Jeffery Todd Grantham

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
One could make a case that Grantham's defensive approach is a actually THE MOST APPROPRIATE for today's challenges. Whether he and/or CDM anticipated this, and so got to this place by deliberate choice, is also debatable.

Here's the thinking:

Alabama's offense, which historically has been Run First, has in more recent years has the personnel, and mentality, to absolutely tear up other team's a***s throwing the ball.

Georgia's offense, which historically has been Run First, has in more recent years has the personnel, and mentality, to absolutely tear up other team's a***s throwing the ball.

LSU's offense, which historically has been reasonably balanced by design but sometimes hampered by QB inconsistency, has of late had the personnel, and mentality, to absolutely tear up other team's a***s throwing the ball.

Those are our most formidable SEC rivals. You CANNOT stop those teams by lining up your standard heavy defense on first and second down. (Unless, and maybe not even if, you have 2-deep NFL quality talent everywhere in the defense.)

What you must do therefore, to have any chance, is gamble. Like Grantham. If you can put the offense in a third and long, then they have a less than 50% chance of converting.

Old concept: Success is a 3-and-out.

New concept: Success is forcing a punt on one of every three series.

(What Fromm did against us in 2019 with 3rd and long beat the odds. he had a career-best day. Doesn't prove that the strategy was wrong. Sometimes the runner gets thrown out trying to steal second. Doesn't invalidate the approach.)

Discuss.

Woodstork

Dec 19, 2019
One could make a case that Grantham's defensive approach is a actually THE MOST APPROPRIATE for today's challenges. Whether he and/or CDM anticipated this, and so got to this place by deliberate choice, is also debatable.

Here's the thinking:

Alabama's offense, which historically has been Run First, has in more recent years has the personnel, and mentality, to absolutely tear up other team's a***s throwing the ball.

Georgia's offense, which historically has been Run First, has in more recent years has the personnel, and mentality, to absolutely tear up other team's a***s throwing the ball.

LSU's offense, which historically has been reasonably balanced by design but sometimes hampered by QB inconsistency, has of late had the personnel, and mentality, to absolutely tear up other team's a***s throwing the ball.

Those are our most formidable SEC rivals. You CANNOT stop those teams by lining up your standard heavy defense on first and second down. (Unless, and maybe not even if, you have 2-deep NFL quality talent everywhere in the defense.)

What you must do therefore, to have any chance, is gamble. Like Grantham. If you can put the offense in a third and long, then they have a less than 50% chance of converting.

Old concept: Success is a 3-and-out.

New concept: Success is forcing a punt on one of every three series.

(What Fromm did against us in 2019 with 3rd and long beat the odds. he had a career-best day. Doesn't prove that the strategy was wrong. Sometimes the runner gets thrown out trying to steal second. Doesn't invalidate the approach.)

Discuss.

Interesting take.

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
We could do a lot worst than Grantham. That being said is hard to go all in with him, to me its just a matter of trust. I think the min. he leaves here (and he will leave) it will become obvious Fl. was just a stepping stone and paycheck for him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We all love Yankeetown, if for no other reason than just the av he uses. Solid poster. But it’s obvious he’s related to Grantham and I’m almost certain he already admitted it in a previous thread.

He may also be on a serious bender in addition. Not ruling that out either.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Alright. I’ve been quiet long enough. I’ve listened to a bunch of you guys bad mouth Todd long enough. Time to cut it out. A little ribbing doesn’t hurt, but the incessant insulting and picking has gone too far.

I’m not usually sensitive, but when kin is involved, I start drawing the line. Todd (Aunt Mary and Uncle Ted’s youngest) is really a pretty good guy. I like to think that he got his football start at the family get togethers when he’d want to play ball with the older ones. He was actually a tough little nut and pretty quickly learned to not cry when we’d play “Smear the Queer.” Of course he sucked when we’d play the electric football game, had a little trouble stopping the O, but he was hooked and we’re proud of where he’s wound up. And the part about smelling like pee is uncalled for, even though he did wet his britches that 4th of July when Cousin Sherry ear-holed him on the kick off.

Seriously though, I don’t think he’s as bad as some of the artists paint him. If SOS thinks he’s ok then I’m good until there’s a change. Nobody stays forever (unless you’re Bud Foster).

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
If Grantham didn't shrink on third downs then we probably wouldn't be having this conversation.
But 99% of the time he backs off and every OC knows it, and he doesn't have the horses--nor the scheme--in the backfield to make up for it.
His scheme brings some excitement, but it suffers with a lack of recruiting.
Maybe that will change, and I hope that he gets it figured out.
And as much as I detest Mickey Andrews, Grantham doesn't belong in the same conversation; comparing Grantham to Andrews and Venables is asinine.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Meh. At some point it comes down to Jimmies and Joes. Doesn't matter what you call, if the other guy is better he's gonna beat you.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Alright. I’ve been quiet long enough. I’ve listened to a bunch of you guys bad mouth Todd long enough. Time to cut it out. A little ribbing doesn’t hurt, but the incessant insulting and picking has gone too far.

I’m not usually sensitive, but when kin is involved, I start drawing the line. Todd (Aunt Mary and Uncle Ted’s youngest) is really a pretty good guy. I like to think that he got his football start at the family get togethers when he’d want to play ball with the older ones. He was actually a tough little nut and pretty quickly learned to not cry when we’d play “Smear the Queer.” Of course he sucked when we’d play the electric football game, had a little trouble stopping the O, but he was hooked and we’re proud of where he’s wound up. And the part about smelling like pee is uncalled for, even though he did wet his britches that 4th of July when Cousin Sherry ear-holed him on the kick off.

Seriously though, I don’t think he’s as bad as some of the artists paint him. If SOS thinks he’s ok then I’m good until there’s a change. Nobody stays forever (unless you’re Bud Foster).
Meh. At some point it comes down to Jimmies and Joes. Doesn't matter what you call, if the other guy is better he's gonna beat you.
Perhaps, but we've been through this before.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Alright. I’ve
I’m not usually sensitive, but when kin is involved, I start drawing the line. Todd (Aunt Mary and Uncle Ted’s youngest) is really a pretty good guy.
It is always the one you least expect.

I'm curious as to what your thoughts on his failures on third down.

His ineptitude versus the run is pretty easy to figure out, and is as easy as viewing the size of the people he chooses to play in the front seven.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
If Grantham didn't shrink on third downs .
yeah that's my uncle didn't have balls he'd be my aunt.

yes if third and Grantham were not third and Grantham we wouldn't be criticizing him.

did you really feel the need to say that?

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014

His ineptitude versus the run is pretty easy to figure out, and is as easy as viewing the size of the people he chooses to play in the front seven.

8th in rush defense isn't really the problem. The SEC isn't the ground and pound league it once was.
31st in pass defense might be.
and 40th in 3rd down defense.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I think it comes down to not getting consistent pressure with poor safety play of late. With Zuniga out, Greenard gimpy, and depth that was under construction (though we had some youth arise later), we either squatted or got lost too often with the safeties. Poor position coaching? Lack of talent/experience? Yes. There’s a reason we were heavy on the DB recruiting.

Better talent and depth, which seems to be where we’re heading makes Grantham’s style more effective. He’s no Joe Lee Dunn, who japped it up to try and hide lesser players at times as well as creating pressure. He’s more traditional (man under/man free). As long as the talent isn’t elite with the first eleven, I wouldn’t mind a few more games, especially on third down. Find a way to send at least one more than they can block from different directions. If it’s fourth and seven plus, make them get the ball out quick, before the receivers get beyond the sticks, then tackle well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think it comes down to not getting consistent pressure with poor safety play of late. With Zuniga out, Greenard gimpy, and depth that was under construction (though we had some youth arise later), we either squatted or got lost too often with the safeties. Poor position coaching? Lack of talent/experience? Yes. There’s a reason we were heavy on the DB recruiting.
No offense but this isn't new. Third and Grantham has been a thing for a decade, and he had future NFLers at every position at Georgia.

I just wondered if there's something X's and O's that you see.

The neverending blitz is fun, but on third-and-long when it's an obvious blitz situation he can't get it done. We still blitz some and we play a lot of soft shell some but he's not particularly good at either when the offense knows the blitz is coming.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think it's become pretty obvious Kyle Trask wasn't the only person Law donkey caught in his bedroom that dreadful night.
Baitn is probably the funniest poster we have.

Even when I'm busy and skimming I will always stop and see what baitn says.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
as for recruiting defensive backs....ok, where was that the last 2 years? when we landed zero safeties?

we're going to be playing the same butters leftovers garbage this year that we have been playing, and that's on Grantham and the other coaches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.