Kelly insists he didn't duck SEC fishbowl

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
A few highlights from the Dennis Dodd interview, the first lengthy one Kelly has granted since being hired at UCLA.

* He denies the SEC fishbowl was behind his decision. "Being comfortable isn't a lot of fun to be honest with you."

* UCLA had a 27% attendance drop from 2015-2017, which factored heavily in the decision to go after Kelly.

* Between Mora's buyout and Kelly's contract, the Bruins owe $36m. That's BEFORE the assistants' pool.

* "The fact that we (fired Jim Mora) when we did was, in part, to get a shot," UCLA AD Dan Guerrero said. "There were no guarantees. Had we waited another week, he might have been scooped up."

* Kelly on the transition: "You can run really cool plays, but if you don't have the right personnel to run those plays, you won't be very successful."

LINK

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Fvkk him. Sideways bullshyt offense anyway.

Has he ever managed to score 20 vs an SEC team?

CaseyGator

Ox’s Favorite Poster
Sep 13, 2016
If being comfortable isn’t fun, why’d he go to UCLA then? Because that’s a hell of a lot more comfortable than the SEC...

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Things are going to get extremely uncomfortable if he doesn’t pick up his recruiting. At this point, Kelly isn’t just bad, he’s a complete and utter disaster.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Things are going to get extremely uncomfortable if he doesn’t pick up his recruiting. At this point, Kelly isn’t just bad, he’s a complete and utter disaster.
UCLA isn't even ranked for 2019. I went over 247 and Rivals thinking it must be a mistake. Nowhere.

WTF. I realize he's been out of college coaching, but he's Chip Frigging Kelly. Why aren't they calling him begging to play?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The sad thing is UCLA is in many ways a lot like us. It has been awhile but USC v UCLA used to be a huge game with national title consequences most years.

They too decided not get in an arms race w USC and others to "focus on academics" (as if the two are exclusive).

Once you fall behind, you may never catch up, and its very expensive to do so.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The sad thing is UCLA is in many ways a lot like us. It has been awhile but USC v UCLA used to be a huge game with national title consequences most years.

They too gave up and decided not get in an arms race w USC and others.

Except they got $280m in the Under Armour deal. They can buy their way back.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
It is so different now than 20-30 years ago. Unless you're Texas A&M with every multi-millionaire booster clamoring for a tax deduction, or in this case UCLA getting the deal of the century with a product sponsor, you run a real risk of falling so far behind that not even tradition can defend it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think it was less about dodging a conference, and more about wanting to "lease" a situation for a few years until the right gig comes around. If this were 2005-2010 UF, I think it would've been more appealing. But between the conference competition, the state of Florida competition, and the current rebuild mode we're in, it simply didn't fit his agenda.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he took an extremely buyout friendly contract at a school that happens to be in a city with 2 NFL teams.

As much as I liked the idea at the time, he would've been a disaster here. He knew that and saved both parties' face, imo.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think it was less about dodging a conference, and more about wanting to "lease" a situation for a few years until the right gig comes around. If this were 2005-2010 UF, I think it would've been more appealing. But between the conference competition, the state of Florida competition, and the current rebuild mode we're in, it simply didn't fit his agenda.

I don't think it's a coincidence that he took an extremely buyout friendly contract at a school that happens to be in a city with 2 NFL teams.

As much as I liked the idea at the time, he would've been a disaster here. He knew that and saved both parties' face, imo.
What you write is true. And he'll never admit to it.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I just don't know how being a mediocre coach at a mediocre pac-10 team is going to help his NFL resume.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He's SOSed his way back to the college game. Barring obscene money being thrown his way, there will be no NFL future.

And as sofla just pointed out, UCLA may be just a west coast train stop.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014

They too decided not get in an arms race w USC and others to "focus on academics" (as if the two are exclusive).

The good news for us is we’re only just concluding our 1st “lost decade” (and staring at a 2nd lost decade if things don’t change in a hurry) whereas UCLA is 50 years removed from relevance. Aren’t we fortunate!

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I just don't know how being a mediocre coach at a mediocre pac-10 team is going to help his NFL resume.

He's SOSed his way back to the college game. Barring obscene money being thrown his way, there will be no NFL future.

And as sofla just pointed out, UCLA may be just a west coast train stop.

I think he had just enough success in the NFL that he(and the NFL) will always have that idea hanging out there. The retread thinking of the league is as undeniable as it is inexplicable. Whether or not he actually lands another pro job, he's probably in the right spot if that's his end game.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I think he had just enough success in the NFL that he(and the NFL) will always have that idea hanging out there. The retread thinking of the league is as undeniable as it is inexplicable. Whether or not he actually lands another pro job, he's probably in the right spot if that's his end game.
Do you really think the Rams or Chargers will pay greater attention because he's coaching at the Rose Bowl?

I figure if they want him, they want him irrespective of the distance.

You are correct about the retread trend, but my guess is he's done with the NFL.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Do you really think the Rams or Chargers will pay greater attention because he's coaching at the Rose Bowl?

I figure if they want him, they want him irrespective of the distance.

You are correct about the retread trend, but my guess is he's done with the NFL.

No, of course. I just think at least one of them will be open at some point in the near future, and he's already in position to strike by being in LA. Just a hunch. You could be right about his future NFL prospects. But his contract makes it obvious that he wants easy access to look at options. And to the point about his recruiting, I have to think any and all P12 coaches are using that on the trail, which may his current struggles.

Ftr, I also have the same theory on Kiffin. I think he stays at Fau as the big man on campus, and holds out for the Dolphins either at the end of this coming season, or two years later when they fire the next guy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb