Just for grins, let's go head coach shopping

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My view is that as long as Spurrier is younger than successful NCAA head coaches, there is no reason UF should not seek him out.

I can remember all the talk that Meyer was a much better choice than Spurrier as Meyer would be coaching at UF long after Spurrier retired for good. How did that work out?
With 2 national championships... twice as many as Spurrier in half the time

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
With 2 national championships... twice as many as Spurrier in half the time

So you you are ok with 3 maybe 4 good season by Spurrier standards in the last 12 seasons. You think that makes hiring Meyer over Spurrier a smart move in 2005.

As for my how did that work out, well were the people who said Meyer would be at UF long after Spurrier was retired at SoCar right or wrong?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Also, two 5 loss seasons in half the time it took Spurrier to have zero.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jeff Brohm will be our next head coach. Not sure if that's good or bad, but that's my prediction.
I dont know if would be good or bad either but I really like his offense.

Maybe he could keep the defensive staff because I have zero interest in his.

He has a tough September and no talent. It seems like he would have been better staying at Western Kentucky and waiting for a premier job.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I dont know if would be good or bad either but I really like his offense.

Maybe he could keep the defensive staff because I have zero interest in his.

He has a tough September and no talent. It will be interesting to see how this goes. i really wonder why he took the Purdue job at all.
you have interest in ours? Clean house, please!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
So you you are ok with 3 maybe 4 good season by Spurrier standards in the last 12 seasons. You think that makes hiring Meyer over Spurrier a smart move in 2005.

As for my how did that work out, well were the people who said Meyer would be at UF long after Spurrier was retired at SoCar right or wrong?

That's just it though. There's no real right or wrong answer. I'm of the opinion that hiring Meyer in 2005 was absolutely the right move because of the heights he took us to in that short span, specifically 2 NCs. I personally don't think we do that under Spurrier. But I also don't see SoS leaving us after 6 seasons, so you're argument is also probably correct. At the end of the day, it comes down to what you value most--the rings or stability? Totally subjective, imo.

I'll also point out that Steve's teams were much more defensive minded in his stint at Usce. Most of his wins, even in his best years, looked nothing like what we witnessed during the 90's here. So you could definitely argue that opposing defenses had caught up to him in some respects. Now, to be clear, still light years beyond what we've endured post-Tebow. But he was different nonetheless. I'm just not sure he would've relived his golden era here.

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Meyer only had one 5-loss season here, not two. Same as Spurrier, though in half the time. And while I still don't like the way Meyer left, and generally pull for him to lose, in his defense, he gave Foley an entire year to make a solid hire. And he blew it. The right guy could've built on Meyer's legacy just as he did on Spurrier's. Instead, we insisted on going the on-the-job-training route AGAIN, and ended up with a clown AGAIN. We can blame Meyer all day, but ultimately the instability falls on Foley's shoulders.

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
he gave Foley an entire year to make a solid hire. And he blew it. The right guy could've built on Meyer's legacy just as he did on Spurrier's. Instead, we insisted on going the on-the-job-training route AGAIN, and ended up with a clown AGAIN. We can blame Meyer all day, but ultimately the instability falls on Foley's shoulders.
Never brought up, and absolutely true. Foley screwed this program infinitely more than meyer ever could have, even if that had been his goal.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It's very difficult to compare Spurrier's time in Columbia to here. Athletes fell in his lap here whereas he had to go out and find them there, and Spurrier wasn't one to do that. I'm not sure Steve hasn't second guessed his decision to leave, although I think he needed to. His frustration over pushing the needle seemed to grow over the final five seasons.

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
I don't understand why Mullen is never mentioned. We had some of the best offenses in UF history when he was OC and it was fun to watch, which was the last time UF's offense was fun to watch. He runs a relatively clean program and has little in-state talent to pull from and MSU, and the state in general, isn't attractive to top level, out-of-state talent. He has worked with Belicek to tweak and improve the Patriot's offense and has recruiting ties in the SEC and Florida. I understand some don't care for the spread offense but I'd rather have an innovative offense and coach that makes the most of its talent as opposed to trying to be Alabama 2.0.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I don't understand why Mullen is never mentioned. We had some of the best offenses in UF history when he was OC and it was fun to watch, which was the last time UF's offense was fun to watch. He runs a relatively clean program and has little in-state talent to pull from and MSU, and the state in general, isn't attractive to top level, out-of-state talent. He has worked with Belicek to tweak and improve the Patriot's offense and has recruiting ties in the SEC and Florida. I understand some don't care for the spread offense but I'd rather have an innovative offense and coach that makes the most of its talent as opposed to trying to be Alabama 2.0.
:rotfl:

:barfaway:

:ban:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's just it though. There's no real right or wrong answer. I'm of the opinion that hiring Meyer in 2005 was absolutely the right move .
SOS wasnt even calling his own offense by then and frankly SOSJr was dreadful at it.

No one worships SOS and Fun and Gun football more than me but SOS the aging CEO type coach wasnt great. Good enough to win a very weak east and beat Bammer once, no small feat at the second school in So Cacalaka, but still he wasnt great. Despite beating Dabo regularly, Dabo recruited harder and better and built a national contender. SOS did not.

I want SOS the young, wildest most aggressive OC. He wasnt that anymore. Would he have been dofferent back at UF, I doubt it. He always said he didnt want to be like 70 year old Bobby Bowden out there embarrassing himself.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I want another shytty coach who cant do anything without Percy
I apolgize for giving a new guy a dislike but you earned it.

I promise to give you a few likes in your next non Mullet posts. Consider it a signing up bonus.

Last edited:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Id rather have mac and muschamp share a headset. Or mac zook and champ wearing a 3 headed sweater on the sidelines than cousin eddie coming back

MTGator

Lifetime Member
Sep 11, 2017
Id rather have mac and muschamp share a headset. Or mac zook and champ wearing a 3 headed sweater on the sidelines than cousin eddie coming back

Just curious, why? I have no problem being wrong or having a misplaced opinion, but I'd like to know why there seems to be so much animosity and lack of respect for Mullen on this board.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Just curious, why? I have no problem being wrong or having a misplaced opinion, but I'd like to know why there seems to be so much animosity and lack of respect for Mullen on this board.
We're just not big fans of the triple option.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
bc he's one of the absolute sh*ttiest coaches in football, can't recruit to save his life, runs a crap offense, loses constantly, is a candyass, and runs down our school at every opportunity available. Fck that guy. Clear enough for you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator