set you up for life. Boo a coach... They are making millions. I have no issue with that.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
I think when people she'll out hundreds on tix and gear they tend to get invested and sometimes allow their emotions to take over... I would have been ticked if I was there Saturday...

ReelGatorDoc

Sep 9, 2014
I watched on TV and Driskell looked anemic...pale. I was thinking he had the flu or something. He looked panicked, indecisive and slow. Other than that, the kid was ready to give it his all. I feel it's in his head now and not sure he can recover the attitude and confidence needed to succeed at QB.

Fishon

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
NVGator;n85011 said:
Sas, I'm not cherry picking anything, I'm just responding to your ambiguous statements. It's why I asked a simple question hoping to get a simple answer from you. We finally got there. Your feeling is you don't boo the college players of the team you cheer for.

The real question is why are you looking for some sort of permission to boo some college kids that represent your university? Why is that something you need to do? I saw some absolutely gutless cowardly behavior from our fans on Saturday and it was embarrassing.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n84952 said:
Booing a college player is bullsh*t, but I know how much people love to project their own shortcomings onto easy targets like college football players who aren't performing to their expectations. Best moment of the night was the "Let's go, Driskel" chant from the student section while he was lying on the ground hurt in the 2nd quarter.

As usual, Sasquatch the pumper is way off base here. We pay real money for a ticket to watch a game, and that means we are entitled to say or yell anything we want. If Driskel or his parents don't want us yelling that he is a fking piece of sht who is too dumb to mouth-breathe on his own, the he should stop being one. We pay for their scholarships, and so that means we own them. We can say or do whatever we want and they should take it.

You seem to think, Sasquatch, that a kid who by all appearances practices hard, doesn't get into trouble, has the respect of his teammates, and tries his hardest on the field somehow deserves some kind of respect for that? Bullsht! We demand he play hurt, we demand he take ridicule, we demand that he feel pain, just like we do as fans.

Am I right folks? At least Hernandez was a winner.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
the_alphagator1906;n84740 said:
One of my fraternity brothers said he was sitting directly in front of Jeff's parents at the game. He said that he felt sorry for Jeff because his parents were upset at the fact that Jeff was even playing. He heard them say something like "Jeff shouldn't be out there, he was having severe back spasms earlier in the week." That kind of explained why Jeff was even more terrible than usual. That is on Muschamp. Why put that guy in that situation?

It is exactly what Ox said in his post game podcast (good podcast btw). It seemed like Muschamp was almost trying to embarrass Jeff for some reason. Well, I heard Muschamp say in his post game interview on the raid "I hope everybody can now see that we aren't a drop back passing team. We need to run the ball...." In other words you kept putting Jeff out there to prove a point? Why embarrass your QB/fans/players just to say "see there, I told you so"? Wow

Not sure what to think about that after hearing Jeff's dad was constantly threatening to have him transfer if the starting job wasn't given to him in that 2012 season. That is what a lot of people were claiming anyway. I think they may be more hurt that there son doesn't have it to play QB at a high level.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Some good comments here, but I'm afraid something is a bit remiss. We've failed to acknowledge that once you've become the national player of the year and have been recruited by all the top teams in the country and you end up as starting quarterback at the University of Florida, the subject of massive media attention, you're perhaps no longer momma's little boy tucked away in a dorm room. You're a public figure and with it comes a boatload of exposure in the form of good and bad. Sorry, Jeff, but if booing is that psychologically damaging, a career in ag science was probably a better choice. Re the appearance that Muschamp forced Driskel to play against his will and his parents' best wishes, maybe from now on the team should bring in an independent medical examiner along with an injury lawyer from the biggest billboard in town to certify in advance whether the player isn't willing to stand up for himself and is being subject to undue physical risk. We certainly wouldn't want anyone getting injured playing football.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator