JUCO Addition

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
From Gatorycountry (June 2015, though he obviously didn't wait until summer to enroll)

Anywhere else I've read says Pinero has 3 yrs, but here you have him quoted. I'm at a loss for Massey however. Can't find anything on him but am assuming he's played 2 yrs at JUCO and only has 2 left like Thompson.

I read somewhere that Pinero has 4 years left to play. I think he only participated in soccer at the JUCO so don't think it effects his football eligibility.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I read somewhere that Pinero has 4 years left to play. I think he only participated in soccer at the JUCO so don't think it effects his football eligibility.

I read that somewhere as well. But I think that Pinero recently came out and said he has three years left.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm not sure why the kicker is considered a "juco" since he's not really on a JUCO football team, I guess that's the best way to classify him but usually a "juco" actually played on a juco team....but I'm happy to have him. VERY happy to have him!

Exited for Massey to do kick returns as well if he is as good as they say so that Powell no longer has that burden of being tackled at the 10.

Yep...Powell had a couple more of those "inside the 20" yard returns in the bowl game. Will be very happy if he's not returning kickoffs next year.

oxking

Founding Member
Pops
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
Exited for Massey to do kick returns as well if he is as good as they say so that Powell no longer has that burden of being tackled at the 10.
Really. It makes me wonder about the judgment of the people that have him running kick offs.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Never been overly excited about Powell running any of our kicks back.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Well... part of it is the returner and the other part is the blocking, but I do agree that Powell was not great at kick returns. I always feel like he isn't as shifty as I expect for his size. He is definitely not as shift and quick as Brandon James is. We did see that Powell has flat line speed against Ole Miss, but he is missing that shiftiness to make him special.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well... part of it is the returner and the other part is the blocking, but I do agree that Powell was not great at kick returns. I always feel like he isn't as shifty as I expect for his size. He is definitely not as shift and quick as Brandon James is. We did see that Powell has flat line speed against Ole Miss, but he is missing that shiftiness to make him special.
Yeah, but after a full season, you would think it would occur to him that we get the ball on the 25 if he would just take a knee. Where when he tries to run it out of the end zone, he usually gets tackled at the 15. At some point, you would think he would recognize a pattern and adjust accordingly.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Yeah, but after a full season, you would think it would occur to him that we get the ball on the 25 if he would just take a knee. Where when he tries to run it out of the end zone, he usually gets tackled at the 15. At some point, you would think he would recognize a pattern and adjust accordingly.

Negative. Players are rarely that bright and self-aware. More likely he is thinking "Everytime I run it out, I have a chance to be the hero and everyone loves me. If I just down it, coach will replace me with someone else that will run it out. I'll give it my best shot."

The real mental gymnastics should be on the sidelines where the coaching staff says "Ya know, everytime he runs it out he never makes it to the 25. Either we need to switch the player, or we need to develop a better blocking plan."

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.