Kelly the thief: UCLA gets ONE player in top 400

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Chip Kelly ... I really, really wanted him.

Sometimes it's better to want, than to get.

Last edited:

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
The 49th ranked class. You think we have recruiting issues? 'Ol Chip evidently thinks he can get great players to flock to UCLA using willpower alone. God forbid they actually reach out and try to get people. He's been an unmitigated disaster, and it's obvious he has no interest in being a college football coach. He's stealing their money.

Chip Kelly’s UCLA appears to have 2 big recruiting problems

Discuss.
Given any thought to what happens with the dumper/pumper argument if Kelly wins with this crap?

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I think Kelly knew he didn't have the energy to coach at Florida or in the SEC. In the SEC you've got to bring it. You've got to recruit. You've got to build facilities. You've got to earn the respect of your fan base. You've got to win. You have to do that in the PAC-12 too to an extent, but it's not at the same level. You can't be a fat lazy coach. You can be fat, but you've got to bring the energy of a Phil Fulmer or a Mark Stoops. Otherwise forget it brother. In the SEC every coach and program is rated against the standard of Nick Saban and Alabama. Chip Kelly are you ready?

Maybe not true in Florida except in Panhandle, but if you move to a small town in an SEC state the first thing your new neighbors ask you is where do you go to church? The next question is what SEC football team you root for. They're sizing you up. And from those two questions you see what the priorities are. The first question goes to where are you going to spend eternity. The second question goes to where are you going to spend the bowl season --- in New Orleans or in some place like Shreveport. And when you show up for church on Sunday you're going to catch hell if your team didn't win on Saturday.

Chip Kelly is not an SEC guy.

Last edited:

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Given any thought to what happens with the dumper/pumper argument if Kelly wins with this crap?
It really has no relevence. "Winning" in the PAC isnt the same as winning in the SEC regardless.

We would have no chance of winning September w a team of 49th ranked talent.

And we have no chance winning October w teen ranked talent.

Ancient Reptile

Mar 4, 2015
It really has no relevence. "Winning" in the PAC isnt the same as winning in the SEC regardless.

We would have no chance of winning September w a team of 49th ranked talent.

And we have no chance winning October w teen ranked talent.
Nice try. Won't wash. I''ll laugh my behind off if that should happen.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Nice try. Won't wash. I''ll laugh my behind off if that should happen.
You can claim victory today by citing Central winning the CUSA 2.0 with 2 star players if you want, I guess.

No one will care regardless.

Last edited:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I was an Eagles fan and I thought Kelly was extremely limited in his offensive approach, dumb about personnel decisions - including some stupid trades - and created divisiveness and low morale in the locker room through his inability to communicate with nearly anyone who he went to work with, most notably his players. I never could figure out why people liked him so much. He had more money than God at Oregon, ridiculous amounts poured into facilities, kitchy uniforms with gold paint, weight rooms, etc.. He made whatever they do in Dubai look like McDonalds. And he was shady.

This was my position. I liked the idea of the buzz he would've created, but had serious reservations, largely because a his time in Philly. Very little of his decisions made any sense, and he almost seemed insistent on proving himself this "mad genius" as opposed to just winning games. His one speed offense also was really frustrating, as we spent a ton of time with the defense being gassed and on several occasions mismanaged end of hallf/game situations because he couldn't adjust.

Not sure what he'll do at Ucla. But I assumed the Trojans would demand more from Helton and keep him and the Bruins in their little brother place. That obviously isn't happening. Between recruiting and coaching, I'm not sure Edwards and AzSt aren't the P12 team to beat in the coming years.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
UCLA isn't a job as much as it's a hobby.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Glad we did not hire this asshat. Not engaged and draining their funds.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I think Kelly knew he didn't have the energy to coach at Florida or in the SEC. In the SEC you've got to bring it. You've got to recruit. You've got to build facilities. You've got to earn the respect of your fan base. You've got to win. You have to do that in the PAC-12 too to an extent, but it's not at the same level. You can't be a fat lazy coach. You can be fat, but you've got to bring the energy of a Phil Fulmer or a Bob Stoops. Otherwise forget it brother. In the SEC every coach and program is rated against the standard of Nick Saban and Alabama. Chip Kelly are you ready?

Maybe not true in Florida except in Panhandle, but if you move to a small town in an SEC state the first thing your new neighbors ask you is where do you go to church? The next question is what SEC football team you root for. They're sizing you up. And from those two questions you see what the priorities are. The first question goes to where are you going to spend eternity. The second question goes to where are you going to spend the bowl season --- in New Orleans or in some place like Shreveport. And when you show up for church on Sunday you're going to catch hell if your team didn't win on Saturday.

Chip Kelly is not an SEC guy.
that is one damn fine post Joe. Bravo.

:clap:

PaterLacerta

Who’s Your Daddy?
Jan 19, 2016
Personally didn't understand the buzz around him. He hadn't been in college football for a decade and had earned a reputation as an oddball during his less-than-stellar NFL tenure. I suspect he didn't land here because the University wasn't going to grant him dictatorial control over the program and its just as well.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
UCLA isn't a job as much as it's a hobby.
I look at UCLA and I see us in the future. An admin that just doesn't really care about football. USC vs UCLA used to be one of those games that was broadcasted nationwide on ABC. It used to be a thing, like UF vs Clowntown used to be.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Hated the idea of him even being talked about as HC here. I know people thought he could stir the fanbase and have a fun offense, but I said from the outset he was #1 on my do NOT want list. I think he is a horrible total coach and got exposed when put on a level playing field in the NFL.

Just curious who did you want since you clearly are not a "cousin eddie" fan?

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
When you have 'talent' like this on your campus, you should never finish outside the Top 20 in recruiting....

c889275a1f46df24801062fb620efd3d.jpg

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
He was my clear #1 mainly because it would have generated a lot of buzz and would have signaled we were committed to doing whatever it takes to get back to the top. He was the top guy on the board. I have no idea if he would have been any more engaged here than he is at UCLA, but I'd have rather swung for the fences with Kelly than drop down the bunt like we did with Mullen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.