Justin Fields decides to remain a leghumper

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen had no offense at Utah, he was the QB coach. Mike Sanford was the OC and play caller at Utah from 2003-2004. Despite rumors Mullen was the brains behind the offense, that offense was distinctly different from what UF and MSU ran that it is hard to believe that it was Mullen making the decisions. So, he really has never run an offense with a pass-first QB. This would be a first if he tailors anything for Corral.
I never said he was the OC at Utah but he was a part of that offense and it's what was brought here but had several changes. The offense they put in for Leak was vastly different than what they ran for Tebow. It wasn't great in 06 but a far cry from what we've seen around here and our offense in general has been awful since he left. Granted that has a lot to do with Tebow and all the athletes we had back then but we still had a damn talented team in 09 and couldn't produce nearly what we did in 07 and 08. I understand disliking this hire but to act like Mullen was an awful OC here is just trying to fit a narrative.

GMDGator

Founding Member
Slick Willie - RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 15, 2014
Founding Member
He was his quarterback coach. Stop making up **** to feed your stupid narrative.

Leak passed for 3k in 06, Tebow passed for 3200 and 2700 yards in 07 and 08.

Dak passed for 3500 and 3800 yards his junior and senior years.

Doesn’t pass huh? You don’t have to like him but stop lying.
:raysgirl:

Swonkey's Petulance is clouding his judgement

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
If you like dink & dunk offenses you'll LOVE Mullen. Forget seeing a pass in a north/south direction because Mullen thinks the sideline is as good as the endzone. Don't believe me? Go the YouTube and watch ANY MSU game. Dink & dunk for the entire game. You think our pass routes are lousy? You should watch MSU's this year. They make ours look like world beaters. This is some kind of bad joke getting this dude. He will win enough games to hand around for a decade with endless Weed Eater Bowl invites while we will only watch our adversaries throw the ball DOWN FIELD. God I'm doing to sick....

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
After all this huge excitement about who our new coach will be, we get Cousin Eddie at a Nick Saban pricetag. Stricklin is a friggin idiot to pay $7M for guaranteed mediocrity for years to come. Our rivals are laughing their azzes off right now.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
After all this huge excitement about who our new coach will be, we get Cousin Eddie at a Nick Saban pricetag. Stricklin is a friggin idiot to pay $7M for guaranteed mediocrity for years to come. Our rivals are laughing their azzes off right now.
Probably not Tennessee.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
If you whiff on some quality candidates and have no other top notch hires to approach. You SHOULD do one of 2 things:

1) Identify a decent individual on the current staff that can take the reigns, give them a 1 year contract at a small price and then tag them interim while you wait and continue to work on things for next offseason. If they end up doing great, perfect. If not, its not a huge loss, just a season and you actually saved money while really getting your ducks in a row for next hiring season.

2) Identify a coach who doesnt have the stellar wins/loss record but is known as being a top notch recruiter and bring him in on a mid level paying 3 year deal. Let him stack the cupboard. If he ends up doing great, again, great. If not, you havent broken the bank and now you have a stockpile of talent to showcase the next group of hotshot coaches making yourself MUCH more appealing to the big time guys.

What you DO NOT do is hire a middling coach who doesn't do much of anything any better than the guy you fired; not recruiting, not winning, not anything really. And if you do end up making this awful mistake, you don't double down on stupid by giving him a long contract with top 10 coach money guaranteed. Do this and you wont stockpile talent, you wont see a big difference in results on the field, and when it comes time to move on from the failure, you look no better than you did before and you have less money to offer. This option is foley level incompetence.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think he’ll need to look at some JUCO QB’s. Maybe Zaire will petition for a 6th year, but he’ll just get hurt. Not sure if he’ll actually tailor an offense. Running shovel passes, screens and the occasional forward pass is not a passing attack.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
If you whiff on some quality candidates and have no other top notch hires to approach. You SHOULD do one of 2 things:

1) Identify a decent individual on the current staff that can take the reigns, give them a 1 year contract at a small price and then tag them interim while you wait and continue to work on things for next offseason. If they end up doing great, perfect. If not, its not a huge loss, just a season and you actually saved money while really getting your ducks in a row for next hiring season.

2) Identify a coach who doesnt have the stellar wins/loss record but is known as being a top notch recruiter and bring him in on a mid level paying 3 year deal. Let him stack the cupboard. If he ends up doing great, again, great. If not, you havent broken the bank and now you have a stockpile of talent to showcase the next group of hotshot coaches making yourself MUCH more appealing to the big time guys.

What you DO NOT do is hire a middling coach who doesn't do much of anything any better than the guy you fired; not recruiting, not winning, not anything really. And if you do end up making this awful mistake, you don't double down on stupid by giving him a long contract with top 10 coach money guaranteed. Do this and you wont stockpile talent, you wont see a big difference in results on the field, and when it comes time to move on from the failure, you look no better than you did before and you have less money to offer. This option is foley level incompetence.
I can only imagine the angst on these boards if we had retained Shannon or anybody else on this staff as an interim coach for a year. Oh man, it would make this grousing of Mullenz look like a wedding reception.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I can only imagine the angst on these boards if we had retained Shannon or anybody else on this staff as an interim coach for a year. Oh man, it would make this grousing of Mullenz look like a wedding reception.
Did you even read the post? There were 2 choices. You choose based on your current staff. Obviously what we should have done if there were truly no good coaching options left, was go with #2.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Did you even read the post? There were 2 choices. You choose based on your current staff. Obviously what we should have done if there were truly no good coaching options left, was go with #2.
I didn't say #2 was a bad choice, did I? All I said was that #1 was, well.....

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I didn't say #2 was a bad choice, did I? All I said was that #1 was, well.....
That's why you dont choose #1 unless you have some good assistants on staff; it's not difficult. But then again, we're talking about what a competent AD would do so really this is all just a waste of time.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
That's why you dont choose #1 unless you have some good assistants on staff; it's not difficult. But then again, we're talking about what a competent AD would do so really this is all just a waste of time.
Who is the top notch recruiter you had in mind for option 2?

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Who is the top notch recruiter you had in mind for option 2?
The names have been floated, wouldnt want them unless we were truly in a no other good options scenario but strong or taggart would both bring in a lot of talent. And if we're going to ignore the arrogant prick factor of a HC (which this hire makes me tend to think we have) Kiffin could be added to the list. I don't like any of them anymore than anyone else but they would all bring in a lot of talent and could be gotten for far less than a reported 7 mil per year guaranteed.

Look, I get it, you're in "ill support and hope for the best mode" and that's your prerogative but the fact that I'm not doesn't mean I havent thought about things rationally. You can be rational and not support this hire, its possible bro.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Jeebus fvkking Chrzzle. Did you even watch that abortion with Leak running 30 options (he read them all as GIVE)?

Remember the headlines constantly being what's wrong with the Gators offense?

And yet... it won a Natty and was far superior to any offense we've seen in the better part of a decade...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think he’ll need to look at some JUCO QB’s. Maybe Zaire will petition for a 6th year, but he’ll just get hurt. Not sure if he’ll actually tailor an offense. Running shovel passes, screens and the occasional forward pass is not a passing attack.
The thing is with the new "initial counter rule" we can only take 25 kids (new recruits, juco or grad transfers) regardless.

Not to mention that most jucos dont have the prereqs (equivalent of Florida AA not tough but very specific in numbers of hours in specific places and some Florida test, maybe CLAST?) or they wont be eligible to transfer to us. It isnt something they can fix on a whim.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Mullen wasn’t even on my list for coaches I wanted, but damn guys, you just sound like a bunch of sandy vaginas. We get it, you think he’s horrible. Duly noted. Now tuck in those labia and lets see what happens.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mullen wasn’t even on my list for coaches I wanted, but damn guys, you just sound like a bunch of sandy vaginas. We get it, you think he’s horrible. Duly noted. Now tuck in those labia and lets see what happens.
:lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb