Joe Willie was Original Swag

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
One of the most famous games in Gator history was Florida's 10 - 6 victory over Alabama at Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa 1963. Joe Namath Number 12 was the quarterback for Alabama. Alabama was ranked number 3 in the polls. Florida had just come off a lackluster 35 - 28 win against the Richmond Spiders. According to an article written by Gator historian Norm Carlson, Florida defensive coach Otis Mooney called the Gators the New York Mets of the SEC. This game was also significant because it was Bear Bryant's first loss in Tuscaloosa. Now granted back then Alabama played most of its big games at Legion Field in Birmingham. Denny Stadium was much smaller back then than Legion Field.

The play that broke Alabama's back was Dick Kirk's 42 yard run for a touchdown that gave Florida a 10 - 0 lead. If you go to the 7:15 mark on the video you can watch this dramatic run. The video is blurry but clearer than most of it at the part showing Kirk's run. From what I've read of the game the score could have been higher because the Gators were stalled on two drives inside the ten yard line. Namath scored on a one yard run with just over two minutes left in the game to avoid the shut out. It was a huge upset. Bonfires were set off on University Avenue.

Take that Beaver Falls Joe.

okee joe bringinging it!!!

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
That 1968 Baltimore Colts team was (and remains) my all-time favorite team. Loved that team. Unitas, Earl Morrall, Tom Matte, John Mackey, Bubba Smith, Ordelle Braase, Billy Ray Smith, Mike Curtis, Lenny Lyles, Preston Pearson. Still can’t believe they lost that game.

Yes Namath lives in Tequesta. I believe he stopped drinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.