Jim Brown: Dead

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Was certainly one of the greatest if not the greatest. He retired when he wanted to, not because he had to. He averaged a full yard more per carry than Emmitt and almost a full yard more in than Payton. In addition to being one of the greatest football players of all time, he is also considered to be one of the greatest lacrosse players of all time. While playing both sports at Syracuse, he also played on the basketball team. He somehow also found time to participate in ROTC and received a commission upon graduation. He stayed in the Army reserves for four years and was honorably discharged as a Captain.

Whatever else, he achieved quite a bit.

Thick&ThinG8r

Lifetime Member
Aug 21, 2014
Lucky bastage.
68e8db5bbc15d6ced545e3fb4885c8b9.jpg
Looks more like she wore an athletic cup for the love scene. The original cock block. Hilarious!

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Ouch. I hope you got better. :lol:

It was 1962 and I was 10. That was before his movie career. I later became a Colts fan because of Unitas and then a Dolphin fan in 1970. I haven't been a fan of any team since 1980. I just root for Gators in the pros. Same with baseball.

Lake Gator

SUBMARINERS GO DEEPER
Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
I became a long-suffering Detroit Lions fan in 1958 at the tender age of seven. So I witnessed Jim Brown's career from black and white through color TV. Rarely did one defender bring him down. Usually, the first to latch on hung on for dear life until help arrived or Brown broke free. Fun to watch.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Too much attitude for my liking....Was he good? yes but I don't think he would have fared nearly as well against say post 1980 NFL defensive players who had become much more athletic and faster on that side of the ball. I'd probably put him behind ES, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton and a couple of guys who had to cut their career short for injuries, Gale Sayers and Billy Sims....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Too much attitude for my liking....Was he good? yes but I don't think he would have fared nearly as well against say post 1980 NFL defensive players who had become much more athletic and faster on that side of the ball. I'd probably put him behind ES, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton and a couple of guys who had to cut their career short for injuries, Gale Sayers and Billy Sims....
You're putting Jim Brown behind Billy Sims? :crazy:

Brown would have averaged 5+ YPC in any era. His era was far nastier than today.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
His era was far nastier than today.
Most of the 220# defensive tackles and sub 200# LBer's of that era were pulled out of their favorite waterholes less than an hour before gametime in that era.....Brown would have a hard time getting out of the backfield against post 1980 NFL defenses due to their size and speed.....

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Most of the 220# defensive tackles and sub 200# LBer's of that era were pulled out of their favorite waterholes less than an hour before gametime in that era.....Brown would have a hard time getting out of the backfield against post 1980 NFL defenses due to their size and speed.....

Not many would agree with you..

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
This guy was an all pro back then.....
SO?? If you put Jim Brown behind the same Oline ES ran behind, there would be no comparison.. He was bigger, fster and just as evasive as ES. I watched him play in both college and the pros.. ES would not have been in the same class.. My last on this subject..

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
SO?? If you put Jim Brown behind the same Oline ES ran behind, there would be no comparison.. He was bigger, fster and just as evasive as ES. I watched him play in both college and the pros.. ES would not have been in the same class.. My last on this subject..
He only appeared that way because he was playing against slower smaller players.....there has also been a shift within modern football where there are many more "athletic" players being on the defensive side of the ball starting in the 80's....

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
He only appeared that way because he was playing against slower smaller players.....there has also been a shift within modern football where there are many more "athletic" players being on the defensive side of the ball starting in the 80's....
Brown had Bo Jackson size, strength, and speed. He would be great in any era.

Bullag8r

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Probably not the best comparison since Bo's body gave out in 38 NFL games....yes, he played only 38 games.

Jim would have struggled mightily against the superior modern NFL defensive athletes...

While you are entitled to your opinion, however misinformed and misguided, JB was selected as the #1 football player of every era by a panel of people that know a great deal more about the subject than you do. So pardon me if disagree. I watched him in games on television not just old videos and I have watched every other great running back and there have been many,but JB is the best.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
So I guess it would have made no diiference that Jim Brown played against average LBer's who were 200# and probably ran 5.2 40's vs guys like Wilber Marshall, Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis and 100's of other LBer's who are 250# and run 4.5's-4.6's......not to mention 100's of DL's who used to average 225# and run 5.8 40's vs guys who are 300-350# and run sub 5.0 40's....Yeah....size and speed matter Jim Brown had an advantage in the 1950's and early 1960's....in today's game he would be thrown down behind the line more often than not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.