Jim Brown: Dead

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Amazing man. 87 years old passed. Discuss.

Jim Brown, one of the greatest professional and college football players of all time, has died. He was 87.

His wife, Monique, announced Brown's death in an Instagram post Friday afternoon. She said Brown "passed peacefully" Thursday night in their home in Los Angeles.

"To the world he was an activist, actor, and football star," the post stated. "To our family he was a loving and wonderful husband, father, and grandfather. Our hearts are broken..."

In 2020, Brown was selected to the NFL 100 all-time team and also was ranked as the No. 1 all-time player on the College Football 150 list to celebrate those sports' anniversaries. He was named the greatest football player ever by the Sporting News in 2002.

Brown, who was selected in the first round of the 1957 draft, played nine seasons for the Cleveland Browns (1957-65) and led the league in rushing eight of those years. He rushed for 12,312 yards and averaged 5.2 yards per carry over his career. He also was named a Pro Bowler every year he played. He led the Browns to the league championship game three times, winning the title in 1964, and was named MVP three times.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Brown could be weird. Like when Franco Harris, who wore the same #32, was approaching his all-time rushing mark. Brown didn't like Harris' running style. He threatened to unretire if Harris broke the record.

As it was, Brown, 48, challenged Harris, 34, to a televised 40-yard dash afterward and lost, five hours to four hours and 50 minutes. Most of the spectators were already home and in bed when the race ended.

And Walter Payton, whom Brown admired, became the all-time leading rusher until some Gator dude from Pensacola broke it. But then I digress.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
I was 4 his last year in the NFL, so I don't remember much about his football career.

Dude got to do a love scene with Raquel Welch in 100 Rifles.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I almost got into that movie at 15. But the Williston movie theater was vigilant and was turned away. I think it
was rated R back then.

Fodderwing

Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Lucky bastage.
68e8db5bbc15d6ced545e3fb4885c8b9.jpg

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Best ever! I still remember watching him on TV for the first time when I was 9 or 10 years old. I was blown away and became a Cleveland Browns fan.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Seems fitting that Corch glorifies someone accused of assault (both sexual and regular) several times in his life. Along with his fondness for extremely young females.

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
RIP. 87 is a pretty good run. CTEs? Don’t know but at that age probably not. That was an era when tackling technique was still taught and practiced.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Ouch. I hope you got better. :lol:
The Browns embarrassed the NFL by dominating it immediately after joining it. After 57 contests without them, I think the office of the commissioner has a binding pledge to never allow anyone to literally "Take the Browns to the Super Bowl."

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Didn't care for him personally but have to acknowledge he was a Great Running Back, he deserves to be in the RB Goat discussion.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
I see the NFL waxed the attached tribute video. That is one ****ed up organization in some of the dumbest ways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.