Jeff Driskel: Thoughts after Week 1

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
No one has been harder on Driskel than me. I think he did a good if not great job. It's really the first time that he's contributed throughout the game. In his best games in the past, Tinerc '12 and UFS 12, he was shut down by our coaches due to his inefficiency in one half of the game. He also contributed without turning the ball over. All of his other bigger yardage (relatively speaking) games, we had 4-6 turnovers. It's a huge change and he was obviously getting the correct in game instruction because he was throwing those deep balls differently in the second half. Hopefully, he'll get the timing down and start hitting the receivers in stride. It's a lot easier to type that than to do it.

I haven't watched the play again, but I remember on Treon's first touchdown that I didn't see a safety. It's sometimes hard to see on a regular tv feed so forgive me if I'm wrong. They certainly weren't playing a zero defense against Driskel.

Some have complained about the long across the field passes but that is frankly Driskel's strength, namely his arm strength. You can throw a screen to the short side and have 8 defenders on that half of the field or throw it to the field side and have 3 defenders. If you have the arm strength, you get one of our playmakers on the edge with only two defenders to beat. If the corner jumps the route, an up and out is an easy TD. I don't think it's was an error on his part. Roper DID not adjust that during the half. Is it risky? Yes, but I'm sure he's being coached to recognize when not to toss it.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :( said:
This mantra was repeated during the offseason and I'll say it again: Jeff doesn't need to be great; just average. He was above average on Saturday and I'll take it. Yes, there are still a lot of issues with his game, but where he's at right now is good enough for us to win.

The best play of the game for me by Driskel is when the pocket collapsed on him and he had the presence of mind to find his tackle, get outside the tackle box, and then throw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack and an interception by not trying to force something. That is what we need out of a 4th year QB. I think Driskel is going to come out in the Kentucky game with a lot of confidence and play even better than he did against EMU.
Spot on.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n46077 said:
No one has been harder on Driskel than me. I think he did a good if not great job. It's really the first time that he's contributed throughout the game. In his best games in the past, Tinerc '12 and UFS 12, he was shut down by our coaches due to his inefficiency in one half of the game. He also contributed without turning the ball over. All of his other bigger yardage (relatively speaking) games, we had 4-6 turnovers. It's a huge change and he was obviously getting the correct in game instruction because he was throwing those deep balls differently in the second half. Hopefully, he'll get the timing down and start hitting the receivers in stride. It's a lot easier to type that than to do it.

I haven't watched the play again, but I remember on Treon's first touchdown that I didn't see a safety. It's sometimes hard to see on a regular tv feed so forgive me if I'm wrong. They certainly weren't playing a zero defense against Driskel.

Some have complained about the long across the field passes but that is frankly Driskel's strength, namely his arm strength. You can throw a screen to the short side and have 8 defenders on that half of the field or throw it to the field side and have 3 defenders. If you have the arm strength, you get one of our playmakers on the edge with only two defenders to beat. If the corner jumps the route, an up and out is an easy TD. I don't think it's was an error on his part. Roper DID not adjust that during the half. Is it risky? Yes, but I'm sure he's being coached to recognize when not to toss it.

Good post Law98, glad you are man enough to give the kid his due after this game.

Still, a lot of FB to be played.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Coach9 said:
Taking care of the football is so underrated. Ball security is paramount.
Totally agree...

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n46077 said:

Good stuff Law and analysis. I was too impressed with JD. I really think he's finally getting some coaching that he did not get from the Cheezeburger and the Peeze.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr;n46106 said:
Good stuff Law and analysis. I was too impressed with JD. I really think he's finally getting some coaching that he did not get from the Cheezeburger and the Peeze.
I think you're spot on about the coaching. I think he's gonna benefit from it greatly this season.

HogtownGator

It's Great to be a CCW
Aug 8, 2014
BufordGator;n45421 said:
Was fortunate enough to be at the game and was very excited to see the new offense!
love love love that Champ let Roper really run the offense and it is apparent now we have the play makers to be very competitive in the SEC on BOTH sides of the ball..
some concerns though w Driskel

1. he runs the hurry up very slowly.
2. he still doesn't look around for options even if he has time and man he sure had time, he locks in on one receiver and always throws in that direction. Scary to think about vs SEC competition
3. he still looks uncomfortable out there

I am praying this was just first game jitters but I frankly don't get why he doesn't look around the field for second and third options EVER!

comments please .

Is that you ZZ?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
See what happens when you join my wolf pack law, they let you off easy.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
divits said:
BufordGator;n45421 said:
Was fortunate enough to be at the game and was very excited to see the new offense!
love love love that Champ let Roper really run the offense and it is apparent now we have the play makers to be very competitive in the SEC on BOTH sides of the ball..

2. he still doesn't look around for options even if he has time and man he sure had time, he locks in on one receiver and always throws in that direction. Scary to think about vs SEC competition

I am praying this was just first game jitters but I frankly don't get why he doesn't look around the field for second and third options EVER!

comments please .

1. Muschamp said in his presser that we weren't running the hurry up as fast as we can and that we can go faster. That was by design.
2. I rewatched the game and only saw this a couple times. Many of the plays were designed bang-bang throws to the flat because the defense was playing so far off the receivers so of course he was only going to look at that one receiver.
3. I didn't see this at all. He appeared to look comfortable and had command of the offense. No interceptions, a few long passes dropped. He was held in check as far as running otherwise he'd have had 60 yards on the ground.

What I was most concerned about....once again....was the play of the offensive line. There is no reason that Driskel should have had any pressure at all let alone a sack and another that Driskel was able to shrug off and throw out of bounds. I fear that our lack of depth there (especially now with the injuries) is going to lose some games for us.
Well said.
:clap:

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I Have No Friends :( said:
This mantra was repeated during the offseason and I'll say it again: Jeff doesn't need to be great; just average. He was above average on Saturday and I'll take it. Yes, there are still a lot of issues with his game, but where he's at right now is good enough for us to win.

The best play of the game for me by Driskel is when the pocket collapsed on him and he had the presence of mind to find his tackle, get outside the tackle box, and then throw the ball out of bounds to avoid a sack and an interception by not trying to force something. That is what we need out of a 4th year QB. I think Driskel is going to come out in the Kentucky game with a lot of confidence and play even better than he did against EMU.

Good post, great points. It's also refreshing that your expectations have been exceeded by Driskel. I know you said he was above average and not great, but it's still refreshing. I'm glad we thumped a team we should have. We can all ...er, most be happy for a week!

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Driskel looked really good. He hasn't played played in a year and he throws the ball 45 times without a turnover in his first live game in this system. If you look at Dunbar when he dropped that deep ball ,it was right on the money he shouldn't have dove . He should have ran through the ball. And it seems like there was more dropped deep balls. As the season goes on and he picks this system up and he's asked to do more I think he's going to have a great year. I was very impressed with him.
I noticed that about Dunbar too. Some of his throws were a little off, but that one was on the money.

I also noticed that Demarcus Robinson pulled a Reed and hauled in an unnecessary jump-catch. :lol:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Driskel looked really good. He hasn't played played in a year and he throws the ball 45 times without a turnover in his first live game in this system. If you look at Dunbar when he dropped that deep ball ,it was right on the money he shouldn't have dove . He should have ran through the ball. And it seems like there was more dropped deep balls. As the season goes on and he picks this system up and he's asked to do more I think he's going to have a great year. I was very impressed with him.
Yea I see that one to. Robinson looked like a freak though.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Couple of thoughts. First, I thought Jeff played well. To me, he looked more comfortable than he has at any time in his UF career. Clearly that's coaching and providing a system that enhances his skill set. So hats of to the coaches there. Additionally, considering the drought of real snaps he faced the past 12 months, I think it's obvious that he will only continue to improve throughout the year, which should help to somewhat mitigate the increase in competition. I've not always been his biggest supporter, but keep in mind that he was recruited--and subsequently dumped--by Meyer and his system, shown the ropes by Brantley, got his first real action against eventual NC Alabama, and endured 2 abysmal OC's in his first 3 years. The fact that he's not rocking himself to sleep in his room at Shady Acres in Tampa is a miracle in itself. Secondly, not sure if it's been touched on yet, but I believe this is the first time since 2008 that we've had a WR corps that can instill some concern, if not fear, in opposing coaches. Even the Nelson/Coop/DT trio of 2009 was average, and with the utmost respect for their efforts, guys like Hines, Hammond, Burton, Patton etc should never be the focal point of our passing game. Fullwood, Robinson, Dunbar and Debose have the potential to be a huge threat for us, and should also be given a lot of credit for the improvements in Driskel's performance. And while it sucks to see McGee go down, I did think Burton put in a solid showing Saturday, so credit to him. We'll need him now.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator said:
Couple of thoughts. First, I thought Jeff played well. To me, he looked more comfortable than he has at any time in his UF career. Clearly that's coaching and providing a system that enhances his skill set. So hats of to the coaches there. Additionally, considering the drought of real snaps he faced the past 12 months, I think it's obvious that he will only continue to improve throughout the year, which should help to somewhat mitigate the increase in competition. I've not always been his biggest supporter, but keep in mind that he was recruited--and subsequently dumped--by Meyer and his system, shown the ropes by Brantley, got his first real action against eventual NC Alabama, and endured 2 abysmal OC's in his first 3 years. The fact that he's not rocking himself to sleep in his room at Shady Acres in Tampa is a miracle in itself. Secondly, not sure if it's been touched on yet, but I believe this is the first time since 2008 that we've had a WR corps that can instill some concern, if not fear, in opposing coaches. Even the Nelson/Coop/DT trio of 2009 was average, and with the utmost respect for their efforts, guys like Hines, Hammond, Burton, Patton etc should never be the focal point of our passing game. Fullwood, Robinson, Dunbar and Debose have the potential to be a huge threat for us, and should also be given a lot of credit for the improvements in Driskel's performance. And while it sucks to see McGee go down, I did think Burton put in a solid showing Saturday, so credit to him. We'll need him now.
Good post. Glad you made your way here.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Im a lone wolf. Definitely a lone wolf.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator said:

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I thought this thread was Jeff Driskel's thought after week 1.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
BufordGator;n45421 said:

comments please .

1. You only need to go fast enough to keep the other team from substituting and to see their formation. Plus it was the first game in this new scheme.
2. Always? Not even close, I saw numerous times when he did the exact opposite of what you say.
3. The only uncomfortable thing I saw him do was deliberately not take off and run or keep the ball when it seemed like he wanted to.

He certainly wasn't perfect but IMO he doesn't need to be.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator said:
Sorry you're in. It's blood in blood out homie.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
JD looked pretty good, not great. He completed over 30 passes and had a couple of long drops and drew a long PI penalty if I recall correctly. His timing still doesn't look perfect and there is no denying Harris threw 2 of the best looking passes of the game. But still Jeff did a good job running the offense, and it can only help us for defensive coordinators to have seen Harris throw, because they aren't going to be able to crowd the line when he comes in like they could with Burton. And I think Jeff could have run wild on a lot of those inside runs in that last game had he optioned to keep the ball.

This offense is going to be damn hard if not impossible to contain since you have to cover our receivers sideline to sideline and they have the ability to make the first guy miss most of the time if Jeff gets them the ball quick enough. Then while you are spread out you have to deal with Taylor or Jones gashing you up the middle, and we haven't even seen Lane smashing through there yet. Stuff the middle and cover the outside receivers and you still have the option of Jeff keeping it and rolling outside or a quick strike to a slot receiver in a mismatch with a LB. That's where losing McGee hurts but there are other guys who can hopefully fill that gap.

The only thing that can hold us back is O-line play and JD's accuracy, timing and decision making. But the good news is neither have to be great, just serviceable because this offense is perfect for getting our play-makers the ball in space quickly. I really like what I saw so far and we haven't even seen the whole team or offense yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.