Kids these days will never know….

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Man, those things were love at first sight when you saw them in the Christmas Sears catalog. My Mom and Dad got me a great set with the Giants and the Browns (believe it or not, the marquee matchup in the NFL in the 50's and early 60's), the bigger field and everything. Then, after an hour or so, I got bored, turned the speed (vibration) up to max and turned it into a Royal Rumble.

Here's another one I sadly got bored with quickly. This is the exact same set my brother and I got for Christmas one year. I just wanted to floor the sucker and so naturally I ran into difficulties on the turns. When I wrecked my car, I didn't get another one. The really cool thing with the set we got was the cars were models we had to put together and paint and customize.

1684741331105.png

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Playing in the swamps past the edge of the subdivision.

Talking during the VM message...hey, if your there, pick up, it's me!

Baseball game of the week with Vin Scully and Joe Garagiolla. TWIB with Mel Allen. Howard Cossell doing halftime highlights on MNF. Non-political ESPN.

Must see TV! VCRs as the solution to watching later. Intellivision football and baseball tournaments with the pals.

Pausing the tape at the pool scene in Fast Times at Ridgmont High.

Playing youth sports without parents showing up to yell at you, the coach and the ref.
The good old days, when it was the kid's job to embarrass the parents.

Saturdays in the fall for me circa 1968-1971: Saturday morning bowling league, then home just in time to watch football. No pregame college football shows. One college football game with Keith Jackson on TV on Saturdays. Outside for fresh air, work and play afterward. A doubleheader with Chris Schenkel if you were lucky. Bud Wilkinson with both at different times. The only aftershow was the Prudential College Scoreboard. Few highlights were available until the late news and the coaches' shows on Sunday evenings after the NFL games. The only hair of the dog on Sunday mornings was Notre Dame Highlights with Lindsey Nelson after Davey and Goliath.

The annual Halloween carnival at the school. The star jock showed up looking like Corporal Klinger one year and it was a hoot. Thanksgiving leftovers while watching rivalry Saturday doubleheaders. Raking leaves, jumping in them, and then burning them. The smell and curiously invigorating sting from breathing the cold, smoky air. Hayrides and sleighrides. Riding in the back of Dad's pickup truck to get the Christmas tree. Decorating it while Mom made the Christmas candy.

If feels good to miss it.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014

Saturdays in the fall for me circa 1968-1971: Saturday morning bowling league, then home just in time to watch football. No pregame college football shows. One college football game with Keith Jackson on TV on Saturdays. Outside for fresh air, work and play afterward. A doubleheader with Chris Schenkel if you were lucky. Bud Wilkinson with both at different times. The only aftershow was the Prudential College Scoreboard. Few highlights were available until the late news and the coaches' shows on Sunday evenings after the NFL games. The only hair of the dog on Sunday mornings was Notre Dame Highlights with Lindsey Nelson after Davey and Goliath.

The annual Halloween carnival at the school. The star jock showed up looking like Corporal Klinger one year and it was a hoot. Thanksgiving leftovers while watching rivalry Saturday doubleheaders. Raking leaves, jumping in them, and then burning them. The smell and curiously invigorating sting from breathing the cold, smoky air. Hayrides and sleighrides. Riding in the back of Dad's pickup truck to get the Christmas tree. Decorating it while Mom made the Christmas candy.

Except for the bowling and sleigh rides we had the same childhood. Mine was the southern version.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Nice Davey and Goliath reference! We were lucky enough to have Abbot and Costello movies on Sunday mornings

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Man, those things were love at first sight when you saw them in the Christmas Sears catalog. My Mom and Dad got me a great set with the Giants and the Browns (believe it or not, the marquee matchup in the NFL in the 50's and early 60's), the bigger field and everything. Then, after an hour or so, I got bored, turned the speed (vibration) up to max and turned it into a Royal Rumble.

Here's another one I sadly got bored with quickly. This is the exact same set my brother and I got for Christmas one year. I just wanted to floor the sucker and so naturally I ran into difficulties on the turns. When I wrecked my car, I didn't get another one. The really cool thing with the set we got was the cars were models we had to put together and paint and customize.

View attachment 57791

Best part of this memory for me was we had nowhere to keep it. So, my dad install 4 eye-hooks in my bedroom ceiling and had the track on a giant piece of plywood over my bed we could lower when we wanted to use it. I'd lay awake at night staring at it, thinking which track might be faster, which car.....neither.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018

As coach noted---our childhoods were basically clones of each other but southern version without the same things coach noted. Funny you mention the ND highlights and Lindsey Nelson. It was almost a ritual to watch Fighting Irish football every Sunday morning. I can vividly remember Nelson calling the games and hearing his voice when naming Terry Hanratty and Joe Theismann. No doubt many others but those two stuck out to me

We had the same Halloween Carnival at school as well. Funny how no matter where you were located, it was the era which dictated your childhood....and it appears to be the same for the most part, all over.

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
Best part of this memory for me was we had nowhere to keep it. So, my dad install 4 eye-hooks in my bedroom ceiling and had the track on a giant piece of plywood over my bed we could lower when we wanted to use it. I'd lay awake at night staring at it, thinking which track might be faster, which car.....neither.
What a great innovation by your dad. My dad did stuff like that, too. He loved those kinds of life improvement projects, big or small.

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
When I retire to Wyoming, I will do the hayrides! There is an old flat top hay wagon that was abandoned on the property my youngest bought up there. I am going to put new tires and deck on it and drag kids around town in the fall. The wife said she would make the hot chocolate!

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We still buy Tang about every winter. Mrs. Nalt makes what we call, "Russian Tea" with Tang, instant tea and a few other ingredients. I love the stuff...
Mom called that Tea Tang. We had it for dinner every night in the early 80’s. I had no idea you could still get Tang.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
We still buy Tang about every winter. Mrs. Nalt makes what we call, "Russian Tea" with Tang, instant tea and a few other ingredients. I love the stuff...

The fascinating thing about this thread is that we really are not running out of things to post that stir up long lost memories.

Case in point: I remember Russian tea as a kid. I can't say it was my favorite but I did like it. I haven't thought about it or seen it in over forty years, and then you post this instant memory. Thanks Nalt - and everyone!

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The fascinating thing about this thread is that we really are not running out of things to post that stir up long lost memories.

Case in point: I remember Russian tea as a kid. I can't say it was my favorite but I did like it. I haven't thought about it or seen it in over forty years, and then you post this instant memory. Thanks Nalt - and everyone!
Definitely helps that we seem to have a wide range of when someone went through their nostalgic years. I was born in 81 so i have my younger years in the 80's and my teen years in the 90s. I could probably make a thread all on my own as most of us probably could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator