Kids these days will never know….

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
The answer is 9. Any other answer is wrong.
6/2 * (1+2)
6/2 * 3
left to right now. Div and * are equal in precedence
3 * 3 = 9
Even Wolfram Alpha knows that:
Wolfram is wrong. The answer is 1. Using the left to right rule (which isn't) caused the Mars probe to crash.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
MDSA. Multiply, Divide, Subtract, then Add. Or as my 7th grade teacher called it Doctor Say.
That is not complete. It doesn’t account for (). You don’t multiply before dividing. You go from left to right and take as it comes As they are equal.

the correct answer is 9.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
That is not complete. It doesn’t account for (). You don’t multiply before dividing. You go from left to right and take as it comes As they are equal.

the correct answer is 9.
I think this is the best/most complete explanation of "PEMDAS" that I've ever read, and first time in my 55 years that I've seen it spelled out this way (i.e., that "M" and "D" are equals, but you do them from left to rights, and same for "A" and "S"...

We can remember the order using PEMDAS: Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division (from left to right), Addition and Subtraction (from left to right). When I do it like that, I get 9 instead of 1.... but honestly....
download (1).jpeg

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Can you imagine kids today doing this?
View attachment 55824

My mom used to tell the story of my sister's neighborhood friends. I imagine it looked similar to this picture but it was a swing set with an aquarium at the bottom of the slide. It didn't end well for the kid that tried it out first. Ended up in the ER.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Can you imagine kids today doing this?
View attachment 55824

My youngest fractured his wrist a week before we went skiing earlier this month. It was only a three day trip and he’d gone in January so I thought he might try to bail. Instead he went balls to the wall with a cast wrapped in two socks, hitting the woods and jumps like it had never happened. The look on some peoples faces was great. Proud moment that felt very throwback.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
My youngest fractured his wrist a week before we went skiing earlier this month. It was only a three day trip and he’d gone in January so I thought he might try to bail. Instead he went balls to the wall with a cast wrapped in two socks, hitting the woods and jumps like it had never happened. The look on some peoples faces was great. Proud moment that felt very throwback.
Obviously he takes after your mom!
Rub some snow on it, you'll be fine.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Please explain your math.

Even writing the problem as you did here, the () gets 1st priority; (1+2)= 3

6/2*3 = 9 using left to right order of operations.
racist wonder showzen GIF

Users who are viewing this thread

• Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
      Members
      Latest member
      A2xGator