Gator Basketball Keyontae Johnson collapses on court; released from hospital

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
From what I'm hearing Zach reached out to Robbie Andreu for advice before releasing the information.

Which recalls an old legal axiom: Wish in one hand, shyt in the other, see which hand fills first.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Which recalls an old legal axiom: Wish in one hand, shyt in the other, see which hand fills first.

That was one of the “standards” from my dad.

Yankeetown

Gator MBA '84
Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2014
Undisclosed sources close to the situation is not where you want to be with private medical information....

Very true. And since the family had already expressed an intent to share more information at a later date, they should have been allowed to do so, on their schedule and with whatever nuanced wording they wanted to use.

Bad optics for Zach here, very questionable judgement. There's no compelling public benefit argument here that I can see.

However, HIPAA regs only regulate "covered entities", which are basically the health care providers, the health plan (insurance company) which pays any claims, and various intermediaries who move or process the billing data.

Family and friends are not regulated by HIPAA. Nor, surprisingly, is the coverage sponsor, i.e., UAA. (Although UAA employees would presumably be subject to internal UF employee conduct rules that would prohibit disclosure of personal information.)

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The Sun doubles down on its reporting stance of Johnson’s health, reprinting a USA Today opinion piece that tosses out a series of serious questions in the aftermath of Abolverdi’s report that cited an anonymous source as saying Johnson suffers from acute myocarditis, a condition that can be brought on by Covid.

College basketball seeks answers on Keyontae Johnson's heart condition

”Florida is somewhat caught in the middle. Johnson's family has the legal right to control what information is released regarding their son's condition. Ideally, Florida would be conferring with the NCAA and SEC, so conferences and schools across the country are maybe not left to wonder if they should be doing more as dozens more college basketball games get played every day.

How many others are at risk?

Some people may say it’s irresponsible to ask that question without knowing exactly what happened to Johnson. I would argue it’s irresponsible not to ask.

Did Florida’s post-COVID-19 medical evaluation of Johnson miss something? Are the SEC’s cardiac protocols, which include an EKG and echocardiogram but not necessarily a cardiac MRI exam — which is required by the Big 12 and Big Ten — rigorous enough? Or was Johnson’s condition not related to COVID-19 at all?

It’s not hyperbole to say that knowing the answers to these questions may save lives.”

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I only hope he will be healthy, and if possible continue his life as he desires. Now I doubt that a writer has final say as to what might be published either. I will wait for official news from the family to be issued before I actually believe any report.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The family’s silence is deafening. Don’t you think they would have shot down the Sun report immediately if it weren’t true?

And, no, Zach didn’t have final say-so. His editor did.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
COVID of course had nothing to do with this except to the people that want to push a narrative on that particular hoax.

What this is about is his NBA future, which is what the family is concerned about. Word of a heart condition will torpedo possible millions in future earnings.

They did not want the word “heart” getting out there at all.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
COVID of course had nothing to do with this except to the people that want to push a narrative on that particular hoax.

What this is about is his NBA future, which is what the family is concerned about. Word of a heart condition will torpedo possible millions in future earnings.

Of course. Why would an NBA team even dream of putting him through a series of cardiac tests when it had a chance to draft the next Reggie Lewis?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It’s illegal to put athletes through those kinds of tests these days.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Even worse for Johnson. Teams will shy away out of fear.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I’m sure Gatehouse Media has semi-deep pockets...

EyeDocGator

Politically Incorrect
Lifetime Member
Oct 26, 2015
Let's put Keyontae's myocarditis in perspective. According to the Wikipedia article myocarditis most commonly affects young men, and there were 345,000 deaths in 2015 (more than COVID-19 deaths in 2020). Although acute myocarditis is associated with COVID-19 infection it is rarer than previously thought:
Myocarditis is rare in COVID-19 autopsies

It may not be possible to determine the etiology of Keyontae's problem. The most common causes of acute myocarditis are genetic predisposition and viral (other than COVID). I suspect that, as usual, logical interpretation of the data will not interfere with politicization and fear-mongering.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Let's put Keyontae's myocarditis in perspective. According to the Wikipedia article myocarditis most commonly affects young men, and there were 345,000 deaths in 2015 (more than COVID-19 deaths in 2020). Although acute myocarditis is associated with COVID-19 infection it is rarer than previously thought:

It may not be possible to determine the etiology of Keyontae's problem. The most common causes of acute myocarditis are genetic predisposition and viral (other than COVID). I suspect that, as usual, logical interpretation of the data will not interfere with politicization and fear-mongering.

And hence the dilemma that Johnson, Florida and the NCAA face: You can’t rule it out, you can’t rule it in. The most likely reason for the silence. They’re scrambling for a definitive handle on something that may escape that and yet is so important from a medical, legal and ethical perspective so as to necessitate it.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

So, you’re saying even if he does have myocarditis (which we don’t know if he does or doesn’t, at all), we have zero possible way to know exactly what caused it? Right?.....typical...

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
It seems like he is going to be some sort of coach this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb