Kids these days will never know….

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I started watching "Black Phone" with Ethan Hawke as a serial killer in Colorado back in the 80's. Brought to mind a few things we haven't touched upon:

I didn't do this much, but enough to relate:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet:
images

Which brought to mind these:
s-l500.jpg

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I started watching "Black Phone" with Ethan Hawke as a serial killer in Colorado back in the 80's. Brought to mind a few things we haven't touched upon:

I didn't do this much, but enough to relate:

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet:
images

Which brought to mind these:
s-l500.jpg

Couple of comments:
  1. Picture #1: we made lots of Estes rockets as kid, they were a blast. I can say though that this one does NOT qualify for this thread as I went through a phase with Sons #1 and #2 when they were young and they loved the rockets.
  2. Pic #2: good one, and very true!
  3. Pic #3: thanks for triggering my "Mr. Csatari 8th Grade Algebra PTSD"... jackass! :lol:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
i had algebra 1 and 2 taught via overhead projector. it was a good tool at the time.

if you really wanted to punk the teacher, switch out her dry erase markers with a sharpie or 2 :grin:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
i had algebra 1 and 2 taught via overhead projector. it was a good tool at the time.

if you really wanted to punk the teacher, switch out her dry erase markers with a sharpie or 2 :grin:
Mr. Csatari was fit as fuk and the Co-Head Coach of our football team (yes, we had full on, city wide school football in "middle school". Jr High for us was Grades 7-9, and 8th and 9th Graders could play football)... one did NOT fuk with Mr. Csatari!!!!

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Mr. Csatari was fit as fuk and the Co-Head Coach of our football team (yes, we had full on, city wide school football in "middle school". Jr High for us was Grades 7-9, and 8th and 9th Graders could play football)... one did NOT fuk with Mr. Csatari!!!!

Could put Junior High on this list. 6th grade was awesome and like a mini high school. Came back for 7th grade as a middle school and it sucked being treated like elementary kids again.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

I taught middle school math for a year (1978) using an overhead. It was great cause I could see the class without turning my back. We had those old markers made for glass, before they had dry erase. I didnt write on the sheets I just used the glass.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A few months ago while cleaning out some offices at work, I found an overhead projector in absolute pristine condition. We called dozens of preschools, grade schools, and even the county school system. Nobody would take it. Dumpster it went.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
A few months ago while cleaning out some offices at work, I found an overhead projector in absolute pristine condition. We called dozens of preschools, grade schools, and even the county school system. Nobody would take it. Dumpster it went.
Perhaps if you had sweetened the deal with a rotary telephone, or maybe a VCR rewinder.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
On the topic, having a local news crew like this. Leep is still the GOAT of local weatermen. Andy Hardy knew sports. Hugh Smith was class, too bad he didn't learn to stay away from North Nebraska Avenue though.

sddefault.jpg
Without reading, I’d swear this was an ad for those guys’ after work hangout.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member

In my day, it was putting the chalk between the eraser plies.
chalkboard-eraser-and-chalk-450x600.jpg

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
Apologies if someone posted this and I missed it--- but Frank and Joe Hardy and the gang were a reading staple when I was a kid. IMG_3805 (1).jpg

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Speaking of encyclopedias, did anyone else have a set?

View attachment 54392
Rich people had Encyclopedia Brittanica. (or that's what I thought)

We had the World Book Encyclopedia. It covered the world just before the Apolo missions. I read each volume, cover to cover, multiple times. (Probably when it was crappy weather).

I'm a prude but I still think those are worth having for kids. They still sell them ($500 for the set on Amazon 2021). I wonder if they are PC / woke now?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Rich people had Encyclopedia Brittanica. (or that's what I thought)

We had the World Book Encyclopedia. It covered the world just before the Apolo missions. I read each volume, cover to cover, multiple times. (Probably when it was crappy weather).

I'm a prude but I still think those are worth having for kids. They still sell them ($500 for the set on Amazon 2021). I wonder if they are PC / woke now?
Like I said, ours was an old, used (but perfect condition) set from the 60's... I think my dad wanted us to look all fancy 'n schit.... but I LOVED them and kept them for years, but our basement at Ft Knox flooded one year just enough to wipe them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator