Recruiting Joe Burrow leaves OSU and becomes a corndog

leogator

May 5, 2018
Let's assume for the moment that Joe Burrow transfers to UF. Will any of the quarterback now on the roster transfer? I'm afraid that both Trask and Franks may transfer leaving us with just 2 QBs.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
Let's assume for the moment that Joe Burrow transfers to UF. Will any of the quarterback now on the roster transfer? I'm afraid that both Trask and Franks may transfer leaving us with just 2 QBs.

Maybe. Not that we would be much worse off we would still only have one QB worth a hoot.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Even if Burrow transfers here, which seems beyond remote, Franks will play some, probably first while Burrow learns the playbook. Burrow would likely beat him out, quickly Id expect, but he won't leave now just because we sign on.

Trash is a walkon quality 3rd-4th stringer type. He is especially limited bc he isn't a dual threat and most teams are running the middle school offense these days. He isn't going anywhere bc he has never had another option. He has also always seemed content to hold a clipboard. If he did it in high school there is no reason to think he'd jump to Div 3 or NAIA just to have a better chance at playing time.

What Burrow would do is keep us from having to play EJ too soon.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Georgia is going into this season w/ 2 scholarship QBs on the roster (after Eason transferred).

As Dan just said, we'd be just fine.

I don't ever see Trask transferring. The kid is probably as happy as a pig in sh*t having a scholarship to UF. He likely becomes a successful coach someday. Franks? He could move on, but if he leaves it's probably a step down (to 1AA).

leogator

May 5, 2018
Georgia is going into this season w/ 2 scholarship QBs on the roster (after Eason transferred).

As Dan just said, we'd be just fine.

I don't ever see Trask transferring. The kid is probably as happy as a pig in sh*t having a scholarship to UF. He likely becomes a successful coach someday. Franks? He could move on, but if he leaves it's probably a step down (to 1AA).
Georgia also has a hell of an offensive line and can protect their QBs. We don't have that luxury.

Yeah I do feel that if JoeBurrow comes that Franks will transfer. It's just a matter of when, before or after the season.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016

I really have no idea why Franks is still on the roster now. I thought when McElwain would not commit to him for the second season in a row last fall that he would transfer. Now it seems to me that he is in a different system and would be foolish not to at least see how the fall develops.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Maybe the Mac years have tainted my ability to reason, but I don't give a fook about Burrow. No more sloppy seconds. I'd rather go with Franks or Trask the first few games. If they wet the bed like we all expect them to, Mullen can put in EJ. He can take his lumps. As for the following season, JJ can be EJ's backup.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Our best-case scenario is that Burrow transfers here; he most likely understands the play book better than any of the QBs on our roster.
Burrow's understanding of the spread option via Meyer's training would place him in a great position to succeed.
The greater issue is our deficiencies regarding the O-line; however, I think that Burrow's advanced development in this system would provide us with a tremendous advantage.
I hope we get him, and he proves to be a playmaker. He can help with EJ's development while we bring some excitement back to Gator Football. Then hopefully we can build a top-ten recruiting class.
But we'd better put something exciting on the field fast, because if we don't bring I some top-flight talent in the next class we are ****ed. Just my opinion

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Maybe the Mac years have tainted my ability to reason, but I don't give a fook about Burrow. No more sloppy seconds. I'd rather go with Franks or Trask the first few games. If they wet the bed like we all expect them to, Mullen can put in EJ. He can take his lumps. As for the following season, JJ can be EJ's backup.

You need to take 8 seconds and watch his video. You'd be offering up your left nut to get him here.....

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
You need to take 8 seconds and watch his video. You'd be offering up your left nut to get him here.....
THIS. Burrow is our best chance to spark Mullin's offense and reignite the program. I would love to see this happen with EJ, but like many others, I just think he needs more time. If we don't get Burrow, I think EJ is starting no later than the Vanderbilt game...probably sooner.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Even if Burrow transfers here, which seems beyond remote, Franks will play some, probably first while Burrow learns the playbook. Burrow would likely beat him out, quickly Id expect, but he won't leave now just because we sign on.

Trash is a walkon quality 3rd-4th stringer type. He is especially limited bc he isn't a dual threat and most teams are running the middle school offense these days. He isn't going anywhere bc he has never had another option. He has also always seemed content to hold a clipboard. If he did it in high school there is no reason to think he'd jump to Div 3 or NAIA just to have a better chance at playing time.

What Burrow would do is keep us from having to play EJ too soon.
Burrow knows the playbook way better than Franks.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Lol, how could anyone rather roll with Franks or trask?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Burrow knows the playbook way better than Franks.
He will know the basic concepts but it will take a while to be ready. Mullinz and Creyer have been apart for a decade. Their plays and nomenclature are probably completely different by now.

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
1. After spending a good bit of time on bucknut sites to get a feel for Burrow (now I'm sick), I came away with them feeling their QB situation is not good. They view their 2 guys (Burrow and Haskins) being in the bottom half of the tiny10.

2. Burrow is referred to as a captain checkdown type who refuses to push the ball down the field. If true, he'd fit in perfectly at UF. :lol3:

3. He was the backup as a RSF but lost the job. This coming season, it appears Haskins has to lose the job and Meyer is already on record as saying Martell will be a part of the offensive game plan since he's such a playmaker running the ball. Meaning, after 4 years, he's 3rd string.

Why again am I supposed to want this guy? I watched his tape. What I could find that is. lol. I wasn't impressed. He's an upgrade over Franks and Trask sure. But, all I saw was a solid career backup. I don't want that taking up a scholly or snaps from EJ. If OSU fans don't care for him, why should I?

maheo30

Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Well, they haven't been a completely incompetent football team in desperate need of a QB for the last 9 years or so....

I feel the pain. Trask and Franks seem to be garbage. The problem is, UF fans are so starved they'll settle for Burrow. He may not be garbage. However, Burrow does seem to be fast food. I don't want to eat either.

Last edited:

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
What's the old saying? If you have 2 QBs then you have none?? I am guessing they didn't say that when we had Danny W, Terry Dean, and Erik Kresser. Or Rex Grossman and Jesse Palmer. Or Rex and Brock Berlin. Or Tim Tebow and Cam Newton. Kinda DESTROYS that saying/argument...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What's the old saying? If you have 2 QBs then you have none?? I am guessing they didn't say that when we had Danny W, Terry Dean, and Erik Kresser. Or Rex Grossman and Jesse Palmer. Or Rex and Brock Berlin. Or Tim Tebow and Cam Newton. Kinda DESTROYS that saying/argument...
The real saying should be if you have 1 QB, you are one injury from being a loser.

Of course, it is arguable whether we have 2 QBs (I say we don't) or one-half of a QB three times.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I feel the pain. Trask and Franks seem to be garbage. The problem is, UF fans are so starved they'll settle for Burrow. He may not be garbage. However, Burrow does seem to be fast food. I don't want to eat either.
You don't wanna eat fast food? I'd be happy if i could just sniff a fart of from fast food.

divits

Founding Member
A Muffin of the Studly Variety
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I'd be happy if i could just sniff a fart of from fast food.

If Burrow does come here I hope the first thing Mullen does is take him out for burritos and beer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.