Kids these days will never know….

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
What’s something that kids these days will never know the pain or joy of?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Paper maps. That one sticks with me. I make the kids navigate us thru airports on fam trips to build that muscle of thinking and figuring it out. Can’t do that on road trips with them glued to their phones.

They also won’t know the freedom of riding your bike around town until dark, then using a pay phone to explain to mom why you will be late for dinner. Learned a LOT about roads and getting around, what businesses exist and where, and always kept a quarter in my sock.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I'm with everyone on the paper maps... My wife and I like watching the Amazing Race and the ability to read paper maps is critical, and telling. It clearly separates teams. That and the ability to drive a manual transmission.

The other big one relates to the Christmas season and having to wait for things... like that all the Christmas shows only showed once per year and you waited and waited for them... and the Sear's Christmas catalog with the new toys that year.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Freedom. Real...unadulterated freedom. The ability to ride in the bed of a pick up with five of their best friends without being hassled. Being able to choose not to wear a seatbelt or motorcycle helmet. The ability to go off on their own for hours at a time, exploring, building forts in the woods, building ramps and jumping bikes over them while nobody knew exactly where they were,

Being held responsible for their actions and not having mommy right there to protect and coddle them.

Yes, navigation and paper maps/atlases etc.

Be able to entertain themselves for hours without any electronics.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Being able to lie to your parents about where you are going. Thank goodness for “stalk my child” apps.
Yes... The old "sleep over flim flam"... A asks to stay at B's, B asks to stay at A's, both A and B spend night at "forbidden C's house cuz his single mom is working the night shift"... (alternate is single mom C is home, likely drunk in bed, so we enter at 2 am by climbing on roof and go in through dormer window)

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Freedom. Real...unadulterated freedom. The ability to ride in the bed of a pick up with five of their best friends without being hassled. Being able to choose not to wear a seatbelt or motorcycle helmet. The ability to go off on their own for hours at a time, exploring, building forts in the woods, building ramps and jumping bikes over them while nobody knew exactly where they were,

Being held responsible for their actions and not having mommy right there to protect and coddle them.

Yes, navigation and paper maps/atlases etc.

Be able to entertain themselves for hours without any electronics.
All of this and I'd like to also add they'll miss the unique feel and sound of a leather belt stinging their asses when they f vck up...

Pablos Tunnel

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2017
The sweat dripping down your face as you race full tilt down the street on your big wheel and slide around the street corner at full speed slamming into a parked Ford LTD only to bounce up and get back into the race. No helmet, no gloves, no parents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.