Kids these days will never know….

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
This sort of pertains.....when I was young, we NEVER had ginger ale in the house. The only times, and I mean only times we ever had it was when someone got sick. The excuse to get it was that it helped upset stomachs better than other soft drinks. How valid that argument was...no clue. But I heard it from when I was a wee little lad on up for years. And at my friends' homes--same story. They never got any unless someone had been barfing and then the father would make a special run to the store to buy a bottle of ginger ale.

Looking back now, I can only assume availability may have played a part in that thinking--about the only brand I ever heard of for eons was Canada Dry, so it wasn't like now where you find the Canada Dry of course, but find ready available almost anywhere--Seagram's, Vernor's, Winn-Dixie Chek, Publix, Sam's Choice(or whatever Walmart calls theirs), etc. It is everywhere and very common to find. The other reason might have been cost. Maybe the cost was higher because one company seemed to have the entire market share. I have no idea.

Anyway--were we the only ones who felt Ginger Ale was "special" reserved for "special occasions"....such as severe puking?

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
This soft of pertains.....when I was young, we NEVER had ginger ale in the house. The only times, and I mean only times we ever had it was when someone got sick. The excuse to get it was that it helped upset stomachs better than other soft drinks. How valid that argument was...no clue. But I heard it from when I was a wee little lad on up for years. And at my friends' homes--same story. They never got any unless someone had been barfing and then the father would make a special run to the store to buy a bottle of ginger ale.

Looking back now, I can only assume availability may have played a part in that thinking--about the only brand I ever heard of for eons was Canada Dry, so it wasn't like now where you find the Canada Dry of course, but find ready available almost anywhere--Seagram's, Vernor's, Winn-Dixie Chek, Publix, Sam's Choice(or whatever Walmart calls theirs), etc. It is everywhere and very common to find. The other reason might have been cost. Maybe the cost was higher because one company seemed to have the entire market share. I have no idea.

Anyway--were we the only ones who felt Ginger Ale was "special" reserved for "special occasions"....such as severe puking?
I remember it too for an upset stomach. It was my favorite soft drink as kid. I don't drink a lot of soda but I get it on a flight just out of nostalgia. We have something "local" to KY called Ale 8 that rivals ginger ale but I don't think it compares. The kids love it.

1685136801105.png

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
This sort of pertains.....when I was young, we NEVER had ginger ale in the house. The only times, and I mean only times we ever had it was when someone got sick. The excuse to get it was that it helped upset stomachs better than other soft drinks. How valid that argument was...no clue. But I heard it from when I was a wee little lad on up for years. And at my friends' homes--same story. They never got any unless someone had been barfing and then the father would make a special run to the store to buy a bottle of ginger ale.

My Dad drank Vernors ginger ale with milk.

I think it was a Detroit thing back in the day.

I liked Vernors, but never got into the habit of adding milk or ice cream myself.

‘Bout the only times I’ve had Ginger Ale in the last few decades was on a plane.

You may think you’ve had it in bars as a mixer (“Crown with a splash of ginger, please”) but it’s rarely ginger ale. Limited number of options on the soda gun usually means no ginger ale unless it comes from a can or bottle. Bartenders make ersatz ginger ale by mixing a little Sprite with a little Diet Coke using the gun. Sorry to ruin it for you.

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

I liked Vernors, but never got into the habit of adding milk or ice cream myself.

‘Bout the only times I’ve had Ginger Ale in the last few decades was on a plane.

You may think you’ve had it in bars as a mixer (“Crown with a splash of ginger, please”) but it’s rarely ginger ale. Limited number of options on the soda gun usually means no ginger ale unless it comes from a can or bottle. Bartenders make ersatz ginger ale by mixing a little Sprite with a little Diet Coke using the gun. Sorry to ruin it for you.

Alex.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

Alex.
You can still find Squirt in some stores. Undrinkable by itself, but a solid mixer.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I remember it too for an upset stomach. It was my favorite soft drink as kid. I don't drink a lot of soda but I get it on a flight just out of nostalgia. We have something "local" to KY called Ale 8 that rivals ginger ale but I don't think it compares. The kids love it.

View attachment 57950

It’s times like this that I feel maybe it’s best I’m advised not to step foot in Kentucky. They don’t even bother to make sure their own bottle is upright in a marketing piece? Complete disaster.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member

View attachment 57950
I hear you. It’s Sun Drop in these parts, best with Beam or Makers Mark.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
It’s times like this that I feel maybe it’s best I’m advised not to step foot in Kentucky. They don’t even bother to make sure their own bottle is upright in a marketing piece? Complete disaster.
Sounds like it could be for the best.
Also, we will be searching for a new wedding venue. Your place in Palm Beach might be too uppity for the likes of us.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
firefly.jpg

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Mrs G didn’t have lightning bugs/fire flies in her neighborhood growing up - too close to the Gulf maybe? Anyway, when it gets warm enough where we live in Ga. the woods behind our house fill up with them and she gets excited like a little kid. She used to be that way about snow until a few winters in DC cured her of that.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Mrs G didn’t have lightning bugs/fire flies in her neighborhood growing up - too close to the Gulf maybe? Anyway, when it gets warm enough where we live in Ga. the woods behind our house fill up with them and she gets excited like a little kid. She used to be that way about snow until a few winters in DC cured her of that.
I haven't seen them yet this year but it was always a big deal for us when the kids were little.
Cicadas will emerge soon too.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Sounds like it could be for the best.
Also, we will be searching for a new wedding venue. Your place in Palm Beach might be too uppity for the likes of us.
Let me know where you decide to hold it. I'll provide the ginger ale now that I can afford it. :lol2:

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
No, those are in KY.
That was probably almost 45 years ago and i can still see Larry's face and hear his voice saying it and picture the scene along the woodline... clear as day. My kids are very familiar with me saying liiiiiiiight'nin buhhhhhhhhhg :lol:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
That was probably almost 45 years ago and i can still see Larry's face and hear his voice saying it and picture the scene along the woodline... clear as day. My kids are very familiar with me saying liiiiiiiight'nin buhhhhhhhhhg :lol:
That’s normal talk in KY.
However we went to downtown Lexington for dinner recently and we could have been in Atlanta, Chicago or anywhere liberal USA. I hardly recognized it at nighttime after the professionals leave work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb