AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I had to Google this monstrosity.

It was worse than I imagined.

Tang (which is terrible), instant tea with lemon (which is terrible), powdered lemonade if you used plain instant tea instead of the lemony one (which is terrible), sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. OK, the last 3 ingredients are pretty good. But the rest of it??? (shudders)

Have y’all ever had mulled cider or mulled wine?

If you have fond memories of this hideous Tang concoction, you really need to try the good stuff. Purchase some decent mulling spices and go to work. Tastes great and makes your house smell like Christmas.

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Tang (which is terrible), instant tea with lemon (which is terrible), powdered lemonade if you used plain instant tea instead of the lemony one (which is terrible), sugar, cinnamon, and cloves. OK, the last 3 ingredients are pretty good. But the rest of it??? (shudders)

If you have fond memories of this hideous Tang concoction, you really need to try the good stuff. Purchase some decent mulling spices and go to work. Tastes great and makes your house smell like Christmas.

Alex.

My wife does mulled wine in the winter. It’s not my favorite but it’s ok.

And at the risk of offending anyone, I join you in your shock at that Russian tea recipe. What in the hell?

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014

Alex.
Gluhwein (served hot out of a pot) was an absolute winner in Germany in winter/at Christmas time. Served on the street

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
My wife does mulled wine in the winter. It’s not my favorite but it’s ok.

And at the risk of offending anyone, I join you in your shock at that Russian tea recipe. What in the hell?
How was it invented??? How???

I’m imagining some young miscreant playing mad scientist with the assorted powders in gramma’s pantry, a pissed off granny forcing the poor wretch to drink his creation, and the little bastard insisting it tastes good, grimacing as he forces each vile gulp down his gullet.

Thank God granny stopped him before he got to the fridge and added mustard, pickle juice, and expired Worcestershire sauce. Your childhoods would have been even worse.

Alex.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We’d have this fairly regular when I was growing up. Not so bad, but then we’d eat at Grandmama’s and she‘d have rice and gravy and remind me that Rice-a-Roni was a cheap substitute…and, from San Francisco.

1684838745985.gif

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
How was it invented??? How???

I’m imagining some young miscreant playing mad scientist with the assorted powders in gramma’s pantry, a pissed off granny forcing the poor wretch to drink his creation, and the little bastard insisting it tastes good, grimacing as he forces each vile gulp down his gullet.

Thank God granny stopped him before he got to the fridge and added mustard, pickle juice, and expired Worcestershire sauce. Your childhoods would have been even worse.

Alex.
Oddly specific...

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015

Those were more at the grandparents house than at our house. Grandparents also allowed that we eat in the living room to watch tv at dinner, everyone got one of these:

494c63eb-49d3-40e4-be47-5a5145dadd01.ceedb6f8db3f99bfeb91a2a9cadf20e3.jpeg

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Going back to nostalgia...

Grandma ALWAYS had fig newtons around. Wasn't until I was an adult that I realized it was to help their digestive systems. Kids today DON'T WANT TO KNOW.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Those were more at the grandparents house than at our house. Grandparents also allowed that we eat in the living room to watch tv at dinner, everyone got one of these:

What's with the artsy-fartsy fancy model? THIS was what I grew up with: The metal kind which clanged loud and hollow as you bumped into them.

1684845586635.png 1684845610344.png

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The good old days, when it was the kid's job to embarrass the parents.

Saturdays in the fall for me circa 1968-1971: Saturday morning bowling league, then home just in time to watch football. No pregame college football shows. One college football game with Keith Jackson on TV on Saturdays. Outside for fresh air, work and play afterward. A doubleheader with Chris Schenkel if you were lucky. Bud Wilkinson with both at different times. The only aftershow was the Prudential College Scoreboard. Few highlights were available until the late news and the coaches' shows on Sunday evenings after the NFL games. The only hair of the dog on Sunday mornings was Notre Dame Highlights with Lindsey Nelson after Davey and Goliath.

The annual Halloween carnival at the school. The star jock showed up looking like Corporal Klinger one year and it was a hoot. Thanksgiving leftovers while watching rivalry Saturday doubleheaders. Raking leaves, jumping in them, and then burning them. The smell and curiously invigorating sting from breathing the cold, smoky air. Hayrides and sleighrides. Riding in the back of Dad's pickup truck to get the Christmas tree. Decorating it while Mom made the Christmas candy.

If feels good to miss it.

And to think that I assumed that nobody on this board would remember Davey and Goliath.
The episodes were pretty awful but they were the only thing close to a cartoon on Sunday mornings so we rarely missed it.

My sons still don’t believe me when I tell them that the typical fall Saturday featured one, maybe two, college football games only and that the Sunday Notre Dame highlights became almost the third game of the weekend. When I was little I knew almost as many of the ND players as I did Florida just from watching the highlights show.

I’m not going to say life was better then but it sure was simpler. I am thankful for being a kid during that era.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

We have a set just like that and once the kids went off to college started using them pretty regularly at dinner time - like last night for example!

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
My sons still don’t believe me when I tell them that the typical fall Saturday featured one, maybe two, college football games only and that the Sunday Notre Dame highlights became almost the third game of the weekend. When I was little I knew almost as many of the ND players as I did Florida just from watching the highlights show.
That is soooooo true. One weekend game--occasionally a double header where you would have a regional game during afternoon, and a nationally televised game at night. Good example was back then, I really, really looked forward to the USC-UCLA game on rivalry weekend because of the cheerleaders. Nothing more. Those USC sweater-wearing cheerleaders...OMG. :yes:

I tried to find a screenshot from TV Guide back from those days to show your sons what a Saturday was really like. Nothing at all like now for sure. No luck finding it yet. But I did find this ABC Promo Ad for the upcoming 1971 football season. Notice they merely say "NCAA Football Every Week"....which meant ONE college football game every week. (I can't wait.)

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
We have a set just like that and once the kids went off to college started using them pretty regularly at dinner time - like last night for example!

Do I have a slight suspicion that your TV remote has a velcro patch to be attached to one of them? No. Not really. Most likely I think probably no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb