Kelly insists he didn't duck SEC fishbowl

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
Chip would've been an "exciting" hire for sure, and I think that's why so many of us were disappointed that we didn't get him.
But I don't think that he was a good fit. The upside to Chip Kelly is perhaps he could bring some excitement to our offence and recruiting which we desperately need. But I don't see his personality and the way he conducts his strategy as a recipe for success in the SEC.
Of course, that was a concern when we hired Meyer, but Meyer had a champion's drive and personality, plus Meyer had Chris Leak, Tebow, and Percy--Meyer walked into a muxh more favorable situation.
Yes, Meyer recruited Tebow and Percy, but he also had a UF brand to sell that is now virtually diminished (I'm being generous here).
Mullen is walking into a completely different situation, so the comparison from Meyer 2005 to Mullen 2018 is irrelevant.
Our only hope is that Mullen can bring something respectable back to the program and work miracles recruiting; Maybe Mullen brings us the hardware or maybe not, but he'd better figure out how to bring the players.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Too many undercurrents on Meyer leaving - his health, Saban, his indiscretions, his wife's same - the list goes on.

At least we have a guy who's been here, has been successful here in his position, therefore knows the landscape here, and has been more successful at his SEC school as HC than most suspected when he took the job.

It may take another year to clean up the slop that Clarabelle left but what's not to like overall?

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Yes, Meyer recruited Tebow and Percy, but he also had a UF brand to sell that is now virtually diminished (I'm being generous here).

Great point. Too often people talk about Zook’s recruits and stop there. If anything, Zook revitalized UF recruiting that has sagged toward the end of SOS’s run. So not only did Meyer inherit solid (if undeveloped and undisciplined) players, the brand was strong despite a few mediocre W/L years. And no one despised Zook. He was just I over his head. They despised the results.

Muschamp recruited well but soured a lot of relationships too. Mac damaged the brand. Mullen has a bigger job to do on every level and in every aspect.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I don't buy the theory that Saban drove Meyer out. Meyer loves to compete.

I think Meyer drove Meyer out through his mishandling of player disciplinary issues. He needed a game reset.

Agree

He needed and took a sabbatical. And he changed. I know football never does sabbaticals but wondered at the time if that might have helped. Even 4-6 months, after NSD and to the start of fall practice. Step back, refresh, visit other successful coaches and pick their brains, etc. Then come back ready to kick a$$.

Ok. So that could never happen. But would we have been better off? Could we have withstood an 8-5 year or two? Just a thought...

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Agree

He needed and took a sabbatical. And he changed. I know football never does sabbaticals but wondered at the time if that might have helped. Even 4-6 months, after NSD and to the start of fall practice. Step back, refresh, visit other successful coaches and pick their brains, etc. Then come back ready to kick a$$.

Ok. So that could never happen. But would we have been better off? Could we have withstood an 8-5 year or two? Just a thought...
At the time, probably not. We felt he owed us more. In retrospect, hell yes.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
While Kiffin may be holding out for the Dolphins, I don’t see the feeling with the Fins or any other NFL team being mutual. I’d say the odds of Kiffin landing as a HC in the NFL any time in the next 10 years as being 1 in a billion. 1) I don’t see him being an NFL type coach and 2) I think he’d have to jump from FAU to a major college program and demonstrate serious and sustained success before an NFL team would even consider him for an open HC gig and that by itself would take at least a decade.

As I said, just a wild theory I've had. And I couldn't agree more with point 1 regarding his abilities.

That said, have you see the list of post-Shula hires? It's a unique combination of cringe-worthy retreads and "who the hell is that?" types. If Erik Estrada was hired tomorrow, I don't think a single fan would be overly shocked.

NotQyteNeo

May 15, 2018
(FYI - New to GC but, like most of you, I've been debating on college sports MBs since the late '90s)

1. Meyer is a fierce competitor who made it work in the SEC. But he was a northern-area, Big-Ten guy from day one. He was already plotting his exit in '09 when he knew he was losing Tebow. Anyone who thinks it's a coincidence that Meyer quit at Florida just before the OSU scandal broke .... well .... I have some nice bridges to sell you.
2. Deny it all you want, but Mullen elevated MSU football almost to the same magnitude SOS did for UF. Mullen had to compete with the likes of Saban and Miles(yes, Miles was a very good SEC coach who won a Natty). When SOS came into the league, SEC coaching was a joke.
3. If you think long-term, big picture, Mullen is the best option UF had aside from Charlie Strong. Neither Kelly or Frost would have stayed at UF very long, even if they had been successful.(side note: many are forgetting that Frost is Kelly's protege. He basically took Kelly's very successful system and amped it up a couple levels). Mullen, on the other hand, if he's successful, he's not going anywhere. And the benefits of consistency and stability cannot be over-stated. The top-3 programs right now - Bama, Clemson, and OSU - all 3 have stability.

I think we did very good bringing in Mullen. But yes, he could end up being our Richt. But I'll take that over the Chumps and CrapElwains we've had any day. Taggart will out-recruit Mullen - at least he better. Mullen made a name for his ability to do more with less. Plus, while Taggart is a top-level recruiter, he has so far been - at best - mediocre as a coach. So I like Mullen's chances in the H2H there. And that will swing recruiting somewhat in our favor. (Plus, if being objective, you have to give Richt some credit for Smart's early success).

It seems obvious to me that we're already seeing how Mullen's staff is light-years ahead of CrapElwains, even at this early point. Plus, UF has a VERY favorable schedule this year. We quite possibly could be undefeated going into the UGa game. If we win that one, the sky is the limit. I expect that Mullen will have UF football in the BCS+2 argument in no time.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
(FYI - New to GC but, like most of you, I've been debating on college sports MBs since the late '90s).
Welcome. Bring your friends and post often. Wear your big boy pants and sarcasm is appreciated.

What boards have you been on?

Ive seen Neo somewhere.

NotQyteNeo

May 15, 2018
Welcome. Bring your friends and post often. Wear your big boy pants and sarcasm is appreciated.

What boards have you been on?

Ive seen Neo somewhere.
TY for the welcome.

Back in the day, the popular board was ESPN. I have been on the ghost-town that Gatorsports is now for years. I recently joined on Rivals. And yes, my user name is the same on both and on other non-sports MBs..

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
(FYI - New to GC but, like most of you, I've been debating on college sports MBs since the late '90s)

1. Meyer is a fierce competitor who made it work in the SEC. But he was a northern-area, Big-Ten guy from day one. He was already plotting his exit in '09 when he knew he was losing Tebow. Anyone who thinks it's a coincidence that Meyer quit at Florida just before the OSU scandal broke .... well .... I have some nice bridges to sell you.
2. Deny it all you want, but Mullen elevated MSU football almost to the same magnitude SOS did for UF. Mullen had to compete with the likes of Saban and Miles(yes, Miles was a very good SEC coach who won a Natty). When SOS came into the league, SEC coaching was a joke.
3. If you think long-term, big picture, Mullen is the best option UF had aside from Charlie Strong. Neither Kelly or Frost would have stayed at UF very long, even if they had been successful.(side note: many are forgetting that Frost is Kelly's protege. He basically took Kelly's very successful system and amped it up a couple levels). Mullen, on the other hand, if he's successful, he's not going anywhere. And the benefits of consistency and stability cannot be over-stated. The top-3 programs right now - Bama, Clemson, and OSU - all 3 have stability.

I think we did very good bringing in Mullen. But yes, he could end up being our Richt. But I'll take that over the Chumps and CrapElwains we've had any day. Taggart will out-recruit Mullen - at least he better. Mullen made a name for his ability to do less with more. Plus, while Taggart is a top-level recruiter, he has so far been - at best - mediocre as a coach. So I like Mullen's chances in the H2H there. And that will swing recruiting somewhat in our favor. (Plus, if being objective, you have to give Richt some credit for Smart's early success).

It seems obvious to me that we're already seeing how Mullen's staff is light-years ahead of CrapElwains, even at this early point. Plus, UF has a VERY favorable schedule this year. We quite possibly could be undefeated going into the UGa game. If we win that one, the sky is the limit. I expect that Mullen will have UF football in the BCS+2 argument in no time.
Welcome to Gatorchatter...pull up a chair and grab a beer. It's fun.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
TY for the welcome.

Back in the day, the popular board was ESPN. I have been on the ghost-town that Gatorsports is now for years. I recently joined on Rivals. And yes, my user name is the same on both and on other non-sports MBs..
Uh, were you on Gatorsports when they shut it down in June of 2014? That's when it spun off into this board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.