Kids these days will never know….

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
6 / 2 * (1+2) =
6 / 2 * (3)=
3 * (3)=9
Do all the multiplication before any division. So, 2x3 =6. 6/6 =1. I don't who is teaching left to right before finishing all the multipliction but it is wrong.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
1+2=3 3x2 =6 6/6=1.
That is how I thought you were coming up with your answer. You are either forgetting, or ignoring the "Order of Operations" that you were taught in elementary school.

Math-Order of operations.JPG

Math-right and wrong examples.JPG

When you follow the accepted rules of solving mathmatical expressions the only correct answer is "9"

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
That is how I thought you were coming up with your answer. You are either forgetting, or ignoring the "Order of Operations" that you were taught in elementary school.

View attachment 55846

View attachment 55847

When you follow the accepted rules of solving mathmatical expressions the only correct answer is "9"
Do all the multiplication first. M and D aren't the same. Go get a HP calculator and enter using Rpn.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Do all the multiplication first. M and D aren't the same. Go get a HP calculator and enter using Rpn.
Where do you come by the order of operations that YOU are using? I, and other posters have already referenced that we use the widely accepted (PEMDAS) practice.

Parenthesis, Expressions, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction from left to right.

g8r.tom

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Do all the multiplication before any division. So, 2x3 =6. 6/6 =1. I don't who is teaching left to right before finishing all the multipliction but it is wrong.

Multiplication and division are in the same category and do not have preference over each other. You do them in order, left to right.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Fine,..lets do it your way. Lets make everything multiplication.
6 / 2 * (1 + 2)=
6 / 2 * 3 =
6 * 0.5 * 3 =
3 * 3 = 9.

Point 1: Nalt owned you earlier. Just chewed you up and spit you out.
Point 2: Fuch your Reverse Polish Notation.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

View attachment 55846

View attachment 55847

IMO, the equation needs to be written more explicitly. When you Assume you make an ass out of u and me.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Obviously he takes after your mom!
Rub some snow on it, you'll be fine.

I’ll never take anything away from my mother, but I skied two weeks after hernia surgery as a kid. Also once dislocated my elbow on a jump and went back up to do the same jump again(and stuck it, ftr) before heading down to seek medical attention and end the day. So I’m taking credit for this one. :lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I’ll never take anything away from my mother, but I skied two weeks after hernia surgery as a kid. Also once dislocated my elbow on a jump and went back up to do the same jump again(and stuck it, ftr) before heading down to seek medical attention and end the day. So I’m taking credit for this one. :lol:
You might be remembering the story wrong. Your mom made you get out there and ski so soon after the surgery because she paid good money for those tickets and they weren’t going to waste. And she didn’t raise a quitter so she wasn’t taking you to the hospital until you perfected the jump. Sorry, this event has your mom written all over it.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
You might be remembering the story wrong. Your mom made you get out there and ski so soon after the surgery because she paid good money for those tickets and they weren’t going to waste. And she didn’t raise a quitter so she wasn’t taking you to the hospital until you perfected the jump. Sorry, this event has your mom written all over it.

All very true. I stand down. :lol:

Altitude Gator

Lurking from Altitude
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2017
Where do you come by the order of operations that YOU are using? I, and other posters have already referenced that we use the widely accepted (PEMDAS) practice.

Parenthesis, Expressions, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction from left to right.
Just because several you say it, doesn't make it right. The answer is, and always will be, 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator