Journey and Toto tonight in Jax

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I saw Journey & Loverboy in Lakeland in 1981. Never heard of Loverboy until the show but they rocked live on stage.

I saw Night Ranger open for .38 Special in '84. I worked security for that one, at the mixing board.
When I saw the Escape tour, Greg Kihn Band opened for them. It was the third night of six consecutive nights at Pine Knob (outdoor venue outside of Detroit). When I saw them at Joe Louis Arena in '83, I think it was the last concert that Bryan Adams opened for anyone. I say Loverboy a couple of times, and people can make fun all they want, but it was a great show back then.

I think the 6 consecutive nights was a record in Detroit (maybe anywhere). Prince opened the Purple Rain tour in Detroit and did 7 concerts, but I think had 2 break days. Wife to be saw one of them, Sheila E opened for him.

Detroit was PHENOMENAL for concerts in the 80's. Tons of great bands, and between Cobo Hall, Joe Louis when it opened, the Silverdome, Pine Knob, St Andrews Hall, and even big bars/music venues like Harpo's, plenty of venues. I can't even remember how many concerts I saw from 1980-1985 (8th - 12th Grade).

Last edited:

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
When I saw the Escape tour, Greg Kihn Band opened for them. It was the third night of six consecutive nights at Pine Knob (outdoor venue outside of Detroit). When I saw them at Joe Louis Arena in '83, I think it was the last concert that Bryan Adams opened for anyone. I say Loverboy a couple of times, and people can make fun all they want, but it was a great show back then.

I think the 6 consecutive nights was a record in Detroit (maybe anywhere). Prince opened the Purple Rain tour in Detroit and did 7 concerts, but I think had 2 break days. Wife to be saw one of them, Sheila E opened for him.

Detroit was PHENOMENAL for concerts in the 80's. Tons of great bands, and between Cobo Hall, Joe Louis when it opened, the Silverdome, Pine Knob, St Andrews Hall, and even big bars/music venues like Harpo's, plenty of venues. I can't even remember how many concerts I saw from 1980-1985 (8th - 12th Grade).

Were you there for Wrestlemania at the Silverdome? To this day I think it's still the largest gathering for a US sporting event

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
My co-worker went to see them in Lexington a few weeks ago and said it was a terrific show too.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

my morning partner at Rock 104 was from Detroit and ALWAYS talked about Cobo Hall. Not to mention he was a huge Seger fan.
I think being a Seger fan is required to be a state citizen of Michigan

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
my morning partner at Rock 104 was from Detroit and ALWAYS talked about Cobo Hall. Not to mention he was a huge Seger fan.
I think being a Seger fan is required to be a state citizen of Michigan
Believe it or not, I never saw Seger in Detroit, but I did finally see him at Freedom Hall in Louisville around 1995.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I figured that seeing Seger in Michigan was part of the high school graduation requirements...
You'd think so... that said, "Turn the Page" and especially "We've Got Tonight" were Junior High slow dance specials for sure...

Funny but embarrassing admission: Until I saw the concert in '95, I had NO IDEA that was a saxophone in Turn the Page and other songs! :lol:

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I saw Seger in Jacksonville in '84, The Distance tour. A good friend of my brother Mark Chatfield played guitar, and Don Brewer (Grand Funk) played drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.