Jim McElwain's Introductory Press Conference

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
601Gator;n127350 said:
Also with the flipping of George Brown and decom. from Sheriron Jones I think its evident that Summers and Roper won't be back.
Yeah, probably so.

I'm wondering when we break out the Urban Creyer style "one coaching staff to recruit" and "one coaching staff to prepare for the bowl" tactic.

Mudd

Lurker
Aug 19, 2014
McElwain is walking in to a dumpster fire of a recruiting class this year I don't think any of the last three coaches had to deal with it being this bad, players are jumping out left and right. I feel for him on this years recruiting trail.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Mudd;n127397 said:
McElwain is walking in to a dumpster fire of a recruiting class this year I don't think any of the last three coaches had to deal with it being this bad, players are jumping out left and right. I feel for him on this years recruiting trail.

We are gonna be fine. For every one that bails, there will be one that wants to join....

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
601Gator;n127350 said:
Also with the flipping of George Brown and decom. from Sheriron Jones I think its evident that Summers and Roper won't be back.

Nothing is evident and while Roper is likely to move one, Summers is a premo line coach who I bet will stay if he wants to. I do hope that those who will be staying are announced sooner, rather than later.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
601Gator;n127350 said:

I don't think we can necessary infer that. If the coaches were telling recruits that they (the coaches) weren't coming back, we'd be hearing stronger whispers.

More likely IMO is that
(a) Muschamp as a lame duck coach would have an awkward time still selling UF (and his program) to recruits, and for the last month probably has eased up on contacting recruits for that reason, and
(b) other schools have been trying to exploit the heck out of the UF situation while they can.

But it's early yet in recruiting, there are many recruits who are still open, or flippable. We have obvious needs in many areas, and playing time is always a huge incentive. Most recruits who have "committed" are still going to listen to the coaches from a major program like UF. If they'll listen, we still have a chance. When Coach Mac says "If you have talents, skills and drive, we're going to figure out a way to put you in a position to be successful," he's got some actual successful history to point to as proof he knows how to do that, and he's worked with a lot of kids who've gone on to the NFL. Next year should be better, of course; Coach Mac himself probably doesn't have "personal connections" at this point with any of the kids who are actual or potential Florida recruits.

We'll have an uphill battle in recruiting for sure. I think some of the guys who've flipped may flip back, after McElwain and the UF coaches give them the full-court press.

But we'll get some folks who really want to be Gators, and that will be a good start on getting back to being seriously competitive. in the SEC, and nationally.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I hope that Summers is one that is retained. I am sure that he would love not to move again within a year. If JM and he hit it off I believe he would still be a good position coach for UF.

601Gator

Aug 10, 2014
I want Summers to be retained but I'm just assuming that he may be gone. He might be staying and they might have told Brown he needed to look elsewhere.

beaniemonk

Cubicle Gangster
Nov 24, 2014
From Montana, eh?

Part of me wants him to convince Jeff to stick around, and then turn him into something that resembles a competent QB.

Then I can call him "The Driskel Whisperer" and score a cheap laugh or two. It would be so worth it...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
beaniemonk;n127824 said:
Part of me wants him to convince Jeff to stick around, and then turn him into something that resembles a competent TE/H back.
FIFY... at least if Driskel wants to ever earn a paycheck.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I have seen enough of Driskel out there to not buy into him ever being a good TE either - he needs to move on to baseball.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Captain Sasquatch;n127223 said:
I think people vetted this and actually figured out that it really is him. And like I said, every single time I posted a Crucial video on GSMB it was taken down within about 5 minutes tops.

This rumor may gave legs. Looks like they've updated his bio over on GS.

If Zach Abolverdi had a dollar for every time his last name was mispronounced … he'd be ballin and draped in Polo. Born in Orlando but raised in Gainesville since 1990, dis ma'f****r grew up around Florida football during the Steve Spurrier era. He once threw a perfect spiral under Spurrier’s watchful eye at his summer camp. The Head Ball Coach told him, “That’s a nice throw for a little man with a bowl cut, but hold that ball by your ear.” The 8-year-old gunslinger replied, “I already know how to throw a football, bitch..who dis fa****t think he talkin to. Yo, you wear a visor.” He didn’t appreciate the hair cut comment either. Zach is a Youtube Amateur Award winner and somehow graduated from the University of Florida. He enjoys spending time with b***h, Channing Tatum movies and only about a dozen music artists, most of whom have "lil" as part of their name. College football, the NFL, and McDonalds storage-room free style rap battles provide his sports fix.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever;n127871 said:
I have seen enough of Driskel out there to not buy into him ever being a good TE either - he needs to move on to baseball.

It's not ability it's in his head. Let him move on to baseball, not worth the one year reclamation project.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n128194 said:
It's not ability it's in his head. Let him move on to baseball, not worth the one year reclamation project.
When's the last time he even played baseball? I know he was a late round pick but baseball is a pretty long shot.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n128586 said:
When's the last time he even played baseball? I know he was a late round pick but baseball is a pretty long shot.

Maybe a long shot, What do you think his shot at playing NFL football is?

TaterGator

Mmmm Taters
Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2014
Great forum, i'm absolutely addicted. Driskel needs to go play baseball and i hope he does extremely well cause i think he is a great guy. Coach Mac has me so pumped up from this press conference i'm doing Macflips. I hope he visits every one of florida stanks commits cause flipping even one would cause orange and blue to come blowing outta my ears.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TheDouglas78;n128631 said:
Maybe a long shot, What do you think his shot at playing NFL football is?

What do you think his shot at playing in the nba is?

Crucial

Sick Beat Writer
Dec 9, 2014
t-gator;129008 said:
What do you think his shot at playing in the nba is?
He's got the size, so that I could see.
Though he'd be on Shaqtin a Fool more than Javale McGee

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator