Kids these days will never know….

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Social skills. They do 90% of their communication electronically.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Transistor radios. The toy department that Sears only had during Christmas season. Lightning bugs on a June night. Board games. Model building (although 3D printing is a splendid alternative).

Boys being boys, girls being girls, kids being kids, and long prison sentences for anyone who has a problem with that.

Last edited:

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
This is part of Sean Dietrich's story today....... Disney Kid - Sean of the South

Sometimes I wish I could introduce today’s children to the things we once held dear. Things that are disappearing along with such classic Disney characters.

Things like radios, typewriters, record players, Saturday morning cartoons, rock-skipping, and holding hands at church picnics.

I wish kids could experience summers like we experienced. Like the summer my cousin and I learned to weave pine straw baskets.

Our neighbor, Miss Jean, gave us weaving lessons in exchange for taking care of her peacocks while she left town.

Miss Jean was an eccentric artist who had an obsession with birds. Her peacocks were devilish creatures without souls, known to attack small children who looked at them wrong.

Mutant turtles can’t compete with devil peacocks.

I wish I could show kids that there is more in this world than ear-splitting music and gross movies. There are beautiful things out there.

Music with melody and lyrics. Pine straw baskets. Kitchen phones with long cords. Gilligan's Island. Handmade biscuits. The sound of baseball cards against bicycle spokes. Eating fried chicken on quilts outside. Boiled peanuts. Ernest T. Bass.

And of course, Big Al, leading a band of animatronic Disney bears.

The world is changing on me, and I suppose I’d better learn to love it or get left behind.

Even so, no matter how bad this place gets, it’s comforting to know that the Country Bears are still playing their show-stopping hillbilly music, and have been since 1972.

Once, I was even fortunate enough to see them. Lame? No sir. The day Mama took me to the Magic Kingdom was the greatest day of my childhood. Speaking of which.

I wouldn’t mind dancing with Mama again.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Just think what the generation before said!

Wiping your butt with a corn cobb!
Taking a dump in a 20 degree outhouse?
Getting bit by a black widower in same said outhouse.
Shoveling horse **** out of the stalls.
Getting up at 5:00 every morning to milk the cows.
Chopping firewood for 30 min in order to have a warm meal.
Being last using the bath water.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Actually HS photography class was awesome. 3-1 ratio and plenty of dark room time.
Too awesome sometimes. I once took the girl of my dreams there, had her all to myself for an hour in that sexy infrared glow, and all I did was show her how to develop pictures. Only over the years did my naive dumbass realize that's not what she went there for.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Just a lap belt. Manual transmission.
That brings back memories.
My BFF in HS and college drove her dad's 1956 1/2 convertible mustang (original owner)
When I was the DD in her car I could hardly bring the seat forward enough to reach the clutch. Lap belt and no power steering. It was quite a struggle but this is what the good times are made of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.