Jeff Driskel: Thoughts after Week 1

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
t-gator;n45882 said:
If you look at Dunbar when he dropped that deep ball ,it was right on the money he shouldn't have dove .
Agree completely. I was telling my wife and boys the same thing, had he taken one more stride rather than leaping the ball would have landed right in his hands and he would have had a straight path to the end zone.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
lagator;n46658 said:
Agree completely. I was telling my wife and boys the same thing, had he taken one more stride rather than leaping the ball would have landed right in his hands and he would have had a straight path to the end zone.

I saw the same thing I also saw a he was making that throw with a D tackle right in his face as he made that throw and got nailed.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We might have the TE we need in Goolsby.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n46806 said:
We might have the TE we need in Goolsby.
I wonder how he's coming along? Haven't heard much about him.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He was heading for a red shirt, they're gonna burn it now. Per most observers he's a real good athlete with good hands. They wanted him to work on routes, playbook and strength. I'm sure that Lewis and Roper are going to be in his ear a lot this week, and Roper's not the type to throw someone in who is not ready for it. I believe that he was starting to come on at the end of the opens but with Magee they could've given him a year to work.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We'll, if Clay Burton can be turned into a "go to" guy, there's hope for Goolsby.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, Rog, didn't mean to sound negative about the kid at all. Sorry if I did, supposedly he's a very good athlete with good hands and route running, it's just sometimes it cam be better for the kid to RS.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
hard not to like 65-0. 5.5 yds a completion just won't get it done. Reminded me of a big 12 offense...

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n46948 said:
hard not to like 65-0. 5.5 yds a completion just won't get it done. Reminded me of a big 12 offense...

Except we have a defense too!:chomp:

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n46948 said:

Part of that is on the plays that were called, part of that is on the deep coverage EMU was playing, part of that is on a couple drops on long passes, and part of that is on receivers not making DB's miss tackles. Part of it is also on Driskel, but he had a solid game for what he was given.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched the replay, and thought he looked a lot more comfortable in the second half. The game seemed to slow down for him a bit. He was looking off receivers, going to the second option, holding the ball a fraction of a second longer when he needed to, and seemed more decisive. It's been a long time since he played in a real football game, and he was doing it with a new offense. First half, I wasn't so optimistic. We were winning, but I saw a lot of the same old kid against inferior competition. Second half, I saw a better QB.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
One thing I didn't realize is why we threw so many screen passes is because it's the qbs call at the line if he sees a certain amount of guys in the box or whatever the defense is giving him. I kinda like it.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
soflagator;n46433 said:
Couple of thoughts. First, I thought Jeff played well. To me, he looked more comfortable than he has at any time in his UF career. Clearly that's coaching and providing a system that enhances his skill set. So hats of to the coaches there. Additionally, considering the drought of real snaps he faced the past 12 months, I think it's obvious that he will only continue to improve throughout the year, which should help to somewhat mitigate the increase in competition.

I did not realize until I heard post-game comments, although it's very obvious in retrospect, that the first read in Driskel's progression happens before the ball is snapped, based on the defensive alignment. I think it was Garcia who said something to the effect of "a bunch of times we were expecting a run, but he threw it, and it's all good." So I'm thinking that many of the 1st half quick shots to the sidelines were those kinds of calls. And when the safeties started cheating over to strengthen up the outside, that's when Jones and Taylor had their long runs ... when the OL matched up the in-the-box defenders one for one, and the safeties were basically off-camera.

We'll face much better defenses soon, of course, but it was encouraging, and certainly much more fun to watch than last year's offense. It really makes a difference when the defense has to defend the whole field, left to right and short to deep.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n46972 said:
One thing I didn't realize is why we threw so many screen passes is because it's the qbs call at the line if he sees a certain amount of guys in the box or whatever the defense is giving him. I kinda like it.

Then t-g, doesn't that mean Driskel took a leader's role in making those play-calls before the snap = our QB
directing things. Questions are : did he make sound decisions and will he make the more varied ones well ?
I sure hope Roper is doing the training here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator