Kelvin Taylor hints at possible transfer on Twitter

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Taylor can play at that level, just look at the SC game last year.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n77717 said:
Taylor can play at that level, just look at the SC game last year.

And that was despite everyone knowing he was going to carry the ball, direct snap,.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n77460 said:
Are you serious ??? Kelvin Taylor is a feature back that needs to be getting 18-20 carries a game. He is the type of back who gets better and better as the game goes on and probably is on the level of Mike Davis or Gurley if used properly.... It seems our idiot coaching staff are the only ones who don't realize this.
You can't give a guy like him 2 or 3 carries in the 1st half and base his potential off that. All great RB's get better and better as the game goes on.

There is no basis for this kind of statement. Taylor has not shown over a significant stretch that he is even the best back on the team, much less comparable to Gurley. This is the kind of extreme opinion that sets some fans up for disappointment. All through the preseason (I prefer Spurrier's Talking Season) I heard things like..."Our RBs are second to none in the conference." In reality, those statements were based more in being a fan that reality. Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Arkansas - off the top of my head - had at least as promising a group of backs as we had.

I want Taylor to show he's a feature back. I'd love for anyone to become a dominant player at his position ...especially on offense. VHIII and Fowler are that on D. I don't think there's anyone like that on offense. D-Rob shows promise, but he's just as likely to drop a pass as he is to catch one. His TD catch last night looked like a pretty poorly run route - that actually allowed the DB to be in great position instead of creating space. Debose is close to being that as a return man but, IMO, doesn't show enough reliability catching the ball. He's always on the cusp of muffing a punt. Returning to the point of my little rant, Taylor has not shown that he is a feature back. He hasn't (as far as I can see) done anything to justify dog-housing him, but people need to see the reality of the situation and not just what they wish was true.

In fact, Brandon Powell has looked as explosive and hungry as anybody on the team. I'm glad he got a bunch of reps.

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Really hard to blame Taylor. He had two runs, both poorly blocked. Here are all of his plays (runs in bold):

1. Off tackle for a yard (no hole).
2. Lead blocker, JD makes 1st down.
3. Safety valve in the flat, thrown elsewhere.
4. Safety valve in the flat, thrown elsewhere.
5. Safety valve going left, saw pressure coming from the right, went for the block and bumped JD as he threw.
6. Pass blocking, kept his man away from JD.
7. Fake handoff, moved to seal the back side of JD's run.
8. Went into motion wide, faking screen, JD run.
9. Handoff, left tackle ignored DE, pulling guard didn't make it in time - hit in the backfield.
10. Fake handoff, JD run.
11. Screen pass, Driskell zipped it in front of him, well out of reach.
12. Safety valve, thrown to WR.
13. Lead blocker, good block on LB, JD makes 1st down.

GatorInGeorgia

Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2014
williston_gator;n77488 said:
Safe to say if we get a new coach there will still be a bunch of transfers. Part of the problem is being a spread team spending years to switch to a pro style and then switching back to spread starting over.

Yep and as I noted before, that would cause some issues...and like I said before, we can put that one squarely on the shoulders of...Muschamp, who constantly proves what many have known for years-the guy doesn't know what he is doing.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
There are always transfers with a new coach, but if Foley actually brought in a legit HC and not some career assistant, the attrition would be minimal.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Circle City Gator;n77734 said:
Really hard to blame Taylor. He had two runs, both poorly blocked. Here are all of his plays (runs in bold):

5. Safety valve going left, saw pressure coming from the right, went for the block and bumped JD as he threw.
9. Handoff, left tackle ignored DE, pulling guard didn't make it in time - hit in the backfield.

Thank you for finding actual facts. For the record, I don't "blame" Taylor. I also don't think he's shown he's as good as many here say he is. I would have had no issue with him getting more carries and while his production has been lower than MJ's, the sample size has dwindled each game and isn't reliably large enough. If you get two carries and the line doesn't give you a chance, it's not your fault.

However, to say that great backs need a bunch of carries to get going (as some have suggested) is crazy talk. Great backs produce from the start and get stronger with more carries. They don't produce below average YPC and then climb to much higher YPC with 10+ carries.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n77738 said:
Thank you for finding actual facts. For the record, I don't "blame" Taylor. I also don't think he's shown he's as good as many here say he is. I would have had no issue with him getting more carries and while his production has been lower than MJ's, the sample size has dwindled each game and isn't reliably large enough. If you get two carries and the line doesn't give you a chance, it's not your fault.

However, to say that great backs need a bunch of carries to get going (as some have suggested) is crazy talk. Great backs produce from the start and get stronger with more carries. They don't produce below average YPC and then climb to much higher YPC with 10+ carries.

This. You have been much better at articulating this than I.

G 2

Founding Member
Gator Great
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Circle City Gator;n77734 said:

The other RB's have to deal with the same crappy blocking. Heck, last night Driskel dealt with the same exact thing as Taylor when the pulling guard didn't make it there and he still managed to get a first down. I don't think Taylor sucks but he isn't this dominant force that some thinks he is. He would be playing if that was the case. Even a freshman Harris has seen the field over an entrenched senior QB.

Muschamp LOVES running the ball. If Taylor did it better than anyone then he would be our starter. Heck, Muschamp might even make him the QB.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Taylor got 2 carries last night he should be pissed

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
EuroGator;n77738 said:

Not true at all. All great backs get better with more carries. Plain and simple it is what makes "true" great backs what they are.....it's a feel or groove thing much like a good shooter in basketball. Coaches never told players like MJ or Jerry West to stop shooting the ball, and good football coaches never stop feeding great backs the football, which is further proof we don't have a good football coach.........we have an idiot who for some reason favors less talented players over truly talented players.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
G 2;n77811 said:
Muschamp LOVES running the ball. If Taylor did it better than anyone then he would be our starter. Heck, Muschamp might even make him the QB.
Muschamp is an idiot that NEVER seems to do the right thing......Do you watch the games ???

Circle City Gator

Founding Member
BANNED
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n77811 said:
The other RB's have to deal with the same crappy blocking. Heck, last night Driskel dealt with the same exact thing as Taylor when the pulling guard didn't make it there and he still managed to get a first down. I don't think Taylor sucks but he isn't this dominant force that some thinks he is. He would be playing if that was the case. Even a freshman Harris has seen the field over an entrenched senior QB.

No, not really. I watched all Driskel's runs, too. In those, the running back acted as fullback (including a couple of times by Taylor), giving Driskel a lead blocker, something most of our running backs don't get. I don't think Taylor is dominant in the offense we're running right now, but I think he can be a dominant back. Of course, that might call for a quarterback who can throw the ball, make play action a real threat, and perhaps even once in a while get a lead block of his own.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Would hate to see him go, but wouldn't blame him either.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
cornbread;n77914 said:
is concrete kelvin?

Could be, we know he isn't Matt Jones or his name would be concrete shoes according to some.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
There are two indisputable facts....

1) KT is much better than he is playing
2) KT isn't playing very well

There is no doubt that KT is a tremendous talent, but he is not a complete back....yet. He possesses vision that is as good as anyone in the country. He's not the power back that Jones is, but he does possess enough size to be durable. His speed is adequate for top flight college/NFL competition.

What KT needs is reps and game experience to become a complete back. He is obviously not being developed here, so he might as well go somewhere else. A complete waste of talent if he stays.

I have been slow to come around to what many on here have been saying about coaching, but my eyes are opening. I have so much passion for UF that I chose ignorance over acceptance. This team should be cruising through the SEC East, and we just suck given our talent level.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Whether it was Taylor, Brown, Harris, Jones, or Joiner there was no excuse for the amount of touches that Driskel got. For all the good runs he had, he had just as many stuffed. Every team has a goal line run package despite the system, and there is no way that we should not have used a RB with a lead blocker on one of the two plays from the 1. I would say this is more effective than a QB power up the middle due to the momentum they get with a lead blocker and can leap to try to score if needed. I would have even been OK with a sneak from under center, but they knew JD was running most of the time.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
alcoholica;n77936 said:
There are two indisputable facts....

1) KT is much better than he is playing
2) KT isn't playing very well

There is no doubt that KT is a tremendous talent, but he is not a complete back....yet. He possesses vision that is as good as anyone in the country. He's not the power back that Jones is, but he does possess enough size to be durable. His speed is adequate for top flight college/NFL competition.

What KT needs is reps and game experience to become a complete back. He is obviously not being developed here, so he might as well go somewhere else. A complete waste of talent if he stays.

I have been slow to come around to what many on here have been saying about coaching, but my eyes are opening. I have so much passion for UF that I chose ignorance over acceptance. This team should be cruising through the SEC East, and we just suck given our talent level.

He would be kicking butt imo if he was someone's featured back. He hasn't been given a chance this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.