Joe Morgan RIP

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
A couple summers during their hayday, I would go to games with my Grandad. Joe was a heck of a player. RIP

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Sad, sad day for me. I grew up in that part of the country and the REDS were the nearest team to me, but still over a 4 hour drive away. Be that as it may I was between the ages of like 8-13 when the Big Red Machine was in its heyday and spent many a night listening to Marty Brennamen and Joe Nuxhall on a transistor radio call the games if I was able to pick up WLW out of Cincy. It was hit or miss. RIP Joe.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
RIP Joe
I grew up a Cardinals fan in the BRM era and did not like them at all, yet I can probably name more of their players than Cardinals.
Morgan
Rose
Bench
Perez
Griffey
Foster
Concepcion (I still own a glove of his from 1976 I got when I was 12).

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Joe Morgan stated one of my favorite quotes many years ago.

“Only two things kept me from attending Stanford University, money and grades.”

I think we can all relate to this message in some way

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
RIP Joe
I grew up a Cardinals fan in the BRM era and did not like them at all, yet I can probably name more of their players than Cardinals.
Morgan
Rose
Bench
Perez
Griffey
Foster
Concepcion (I still own a glove of his from 1976 I got when I was 12).
Bench C
Driessen/Perez at 1B
Morgan 2B
Concepcion SS
Rose 3B
Foster LF
Geronimo CF
Griffey RF

That starting 8 is probably the most sound every fielded. The weak hitters, like Geronimo and Concepcion, were gold gloves. I think Morgan, Bench, Rose also won GGs. Bench Perez Morgan and Foster provided the long balls. They didn't run much but Geronimo, Concepcion, Morgan and Griffey could steal bases.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Bench C
Driessen/Perez at 1B
Morgan 2B
Concepcion SS
Rose 3B
Foster LF
Geronimo CF
Griffey RF

That starting 8 is probably the most sound every fielded. The weak hitters, like Geronimo and Concepcion, were gold gloves. I think Morgan, Bench, Rose also won GGs. Bench Perez Morgan and Foster provided the long balls. They didn't run much but Geronimo, Concepcion, Morgan and Griffey could steal bases.

When the team was coming together early 70's Rose was the LF. and I remember Driessen play some 3B. I guess Rose went to 3B after Foster was acquired.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
When the team was coming together early 70's Rose was the LF. and I remember Driessen play some 3B. I guess Rose went to 3B after Foster was acquired.
I think it was 74 when Drieesen started at 3B for most of the year. He was a disaster defensively and mediocre at the plate. The next year Rose went to 3B.

Yeah Driessen was the least capable part of the team and for some reason the GM loved him. Traded Perez to make a hole for Sleepy Driessen.

Rose I think played every position but catcher and pitcher at some point. But mostly he came up as a second baseman and played there for several years, went to right field, then the left field, then to third Base, then to first base at the end of his career.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's funny because the Reds remind me of the Gators a lot.

In the '70s, the Reds were one of the reigning champions, it was just a question of whether they finished first or second in the division and whether they made it to the world series or not. They were also one of the most profitable teams in the major leagues, and sold the first or second most amount of merchandise. coast to coast you always saw them in the sports stores. they were truly America's team, because everyone hated the Yankees even then, long before the Braves declared themselves.

Then their front office decided they were not going to get in an arms race with the Yankees. The results were predictable.

Now they're considered small market and one of the least profitable teams, unable to afford a competitive lineup. They haven't won anything for decades.

Their administrators destroyed the franchise completely by being short-sighted, just like the Gators.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Back when Baseball was fun. Morgan and the Reds were my Pirates arch rival but mad respect for him and that team.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I always enjoyed listening to Joe talk about the game on Sunday night baseball with Jon. I didn’t even understand how great a player the man was until my dad told me about all of his accomplishments with the reds . RIP Mr
Morgan. ****ty day for baseball

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Back when Baseball was fun. Morgan and the Reds were my Pirates arch rival but mad respect for him and that team.
Another damn good team:
Sanguillen/Dyer/Ott
Stargell
Stennett
Taveras
Scrap Iron Garner
Zisk/Oliver/Robinson
Omar Moreno (greased lighning)
The Cobra Mighty Dave Parker

I didn't really consider Pirates as arch rival. We hated LA Dodgers. Pirates were a worthy rival for the NLCS. For some reason I also hated Phillies.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Joe Morgan was a student of the game both its history and its mechanics. He was a true professional who played to win and played to have fun.

He started out with the Houston Colt 45s who became the Astros. Went to the Reds in a trade that sent Lee May and Tommy Helms to Houston with other players going to Cincy with Morgan. Reds’ fans didn’t know much about Morgan at the time of the trade but Sparky Anderson knew that Morgan was going to be a key part of what would become the Big Red Machine.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
My two favorite teams for many years was Reds and Red Sox. Rose and Yaz were my favorite players. When they met in the Series I was in heaven.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My two favorite teams for many years was Reds and Red Sox. Rose and Yaz were my favorite players. When they met in the Series I was in heaven.
I really liked Freddie Lynn. Yaz too of course. Evans Lynn and Rice was an elite outfield. Fisk.

Always rooted for Boston over the Yankees.

It was a great time to be a baseball fan. Teams actually had a flavor and the players didn't change uniforms every two to three years.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I really liked Freddie Lynn. Yaz too of course. Evans Lynn and Rice was an elite outfield. Fisk.

Always rooted for Boston over the Yankees.

It was a great time to be a baseball fan. Teams actually had a flavor and the players didn't change uniforms every two to three years.
And that's what ruined baseball for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.