Kids these days will never know….

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Nap time? I never went to kindergarten and we didnt nap in elem. My kids did in school. They had nap time in Kinderg. after lunch and allowed parents to pick them up instead of having that nap time. I thought it was a great idea. When I was 5/6 I went to a nursery school in Pulaski Tenn. Two older ladies ran it out of their house (i think) it was great until nap time. I was one that could not sleep. I was WIRED all the time. We all slept on cots that put out. If you made noise or were fidgety the more robust older lady would wack you with this plastic sword she carried around. I got it few times. Prepared me for elem. school as they all had paddles back then. As for duck and cover. That was in 2nd grade. We saw the movie and did as we were told. Outside our window on US 41 we saw convoys heading south toward Dade County.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Speaking of elementary school routines.....seems like every Wednesday or so, around 11 am the alarm would go off as a drill and everyone would 'duck and cover'. Grab you knees as you hid under you desk.(Loads of protection from a nuclear blast I know) All the kids hurrying to get under their desk, laughing and cutting up after the 2nd time you ever had to do it because everyone knew it was just a "drill" and nothing more. No one really took it serious---even the teach would walk around the room looking to make sure all the kids were safely secured.

Two problems with that: 1--why weren't the teachers ever required to get under their desk? After all, it was a serious drill to be taken....seriously. So why were they exempt. No one really took all those drills serious. Lots of cutting up and slacking off. And 2---Since it was like clockwork and happened the same day, same time every week...all year....sure seems like a good setup if the Soviets WERE going to bomb us, that would have been the best time. "Hey Igor, let's begin bombing next Wednesday at 11:00 am. Those Americans will just think it's a drill".

Totally safe & secure from a 10 megaton bomb.

:hahaha:
View attachment 58137
One of the nice things about growing up so close to DC was even at an early age we knew we’d be vaporized in the initial blast no matter what, so we never bothered with any of that.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
tileStarWarsTheRetroCollection3.webp

'Retro' pack, released in 2019? My friend had the Star Wars set of action figures back then, I remember him and I playing in his dad's bushes in the afternoons with them. I had the Micronauts series, usually played with them at the grandparent's house. Not sure kids today know what an action figure is, or what to do with one, nor the endless frustration to get one to stand just right on those weird joints.

I assume these are earlier in the thread, but just in case they aren't (and should be):

Stretch Armstrong / Hulk / Hulkster
Hero-Envy-Denys-Fisher-Stretch-Hulk-john-cimino.jpg

Standard green army men
jl-bmc-lido-army-olive-main-2021_1200x1200.jpg

Action figures today are fantastic. My sons love Transformers & TMNT and the detail is amazing considering many of the ones I had as a kid were just a brick that had movables arms. The GI Joes they are doing now are fantastic as well. Kids can play with them but aimed at collectors in quality.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Action figures today are fantastic. My sons love Transformers & TMNT and the detail is amazing considering many of the ones I had as a kid were just a brick that had movables arms. The GI Joes they are doing now are fantastic as well. Kids can play with them but aimed at collectors in quality.
I'd give anything to have my old original(first run) GI Joe's back in my possession. In the box. Along with all the accessories I had. I had the Marine, Navy, Air Force, Seal....not everything they made but saved my money to buy as much as I could afford. Ended up giving them to some less fortunate cousins years later. (Along with original packaging--can't begin to imagine what they'd be worth now)

Wait a min....did I just admit to playing with dolls back then???:eek3:

Nevermind.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
This might be the right thread for this and I've mentioned it before.
I inherited oak antique furniture from my great-grandparents and have used it in a guest bedroom for over 25 years. I'm ready to part with it and checked with my siblings, children and cousins. Nobody either has room or wants it. I completely get it and in hindsight wish I hadn't taken it. According to the note that my mother wrote when she gave it to me, it's circa 1900 and in excellent condition. When I sold some frame pictures to a second hand store I showed them photos and he offered about $150/piece. It's all sentimental value but I guess I need to get over that and just sell it on Marketplace.

Furniture today is more disposable.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I inherited oak antique furniture from my great-grandparents and have used it in a guest bedroom for over 25 years. I'm ready to part with it and checked with my siblings, children and cousins. Nobody either has room or wants it. I completely get it and in hindsight wish I hadn't taken it. According to the note that my mother wrote when she gave it to me, it's circa 1900 and in excellent condition. When I sold some frame pictures to a second hand store I showed them photos and he offered about $150/piece. It's all sentimental value but I guess I need to get over that and just sell it on Marketplace.

Only because most of it the last 50 years has been made on machinery that's automated. Back in 1900---all hand made. The detail--even basic stuff---was all done by hand. Took a lot longer to make it, all furniture was made with REAL wood(now it can by synthetic anything), and the real reason IMO it's more disposable today is because more money flows so you can buy things on whim and when tired of it--scrap it. Back then, people had to save for a fairly long time to buy their furniture. It not only had sentimental value, but it represented a long standing goal and hard work. They couldn't scrap something when they were tired of it, go to the local furniture store and buy something else on the credit card. It's kind of 'too easy' to buy now, so it loses its value in my folks minds.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Only because most of it the last 50 years has been made on machinery that's automated. Back in 1900---all hand made. The detail--even basic stuff---was all done by hand. Took a lot longer to make it, all furniture was made with REAL wood(now it can by synthetic anything), and the real reason IMO it's my disposable today is because more money flows so you can buy things on whim and when tired of it--scrap it. Back then, people had to save for a fairly long time to buy their furniture. It not only had sentimental value, but it represented a long standing goal and hard work. They couldn't scrap something when they were tired of it, go to the local furniture store and buy something else on the credit card. It's kind of 'too easy' to buy now, so it loses its value in my folks minds.
Yep
Anything you want or need at a click of a button. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the convenience.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
I'd give anything to have my old original(first run) GI Joe's back in my possession. In the box. Along with all the accessories I had. I had the Marine, Navy, Air Force, Seal....not everything the made but saved my money to buy as much as I could afford. Ended up giving them to some less fortunate cousins years later. (Along with original packaging--can't begin to imagine what they'd be worth now)

Wait a min....did I just admit to playing with dolls back then???:eek3:

Nevermind.
My parents got rid of a bunch of my stuff in a move that is worth thousands now. All the He-Man, Transformers, and Ninja Turtle stuff just gone. I had a ton of the 3 inch Joes growing up in the 80's and still to this day a superior toy for it's time compared to others. It was way ahead of its time. Those are the only things I still have and found a guy who can fix the O-rings in them for cheap. Those you had probably fetch a good amount considering the ones from the 80's if still carded can be worth up to thousands. If you are the weirdo kid who kept the US Flag in the box unopened you can get up to around 10K or more for it now.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
My parents got rid of a bunch of my stuff in a move that is worth thousands now. All the He-Man, Transformers, and Ninja Turtle stuff just gone. I had a ton of the 3 inch Joes growing up in the 80's and still to this day a superior toy for it's time compared to others. It was way ahead of its time. Those are the only things I still have and found a guy who can fix the O-rings in them for cheap. Those you had probably fetch a good amount considering the ones from the 80's if still carded can be worth up to thousands. If you are the weirdo kid who kept the US Flag in the box unopened you can get up to around 10K or more for it now.
All my GI Joes were the original 11" or whatever size they came. First ones to come out. I've heard they could be worth $$$ with boxes and mint condition. Oh well...they gone.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Nap time? I never went to kindergarten and we didnt nap in elem. My kids did in school. They had nap time in Kinderg. after lunch and allowed parents to pick them up instead of having that nap time. I thought it was a great idea. When I was 5/6 I went to a nursery school in Pulaski Tenn. Two older ladies ran it out of their house (i think) it was great until nap time. I was one that could not sleep. I was WIRED all the time. We all slept on cots that put out. If you made noise or were fidgety the more robust older lady would wack you with this plastic sword she carried around. I got it few times. Prepared me for elem. school as they all had paddles back then. As for duck and cover. That was in 2nd grade. We saw the movie and did as we were told. Outside our window on US 41 we saw convoys heading south toward Dade County.

I am old like you so I never attended kindergarten since it was not a part of the public school system in Florida way back then.
If I had, I can’t imagine how someone could attempt to get me to nap as a five year old.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I am old like you so I never attended kindergarten since it was not a part of the public school system in Florida way back then.
If I had, I can’t imagine how someone could attempt to get me to nap as a five year old.
Especially at a time of day where you are instinctively wired like a spark plug huh. :lol2:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Speaking of elementary school routines.....seems like every Wednesday or so, around 11 am the alarm would go off as a drill and everyone would 'duck and cover'. Grab you knees as you hid under you desk.(Loads of protection from a nuclear blast I know) All the kids hurrying to get under their desk, laughing and cutting up after the 2nd time you ever had to do it because everyone knew it was just a "drill" and nothing more. No one really took it serious---even the teach would walk around the room looking to make sure all the kids were safely secured.

Two problems with that: 1--why weren't the teachers ever required to get under their desk? After all, it was a serious drill to be taken....seriously. So why were they exempt. No one really took all those drills serious. Lots of cutting up and slacking off. And 2---Since it was like clockwork and happened the same day, same time every week...all year....sure seems like a good setup if the Soviets WERE going to bomb us, that would have been the best time. "Hey Igor, let's begin bombing next Wednesday at 11:00 am. Those Americans will just think it's a drill".

Totally safe & secure from a 10 megaton bomb.

:hahaha:
View attachment 58137
The teachers didn't have to participate because of the same reason that we could remove our masks in restaurants while seated during the Covid scamdemic. Everyone knows that you couldn't get covid if you were seated but it was highly contagious if you were walking to your seat or the bathrooom. During the bombing drills, one was immune to it all if he/she were a teacher making sure the kids were safe... :crazy:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020

Here is an idea to consider if you haven't already sold that antique furniture.

Find a good antique store and either let them sell the items on consignment or rent a booth from them and set up the furniture there and sell it. I bet you either way you will make more than $150/apiece...

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015

You are likely not in Ocala, but there is a store here called Carriage Trade. They are primarily consignment and are a large store with a lot of better quality stuff. There may be such a place near you.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
You are likely not in Ocala, but there is a store here called Carriage Trade. They are primarily consignment and are a large store with a lot of better quality stuff. There may be such a place near you.
Not in Ocala but we are in the Horse Capitol of the World despite what @bradgator2 might say.
Thanks. I think I might have better success selling it on FB marketplace than a consignment type store. The only furniture shop I talked to said $150/piece and $500 for the mantle.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Not in Ocala but we are in the Horse Capitol of the World despite what @bradgator2 might say.
Thanks. I think I might have better success selling it on FB marketplace than a consignment type store. The only furniture shop I talked to said $150/piece and $500 for the mantle.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.