Kayak Legend passes away

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
In 2014 I heard of a man paddling a kayak in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. I followed his adventure for a couple of months as he floated from Portugal to my familiar kayak waters of Mosquito Lagoon, paddling in through Port Canaveral and up the intracoastal to New Smyrna Beach. It is a fascinating story of risk and survival. Only a couple years later he was at it again with a new kayak, paddling from New York City to France. His latest excursion was scaling Mt Kilimanjaro. He made it to the summit, then died. He was 74.

https://explorersweb.com/2021/02/23/legendary-kayaker-aleksander-doba-dies-on-kilimanjaro-summit/

"The second crossing started well, but after a few months, his satellite phone stopped working. He pressed the Help button on his SPOT device, and a huge Greek ship showed up. The ship tried to rescue him three times but Doba just wanted his phone fixed and refused the ropes that were repeatedly thrown to him. Eventually, they gave up. Forty-seven days later, his phone started working again. Someone had simply forgotten to pay the phone bill."

Screen-Shot-2016-05-02-at-3.22.39-PM-e1614107717760.jpg

R.I.P. Olek

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
In 2014 I heard of a man paddling a kayak in the middle of the Atlantic ocean. I followed his adventure for a couple of months as he floated from Portugal to my familiar kayak waters of Mosquito Lagoon, paddling in through Port Canaveral and up the intracoastal to New Smyrna Beach. It is a fascinating story of risk and survival. Only a couple years later he was at it again with a new kayak, paddling from New York City to France. His latest excursion was scaling Mt Kilimanjaro. He made it to the summit, then died. He was 74.

https://explorersweb.com/2021/02/23/legendary-kayaker-aleksander-doba-dies-on-kilimanjaro-summit/

"The second crossing started well, but after a few months, his satellite phone stopped working. He pressed the Help button on his SPOT device, and a huge Greek ship showed up. The ship tried to rescue him three times but Doba just wanted his phone fixed and refused the ropes that were repeatedly thrown to him. Eventually, they gave up. Forty-seven days later, his phone started working again. Someone had simply forgotten to pay the phone bill."

Screen-Shot-2016-05-02-at-3.22.39-PM-e1614107717760.jpg

R.I.P. Olek
I'd say that dude would have picked "73" in the "what age..." thread! ;)

Awesome story, awesome life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator