Jeff Driskel starting for Lions

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If your coach was chump or butters I’m inclined toward leniency for leaving.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Driskel played pretty well today. Trask playing better than any QB we've had since Tebow. Swamp Donkey"s shambles are in shambles.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
Quarterback
No one expected Jeff Driskel to be starting for the Lions, but the backup quarterback put together a decent day and played well enough for the team to have a shot at the end of the game.

The passing attack was largely conservative, focusing on short throws and often with moving pockets to take advantage of Driskel's mobility. He completed 58.7% of his 46 throws, in line with his career average, that included a 47-yard touchdown to Kenny Golladay while evading pressure.

Driskel's feet were an asset. In addition to escaping pressure multiple times, he scrambled on five occasions for a team-high 37 yards. Grade: B

Jeff just keeps on keepin' on. He deserves a tip of the cap just for that.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
For the Tebow lovers here--maybe you hang out with him in his $20 million Jax mansion--he never would have accepted not starting in the NFL, at least not for very long. In his own words, if he was going to play football, he had to be THE MAN.

So he moved on. Good lesson there for some on here.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
For the Tebow lovers here--maybe you hang out with him in his $20 million Jax mansion--he never would have accepted not starting in the NFL, at least not for very long. In his own words, if he was going to play football, he had to be THE MAN.

Good lesson for some on here how? Explain that last sentence in detail.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018

You’re conveniently leaving out the other half of the equation - the amount of media attention he brought would not be acceptable to executives for a backup. And the sad part about that is he was doing positive things but ESPN and the rest of the media painted it as divisive. You want to see agenda in the media look at the enduring coverage of Tebow and Kap. Tebow was essentially run out of football for being an open and devout Christian - talk show people claimed that is divisive (how? Find me anywhere that Jesus was anything but inclusive. I’d also challenge anyone to find one instance of Tebow being divisive or non-inclusive). Kap hasn’t played in years but ESPN is still trying to find a way to get him employed because of his divisive antics. And all those defenders out there, I don’t care if you think its not divisive - the reaction to what he did objectively demonstrates that it was. I’m not debating whether it was right or wrong, only that it was divisive.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You’re conveniently leaving out the other half of the equation - the amount of media attention he brought would not be acceptable to executives for a backup. And the sad part about that is he was doing positive things but ESPN and the rest of the media painted it as divisive. You want to see agenda in the media look at the enduring coverage of Tebow and Kap. Tebow was essentially run out of football for being an open and devout Christian - talk show people claimed that is divisive (how? Find me anywhere that Jesus was anything but inclusive. I’d also challenge anyone to find one instance of Tebow being divisive or non-inclusive). Kap hasn’t played in years but ESPN is still trying to find a way to get him employed because of his divisive antics. And all those defenders out there, I don’t care if you think its not divisive - the reaction to what he did objectively demonstrates that it was. I’m not debating whether it was right or wrong, only that it was divisive.

Seabee, both are out of the league for one reason, their production didn't match their trouble. If you are a head coach or a GM do you want to be answering question every day why you aren't starting one of these guys over a qb that is more accomplished and has a better skill set than them. Neither were able to be effective enough passers to start in the league, and they both have feverish fanbases that wouldn't stop on a staff or management until they were given another opportunity if on the roster. In the most pass friendly rules in league history neither could get to 60% completion percentage when the bottom tier for a starter is 62%. For the league it comes down to business, and as an organization both of these gentlemen would be a distraction that wasn't worth the price tag (being neither would be on a rookie wage scale).

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016

Kaepernick is being blacklisted. His protests are sincere; they are not "antics."

I don't believe for a second Tebow was run out of football for being a devout Christian. Look at Clemson's program and the number of devout Christians they've sent to the NFL. Look at all the pros praying, especially when someone is hurt. Being a devout Christian wasn't a problem for Danny Wuerffel.

"Tebow played in the first two of New England's preseason games, against the Eagles and the Buccaneers; he completed just five passes in both games, was sacked several times and intercepted once, intensifying criticism of his football acumen. He went 6-for-11 for 91 yards, throwing a pair of touchdown passes and one interception, and gained 30 yards on six carries against the New York Giants, but he also was sacked four times. He threw a total of two touchdown passes and two interceptions in the preseason and had a passer rating of 47.2 and completed 36.7% of his passes."

He was cut for his failings as a QB.

Gatorup!

Nov 14, 2016
Hey OX, to explain it simply and clearly, folks should stop blaming the NFL ((and the media) for Tebow's not making it as a professional QB. He had his chances, and he couldn't cut the mustard.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Seabee, both are out of the league for one reason, their production didn't match their trouble. If you are a head coach or a GM do you want to be answering question every day why you aren't starting one of these guys over a qb that is more accomplished and has a better skill set than them. Neither were able to be effective enough passers to start in the league, and they both have feverish fanbases that wouldn't stop on a staff or management until they were given another opportunity if on the roster. In the most pass friendly rules in league history neither could get to 60% completion percentage when the bottom tier for a starter is 62%. For the league it comes down to business, and as an organization both of these gentlemen would be a distraction that wasn't worth the price tag (being neither would be on a rookie wage scale).
I don’t dispute that. I was stating why neither is a back-up and the difference in how they are treated by the media. Both could be back-ups but, like we’ve both said, aren’t worth the headaches.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Kaepernick is being blacklisted. His protests are sincere; they are not "antics."

I don't believe for a second Tebow was run out of football for being a devout Christian. Look at Clemson's program and the number of devout Christians they've sent to the NFL. Look at all the pros praying, especially when someone is hurt. Being a devout Christian wasn't a problem for Danny Wuerffel.

"Tebow played in the first two of New England's preseason games, against the Eagles and the Buccaneers; he completed just five passes in both games, was sacked several times and intercepted once, intensifying criticism of his football acumen. He went 6-for-11 for 91 yards, throwing a pair of touchdown passes and one interception, and gained 30 yards on six carries against the New York Giants, but he also was sacked four times. He threw a total of two touchdown passes and two interceptions in the preseason and had a passer rating of 47.2 and completed 36.7% of his passes."

You’re an idiot. Kap isn’t a good QB either and brings a ton of negative press with him. That’s indisputable. And his “sincerity” isn’t at issue - its what he does to a fan base that is. Tebow uses his fame to visit hospitals, shelters, etc. Kap kneels during the national anthem because he knows it’ll cause a stir. I’m sure he’s done some other community stuff but none of that started before the backlash from his stunt meant to generate attention. Tebow’s deeds were authentic and would’ve happened with or without fame.

Worst decision Kap ever made was dating that radical DJ. Ever read her stuff? She’s a loon and a major reason he can’t get an interview. No one wants to be seen as endorsing her.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Douglas78 put it succinctly. I don't have any doubt that if Tebow had been great in the NFL, he would still be there, regardless of views. The same with Kapernick. From the knee to the socks to the Che/Castro praising, he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, including the fans. His skillset isn't enough to make it worth the headache. There's a reason someone like Pacman Jones stayed in the league as long as he did. He was good enough for teams to overlook the constant arrests and issues. Kapernick was/is not.

And stop with the sincere nonsense. He was looking for attention and he got it. He just kept doubling down hoping the house would fold and they didn't. Neither were good enough players for the NFL, but at least Tebow is a decent guy all around. And to Seebea's point, I do think he could have a role somewhere as a backup/situational player. But he brings too much attention and becomes a distraction for the team. It's just not a good fit, and I think he even recognized that and stepped aside.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Bears are struggling but the defense isn’t. Driskel had a decent game and gave his team a chance to win. At that size, with those legs, that arm and that release, there will always be work.

Yet another example of a UF quarterback underutilized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.