Kids these days will never know….

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
Kids today will never know...how lucky they are to never have sampled Fischer's Old German Style Beer or Ale or whatever they called it. "Brewed" in Auburndale FL (on account of the pure mountain water there) in the 60's-70's, it was putrid and dirt cheap.
1685577179446.png
The same brewery produced something called ABC Premium Beer. No Gov't warning on these products due to the Gov't deciding that if you drink Fischer's or ABC Beer, you weren't worth saving anyhow.
1685577799015.png

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Did any of y'all ever play with carbide? When I was growing up my dad brought in a small container of carbide rocks. We would get a tin can similar to the Nestlie Quick drink mix can pictured here.

Nestle-Quik-chocolate-milk-mix-1967.jpg

You had to press, or tap the lid in to keep the contents fresher. We would drive a small nail into the bottom of this can after it was no longer needed. Then drop one or two carbide rocks inside and spit on it. The spit (water) mixed with the carbide would create a small amount of Acetylene gas that would accumulate when you pressed the lid back in place. After about a minute we would strike a match and hold it near the nail hole and the explosion inside the can would blow the lid 15-20 feet. Kids today will never know the boring joy of doing that...

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I know its a tape rewinder but it sort of reminds me of a hot dog cooker. You know the ones that had the open spikes with 120V going through them. No fuse, no cover, no problem. This:

My grandmother had one of those....I think it was a gift from a bank when you opened an account there. Back in that day, banks were giving all kinds of incentives to open a savings/checking account: toaster, irons. small radios, etc....and this one time a Hot Dog Cooker. As a kid I thought it was the coolest thing. Jab the ends of the dog on the spike, close the lid and bingo---a million votes shooting through there just cooking weiners like they were in the electric chair. I got in trouble once because I used up 2 packs of dogs cooking them.....just to see them cook. No one was going to eat any--I just wanted to watch.

Even as a kid I recognized the inherent design flaw and danger in having pure voltage flowing through that thing. Somehow a kid would figure how to break or disassemble the lid and expose the prongs---then hold a kid brother or sister's fingers onto the prongs to watch them wiggle and squirm. :lol2:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
My grandmother had one of those....I think it was a gift from a bank when you opened an account there. Back in that day, banks were giving all kinds of incentives to open a savings/checking account: toaster, irons. small radios, etc....and this one time a Hot Dog Cooker. As a kid I thought it was the coolest thing. Jab the ends of the dog on the spike, close the lid and bingo---a million votes shooting through there just cooking weiners like they were in the electric chair. I got in trouble once because I used up 2 packs of dogs cooking them.....just to see them cook. No one was going to eat any--I just wanted to watch.

Even as a kid I recognized the inherent design flaw and danger in having pure voltage flowing through that thing. Somehow a kid would figure how to break or disassemble the lid and expose the prongs---then hold a kid brother or sister's fingers onto the prongs to watch them wiggle and squirm. :lol2:
So, it's a Democrat?

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
tileStarWarsTheRetroCollection3.webp

'Retro' pack, released in 2019? My friend had the Star Wars set of action figures back then, I remember him and I playing in his dad's bushes in the afternoons with them. I had the Micronauts series, usually played with them at the grandparent's house. Not sure kids today know what an action figure is, or what to do with one, nor the endless frustration to get one to stand just right on those weird joints.

I assume these are earlier in the thread, but just in case they aren't (and should be):

Stretch Armstrong / Hulk / Hulkster
Hero-Envy-Denys-Fisher-Stretch-Hulk-john-cimino.jpg

Standard green army men
jl-bmc-lido-army-olive-main-2021_1200x1200.jpg

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
1685725914257.jpeg

I remember nap time in school at least through 2nd grade. We had these flimsy mats to lay down on. Everybody would stay away from that spot on the floor where Mark threw up.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
View attachment 58131

I remember nap time in school at least through 2nd grade. We had these flimsy mats to lay down on. Everybody would stay away from that spot on the floor where Mark threw up.
And the irony of it all was the mere idea of trying to get 5-6-7 year olds to go to sleep at what was it....like 10 in the morning?? Most kids I knew at that age were spitting fire all wound up that time of day. Make it 1-2 pm and they would snooze, but 10 am or so---we all were on our mats laughing, shooting spitballs, pulling girls hair, etc you name it.....but definitely WIDE eyed awake.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
And the irony of it all was the mere idea of trying to get 5-6-7 year olds to go to sleep at what was it....like 10 in the morning?? Most kids I knew at that age were spitting fire all wound up that time of day. Make it 1-2 pm and they would snooze, but 10 am or so---we all were on our mats laughing, shooting spitballs, pulling girls hair, etc you name it.....but definitely WIDE eyed awake.
yep

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Speaking of elementary school routines.....seems like every Wednesday or so, around 11 am the alarm would go off as a drill and everyone would 'duck and cover'. Grab you knees as you hid under you desk.(Loads of protection from a nuclear blast I know) All the kids hurrying to get under their desk, laughing and cutting up after the 2nd time you ever had to do it because everyone knew it was just a "drill" and nothing more. No one really took it serious---even the teach would walk around the room looking to make sure all the kids were safely secured.

Two problems with that: 1--why weren't the teachers ever required to get under their desk? After all, it was a serious drill to be taken....seriously. So why were they exempt. No one really took all those drills serious. Lots of cutting up and slacking off. And 2---Since it was like clockwork and happened the same day, same time every week...all year....sure seems like a good setup if the Soviets WERE going to bomb us, that would have been the best time. "Hey Igor, let's begin bombing next Wednesday at 11:00 am. Those Americans will just think it's a drill".

Totally safe & secure from a 10 megaton bomb.

:hahaha:
1685732152838.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.