Kids these days will never know….

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Schit, he was about 1000x more "believable" as an Indian than any of the white actors in 1950's Westerns, and about 10000x more believable than any of those FSU fuktards that have dressed up as Chief Doucheola over the years.

Best I can figure it, Osceola was mostly Scottish and only about 1/4 Native American.

...Osceola was named Billy Powell at his birth in 1804 in the Creek village of Talisi...

...The residents of the original Talisi village and of the current city of Tallassee were a mixture of several ethnicities...

...His mother was Polly Coppinger, a mixed-race Creek woman, and his father was most likely William Powell, a Scottish trader...

...Polly was also of Muscogee and European ancestry, as the daughter of Ann McQueen and Jose Coppinger...

...Ann McQueen was also mixed-race Muscogee Creek; her father, James McQueen, was Scottish. Ann was probably the sister or aunt of Peter McQueen...

...Billy Powell's maternal grandfather, James McQueen, was a ship-jumping Scottish sailor...

All that said, at least they don't dress him like a Plains Indian like they used to back in the day (just get rid of the horse, face paint, and flaming spear and they'll be getting close). I'm not saying he should be wearing a tartan kilt and playing the bagpipes, but at least the cotton tunic is authentic to the Seminole.

iu

Also, Fcuk the 'Noles.

Alex.

Last edited:

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Our daughter makes custom made notecards and will use a calligraphy pen. @Nalt even turned some wooden handles and sent pens to the kids. They are beautiful. He’s made a few things for us, a couple in orange and blue which probably caused him a great deal of pain. :lol:

Edit: just found this on my camera roll

View attachment 52076
For the record, the item on the right in that pic is a Wine bottle stopper. In case some of y'all were wondering... :nono:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Best I can figure it, Osceola was mostly Scottish and only about 1/4 Native American.

...Osceola was named Billy Powell at his birth in 1804 in the Creek village of Talisi...

...The residents of the original Talisi village and of the current city of Tallassee were a mixture of several ethnicities...

...His mother was Polly Coppinger, a mixed-race Creek woman, and his father was most likely William Powell, a Scottish trader...

...Polly was also of Muscogee and European ancestry, as the daughter of Ann McQueen and Jose Coppinger...

...Ann McQueen was also mixed-race Muscogee Creek; her father, James McQueen, was Scottish. Ann was probably the sister or aunt of Peter McQueen...

...Billy Powell's maternal grandfather, James McQueen, was a ship-jumping Scottish sailor...

All that said, at least they don't dress him like a Plains Indian like they used to back in the day (just get rid of the horse, face paint, and flaming spear and they'll be getting close). I'm not saying he should be wearing a tartan kilt and playing the bagpipes, but at least the cotton tunic is authentic to the Seminole.

iu

Also, Fcuk the 'Noles.

Alex.

My sister dated a cowboy when she was a teenager. He came from a wealthy family but he liked bull riding, barrel racing and anything to do with horses. He was as much of an Indian as Elizabeth Warren. For a while he was Chief Osceola for FSU and had the horse on his farm. My dad liked the horse so much that he bought a colt just like him. He was so wild and didn't last long.... the boyfriend or the colt.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My sister dated a cowboy when she was a teenager. He came from a wealthy family but he liked bull riding, barrel racing and anything to do with horses. He was as much of an Indian as Elizabeth Warren. For a while he was Chief Osceola for FSU and had the horse on his farm. My dad liked the horse so much that he bought a colt just like him. He was so wild and didn't last long.... the boyfriend or the colt.

The real Appaloosas were bred by a native tribe in the Northwest. They were brilliant horses, among the best in the world.

The originals mostly melted away when the tribe was defeated by the army and moved to a reservation.

Decades later, people tried to bring the breed back. This new version had some of the old genes, but a lot of other breeds mixed in .

Billy Powell (aka Osceola) certainly never had one and almost certainly never saw one or even heard of one. The originals were bred 3,000 miles away, cost a fortune, and disappeared before Osceola was born. The copies didn't show up until long after Osceola died.

Alex.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
The real Appaloosas were bred by a native tribe in the Northwest. They were brilliant horses, among the best in the world.

The originals mostly melted away when the tribe was defeated by the army and moved to a reservation.

Decades later, people tried to bring the breed back. This new version had some of the old genes, but a lot of other breeds mixed in .

Billy Powell (aka Osceola) certainly never had one and almost certainly never saw one or even heard of one. The originals were bred 3,000 miles away, cost a fortune, and disappeared before Osceola was born. The copies didn't show up until long after Osceola died.

Alex.
Since we are talking about Indians, did you know that the 400000 or so natives were defeated by 10000 or so US Army troopers?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I grew up a little later than you. By then the 80s had taken complete hold of everything. So I had one as well, but struggled to find a trapper keeper that didn’t have neon colors, some weird modern art design and generally look like a poster for a Winger concert. Still though, I can hear the Velcro and it immediately takes me back to middle school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator