Joseph’s Ejection

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am not really surprised by that. It often doesn't look the same in replay as it did in real time. The fact is, however, the whistle had clearly blown and the level of "finishing the play" action, no matter how severe in actuality, was unnecessary and avoidable. The running back was definitely lifted up and put down with some authority and anytime that happens there is a risk of a flag and anyone involved has the potential for being the recipient of said flag.

Truth be told, at that juncture of the game I feel pretty certain the level of post whistle activity was mostly due to the defense's frustration with how things had been going up to that point. I also think the penalty, no matter how marginal, wasn't all that out of the ordinary in a heated football game at any level. The only reason we even care enough to have a debate about it at this point is because of the asinine team unsportsmanlike penalty that resulted in Joseph's entirely unfair and bogus ejection when he clearly did everything right in order to avoid being implicated. I am therefore way more impressed by the presence of mind and leadership he displayed in trying to stay out of trouble during the team confrontation than I am disturbed in any way by the penalty that made it necessary.
:exactly:

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
The refs sucked this game, and I wouldn’t be surprised if Vosean’s ejection was improper.
The officiating was horrible all day. It wasn't targeting to begin with. Every time somebody lays somebody out these days they call targeting. A horrible rule dedicated to the pussifying of football. And that calling a foul on the whole team is just idiotic. 2 such fouls would leave nobody to play the game.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I thought it was a result of the 1st interception...refs not blowing the ball dead...he was insuring there was not going to be some fluke...ensure there was no question.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
I thought it was a result of the 1st interception...refs not blowing the ball dead...he was insuring there was not going to be some fluke...ensure there was no question.
Yes the refs not only blew the call on the interception when Vandy was down, but Vandy had guys from the sideline running on to the field while their guy was running toward the end zone. No flags ? That set the tone for the craziness that occurred later. Bad crew that had a bad game.

MADGator

This space intentionally left blank
Jan 28, 2015
As I recall, about 4 other defenders had their hands on the RB along with VJ. He was still fighting for yards and I guess it’s harder to do that when lifted off the ground by multiple defenders.

When I first saw what happened, I yelled at the TV, “what are you thinking??!!” It was the different angle and closer view that made me rethink my reaction.

I fvkking loved it. I mean, it’s Vandy, what are they gonna do? Win?

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Is there a clear replay somewhere of the Joseph "wrestling move"? I also didn't think it looked nearly as bad on replay.

I think the replay I’m remembering was posted in the vandy game thread. I’m just too lazy to go back and find it.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
I fvkking loved it. I mean, it’s Vandy, what are they gonna do? Win?

I’m not a fan of that stuff. We’re not f$u. I want hard hitting before the whistle. I agree with some here that things carried on longer than it should but I still believe the optics were worse than what actually happened.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
The officiating was horrible all day. It wasn't targeting to begin with. Every time somebody lays somebody out these days they call targeting. A horrible rule dedicated to the pussifying of football. And that calling a foul on the whole team is just idiotic. 2 such fouls would leave nobody to play the game.

The officiating was in deed miserable and biased as well. However, whether we like it or not, that was a valid targeting call as the rule is written. Same applies with the muffed punt in the Miss St. game where Dean was just trying to make the recovery and could not possibly do both that and avoid a head to head collision. Just remember these rules, however poorly written, interpreted or executed, are meant to try and protect the brains of 18-22 year olds which is a noble intent even if it is probably somewhat futile. The team foul is just plain ludicrous.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
Btw, I rewatched the game and the uncalled hold on Polite on 3rd and 3 at the 6:15 mark of the 4th quarter was so blatant it actually made me laugh out loud. The lineman didn't even make significant contact until Polite had already run past him so he is literally holding onto him from behind to try and slow him down from the beginning to the end of the play! Utterly ridiculous!

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Ha! So I'm a snowflake now.

I love a nasty defense. I just dislike Grantham.

When Dan Quinn was our D-coordinator our guys played aggressive and nasty and yet they had a good example of what a man and coach is like.
Apparently you missed the Louisville game. Not only did they act like punks while getting their asses handed to em they were arguing with chipper jones about it twitter.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Point taken. I stand corrected. It appears Quinn was a bad example too of a man and mentor.

So I guess nobody liked Dan Quinn as our DC and everybody loves Grantham.

Not me. I'm fine w/how he has our D playing but will be relieved when CDM replaces him.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Point taken. I stand corrected. It appears Quinn was a bad example too of a man and mentor.

So I guess nobody liked Dan Quinn as our DC and everybody loves Grantham.

Not me. I'm fine w/how he has our D playing but will be relieved when CDM replaces him.
I did not say I disliked Quinn. I like them both. I’m just keeping us level.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Found one..

it does kinda look WWE

I don’t think Vosean did anything wrong.

Although the refs barely did anything right this game, you can’t fault them for this call.

It looked bad, but I think Vosean got pulled down.

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
I don’t think Vosean did anything wrong.

Although the refs barely did anything right this game, you can’t fault them for this call.

It looked bad, but I think Vosean got pulled down.

C'mon man! Joseph has both arms around the guy and is helping to lift him up and then he willingly 'helps' him to the ground. The RB reaches back to grab ahold with one arm, since he's holding the ball in the other, and goes along for the ride. There is no way the RB pulled Joseph down on top of him especially since his feet are completely off the ground at that point. Joseph isn't off balance either. Zuniga also gets an assist since he's the one who really lifted the guy up.

Bottom line is that this was a valid call because the whistles were blowing before his feet had even left the ground and, since it was Vandy, they could totally hear it when they did. This will be called 10 out of 10 times and I am sure neither Joseph nor Mullen was arguing about it.

Gatorphan

Founding Member
Clown Sniper
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As I recall, about 4 other defenders had their hands on the RB along with VJ. He was still fighting for yards and I guess it’s harder to do that when lifted off the ground by multiple defenders.

When I first saw what happened, I yelled at the TV, “what are you thinking??!!” It was the different angle and closer view that made me rethink my reaction.
I couldn't agree more. I was in the "WTF Joseph?!?!" camp. Then I thought the exact same thing as you after watching the angle that clearly shows the RB pulling VJ on top of him. I don't blame the refs for the call, I'm sure it was not easy to see from field in real time.

Edit: I also noticed from the clip above that Joseph's feet were completely swept from underneath him. If this was a calculated slam, he would have had to have his own feet on the ground for leverage.

Just watch it again while looking at VJ's feet. He was completely taken out himself.

Last edited:

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
So did you guys watch the video of Joseph getting the same thing prior to him doing this?

GatorTom85

Mar 22, 2016
I couldn't agree more. I was in the "WTF Joseph?!?!" camp. Then I thought the exact same thing as you after watching the angle that clearly shows the RB pulling VJ on top of him. I don't blame the refs for the call, I'm sure it was not easy to see from field in real time.

Edit: I also noticed from the clip above that Joseph's feet were completely swept from underneath him. If this was a calculated slam, he would have had to have his own feet on the ground for leverage.

Just watch it again while looking at VJ's feet. He was completely taken out himself.

As I pointed out above, Joseph and Zuniga were both definitely involved in lifting the guy off the ground after the whistle. However, the weight of the running back does start to put Joseph off balance which causes him to jump back to keep from breaking his ankles. That made him land directly on top of the guy so it definitely looked worse as a result. Still, though, the play was over and the whistles were blowing so lifting the guy off the ground was unnecessary and doing so right in front of a Ref is going to get called every time.

That said, however, it really isn't that big of a deal over the course of a game and Joseph was clearly trying to keep his nose clean after that by not going on the field during the big confrontation which makes his ejection totally bogus and his reaction totally justified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.