Kelly insists he didn't duck SEC fishbowl

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It is so different now than 20-30 years ago. Unless you're Texas A&M with every multi-millionaire booster clamoring for a tax deduction, or in this case UCLA getting the deal of the century with a product sponsor, you run a real risk of falling so far behind that not even tradition can defend it.

I know I read it somewhere – but I think starting this year that those big contributions to schools are no longer tax-deductible.

I think you’re going to actually start seeing salaries drop because donations are going to take a serious drop.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The sad thing is UCLA is in many ways a lot like us. It has been awhile but USC v UCLA used to be a huge game with national title consequences most years.

They too decided not get in an arms race w USC and others to "focus on academics" (as if the two are exclusive).

Once you fall behind, you may never catch up, and its very expensive to do so.
Don't want UF to quit focusing on academics, but the two aren't mutually exclusive.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know I read it somewhere – but I think starting this year that those big contributions to schools are no longer tax-deductible.

I think you’re going to actually start seeing salaries drop because donations are going to take a serious drop.
Yuge. Pretty soon they'll all exist as individual LLCs and the private equity firms will be buying them up.

Or better still they could each have an IPO and trade on the NYSE. Bama shares would be in AMZN territory at ~ 1,600 per share. Saban would buy the Atlanta Journal-Constitution to control the sports content.

We'd have to negotiate with Old National Bancorp for the ticker symbol ONB. That stock trades at 17.70. Everyone would start shorting it. :-(

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
UCLA isn't even ranked for 2019. I went over 247 and Rivals thinking it must be a mistake. Nowhere.

WTF. I realize he's been out of college coaching, but he's Chip Frigging Kelly. Why aren't they calling him begging to play?

That's what I was talking about. Since he arrived, all of their 2019 commits have decommitted after meeting with him and his staff. 3 of them were quality recruits he wouldn't have purposely run off. I've tried keeping up with the story, but UCLA fans don't give a shyte. Their boards are talking about every other sport but football. It seems they don't care.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's what I was talking about. Since he arrived, all of their 2019 commits have decommitted after meeting with him and his staff. 3 of them were quality recruits he wouldn't have purposely run off. I've tried keeping up with the story, but UCLA fans don't give a shyte. Their boards are talking about every other sport but football. It seems they don't care.
No one in Cali gives a shyt about any sort of football.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Donations are no longer a significant source of income. It is all tv money and product endorsement money.

That's also why no one cares what the Bull Gators want anymore in a football team or course.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Donations are no longer a significant source of income. It is all tv money and product endorsement money.

That's also why no one cares what the Bull Gators want anymore in a football team or course.
Not accurate. I'll go find the link. A&M got something like 75m last season.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Florida had 58.1m in contributions in 2015, accounting for 39% of all revenue.

Still searching for more updated stats.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
No one in Cali gives a shyt about any sort of football.

They apparently don't. I'm not kidding when I say I've found more stories about their softball team than I have their football. If UF had zero commits right now, gator nation would be calling for Mullen's head.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
Ftr, I also have the same theory on Kiffin. I think he stays at Fau as the big man on campus, and holds out for the Dolphins either at the end of this coming season, or two years later when they fire the next guy.

While Kiffin may be holding out for the Dolphins, I don’t see the feeling with the Fins or any other NFL team being mutual. I’d say the odds of Kiffin landing as a HC in the NFL any time in the next 10 years as being 1 in a billion. 1) I don’t see him being an NFL type coach and 2) I think he’d have to jump from FAU to a major college program and demonstrate serious and sustained success before an NFL team would even consider him for an open HC gig and that by itself would take at least a decade.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
They apparently don't. I'm not kidding when I say I've found more stories about their softball team than I have their football. If UF had zero commits right now, gator nation would be calling for Mullen's head.

Ya think? Many are ready to call for his head right now even before he fields a team. He needs to be punished for his past record you know.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Kelly was too SCARED and too lazy to come here.

Nahhh, he just kept answering his back door when UF was ringing the front doorbell.
....or maybe UCLA being in a sanctuary city? I bet Kelly's lost his mo-jo.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
A lot of people wanted Kelly at UF even before we had an opening. But when we finally got free of JACKA$$BUTTERS I was adamant that there were 2 people who I did NOT want to see as our HC. #1 was Kelly. Sadly #2 was Cousin Eddie!!!!!

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I'm not gonna lie. I wanted Kelly in spite of all the perceived drawbacks. If he quit UCLA tomorrow and announced his love for UF, I'd want him again. His offenses got more vertical out of horizontal than any I can think of.

In retrospect, though, it was a bad year to be a risk-averse buyer. It was Kelly, Frost and then the field. Where we apparently have much disagreement over is which member of the field we should have offered.

I think Stricklin made a good call.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Duck?
giphy.gif

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
I'm not gonna lie. I wanted Kelly in spite of all the perceived drawbacks. If he quit UCLA tomorrow and announced his love for UF, I'd want him again. His offenses got more vertical out of horizontal than any I can think of.

In retrospect, though, it was a bad year to be a risk-averse buyer. It was Kelly, Frost and then the field. Where we apparently have much disagreement over is which member of the field we should have offered.

I think Stricklin made a good call.

Frost was the guy IMO. I’m not sure there was anything we could have done, though. The allure of returning home AND to his alma mater was probably too much to overcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.