Recruiting Kirby Smart article on recruiting (good read)

If you were forced to have dinner with one of these legends, who would you choose?

• Steve Spurrier

• Danny Wuerffel

• Tim Tebow

Results are only viewable after voting.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Love him or hate him, this is a good read on recruiting. The part about Chick-fil-a is spot on:

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a...position-in-recruiting-Theyre-hard-to-come-by

Kirby Smart describes the most competitive position in recruiting

Kirby Smart says you can never have enough top-level defensive linemen. He wanted to sign more on Wednesday, but didn’t have much room.

Georgia signed two 4-star defensive ends and a 4-star defensive tackle on Signing Day, but they reportedly pulled the offer from another tackle late.

“Would I like to have more? Yes. Was I pleased with what we had last year? Yes. But ultimately, there’s 11 that you can have,” Smart said. “We have a target area for each position, and we’re on our target area in that position.

I don’t think you ever turn down a good defensive lineman. They’re just hard to come by. It’s really hard to get those guys. The top five, six in the country are always the most competitive to get, because that’s the hardest position to find.”

UGA signed two ends and three tackles last year.

“We did try to target more athletic, faster-twitch guys,” Smart said. “We hope some guys that signed last year can grow into that, the smaller guys, and maybe guys in this class. But I don’t think you can ever sign enough defensive linemen. It almost turned out this year where the defensive line was like the offensive line last year, where you wish you could’ve got an extra guy. We’re capped out as far as our numbers.”

Georgia’s class finished ranked No. 3, tying for the highest in school history. Smart has expanded Georgia’s off-field and recruiting work since coming aboard last year. In his first full cycle, he was pleased with the adjustments from last year.

“Just quality control, official visits, managing things more efficiently, making sure sure we’re applying to the customer,” Smart said. “I always relate it to Chick-Fil-A. When there’s a long line, they come out and take your order. We don’t want long lines. We want to avoid that. We want good customer service. We’re always trying to find out how to do it better than the other guy. We listen, the No. 1 thing we do. We talk to parents, find out what they like about other visits and do a lot of things in-house.

“Who’s watching tape? Who will be able to evaluate kids and make the right decisions? Forecasting your roster a year ahead is really hard now. Kids transfer more often than they ever have, and they graduate and move more often than they ever have. They also come out for the draft. What your team looks like, snapshot now, snapshot next year, can change pretty quickly.”

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Of course he forgot to mention this:
3oGRFAkRv4K4wZ7u3S.gif

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Of course he forgot to mention this:
3oGRFAkRv4K4wZ7u3S.gif

Chomp, that's so weak.

Pretty much every Gator fan has resorted to "they're cheating" when we lose out in recruiting.

And this is even more weak considering we have 4 coaches on our staff w/ direct Saban ties....and a recruiting coordinator. But yeah, they're cheating and we're not....because, you know, UF would NEVER cheat (cough, cough...how many SEC titles did we not win because of recruiting violations??).

And that's not what this is about. Look at their class, 2nd or 3rd best in the country. But I know, they just cheated and paid all their players. So just dismiss the article....

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Chomp, that's so weak.

Pretty much every Gator fan has resorted to "they're cheating" when we lose out in recruiting.

And this is even more weak considering we have 4 coaches on our staff w/ direct Saban ties....and a recruiting coordinator. But yeah, they're cheating and we're not....because, you know, UF would NEVER cheat (cough, cough...how many SEC titles did we not win because of recruiting violations??).

And that's not what this is about. Look at their class, 2nd or 3rd best in the country. But I know, they just cheated and paid all their players. So just dismiss the article....

I apologize BMF, I was being a bit facetious

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I apologize BMF, I was being a bit facetious

Chomp, no problem bro. I thought it was a pretty good article....and on that note, it's something our staff should consider.

I think we're all happy w/ the class, after the possibility of finishing closer to 20 vs 10th. However, there are obviously issues w/ our recruiting. I hope McElwain does a self-assessment, makes a few more support staff hires (at least 4-6 more, at least), and gets a head start on the next cycle.

Sep 29, 2015
Mac's class wasn't that far off of Smart's class this year. We had 15 rivals four stars (Kyree Campbell and Jake Allen were 4* at one point too), humpers had 14, but got the edge due to 2 5 stars. In other words, we pulled 15 of the nations top players (many from Florida which is a bonus), they pulled 16. Their two elite players obviously count for something, but it wouldn't surprise me in 3 years when this class can truly be evaluated that Mac's class proved to be the better of the two.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You totally exspurted it BMF =
start as early as anybody -- start when things aren't yet hectically bombarding the kid & family (& his coach),when we can be just openly expressive in showing care for the kid's future and not so much choose us-us-us pressure.
Show yourself to be so genuine as to ask for a copy of the kid's films (even if he doesn't yet have any.) The interested request will stick in his pride -- especially if later recruit visitors don't ask for film of him.

Now if reading those few Ksmart angles gives our recruiters decent ideas to remember, imagine the gains if all involved in Gator recruiting read actual books written about recruiting psychology and grab'em hooks.
Listen to me; I'm all on board for selling college emotion. Why not have a prim/propper pretty
UF Jr-Sr coed take the recruit to our campus' "romantic-leisure" spots and have her tell him to
imagine spending relaxing time right here with his girlfriend soaking in the UF college life
atmosphere. {besides, who would suspect a sweety coed being our bagman$?}

gatordad3

You're stewed, buttwad!
Lifetime Member
Jan 31, 2016
Kirby Smart seems to be a great recruiter, but it was obvious how he rode Saban's coattails for years at Bama. UGA never had a problem with bringing in talent along with producing NFL players, they just never seem to find the right coach since Vince Dooley left.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mac's class wasn't that far off of Smart's class this year. We had 15 rivals four stars (Kyree Campbell and Jake Allen were 4* at one point too), humpers had 14, but got the edge due to 2 5 stars. In other words, we pulled 15 of the nations top players (many from Florida which is a bonus), they pulled 16. Their two elite players obviously count for something, but it wouldn't surprise me in 3 years when this class can truly be evaluated that Mac's class proved to be the better of the two.

:britney:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
They're calling this a "once in a generation class" up in here in Atlanta. Time will tell, but he needs to learn to coach if he's gonna have any success with the talent he's bringing in.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
They're calling this a "once in a generation class" up in here in Atlanta. Time will tell, but he needs to learn to coach if he's gonna have any success with the talent he's bringing in.

He's been a head coach for 1 year. We should have an idea this year. I'm curious to see if his OC can coach. I think he's a similar coach as Saban & Muschamp on Defense - he'll always have a good/above average/great Defense. The question is on the O side of the ball. And I think he did the smart thing last year: take your lumps w/ a freshman who is a potential star and hope the experience pays off in the following seasons. (I wish McElwain had played one of our freshman).

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Georgia looks to be set up going forward. Time will tell I guess. Hopefully he can't coach too good.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
First off, I'm no Dawg fan by any stretch. Having to endure Herschel, Lindsey Scott, and other losses to them in my lifetime still makes me mad, despite SOS turning the tide and us having dominated them for the most part through these last four coaches (props to Mac btw for his success and Muschamp excepted). But I am a Kirby Smart fan. I can't help but be. As some know, his dad gave me my first coaching job and Kirby was a player during that time. He was fast if undersized even for a secondary player, but he was an extension of his dad on the field. He played FS and called the coverages and checks and made sure we were properly aligned and that everyone was locked in to their responsibility. His senior year, we made it to the semi's and lost to the eventual state champs (Dunwoody) in a close game. Truth is, we probably shouldn't have made it that far, but we were a group,of overachievers, none more so than Kirby. He wound up being named the Region Defensive Player of the Year (in 1-AAAA, that was a pretty big deal at that time) and I believe he got some all-state recognition. Even bigger, he was Salutation of his class. These things are big parts of why he is where he is now.

What a lot of folks don't know is that he was very close to being a Gator. Like many Georgia boys, he wanted to play for the Dawgs, but toward the end of the cycle, there was no offer, just a wait and see and if there winds up being a lost commitment, it's yours. Zook (recruiting the position and area for SOS at that time) was interested and set up a visit to a game and I was supposed to take him down for it. But on the Friday before, UGA finally offered and the deal was done. I think our interest drove this more than a scholarship opening up ;). I know Muschamp tried to get him on board as our DC, but even with their past relationship, that likely wasn't going to happen. Bama was good for him and he knew UGA would come calling. I think he also was smart enough to see the writing in the wall where Muschamp was concerned.

Those at say he needs to learn to coach are entitled to their opinions. I'd say he has to get comfortable with the role of HC. The X's and O's he knows. Job one for him will be getting his offense straightened up and probably will affect the OC position (sound familiar). We'll have to see on this one. But as it stands, I believe he will become a more formidable opponent than Richt. If recruiting is an indicator, it is easier to see this I think. I hope he has success....every game but one each year :).

Engulf me in flames if you must, but my relationship with him and his family makes me so...

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I am a little scared he is going to have more success than some think here also.

GatorAuthor

Bringing Prestige Worldwide
Feb 24, 2016
Once in a generation? Over the top hyperbole. Didn't we pull 2 5*s last year and the year before? SOS was right in that UGA has always celebrated their self-dubbed recruiting success and has long under-performed in the Fall. String together several yrs at the top of the SEC in December before awarding yourselves "once in a generation" in anything.

It's almost like UT crowing about winning 1 of the last 12 games against us. Deserves nothing but a "whatever".

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Kirby is certainly trying to raise the bar in Athens. At first I thought Georgia had made a mistake in getting rid of Right, but not sure now. I think the Gators are also going to get better. Look forward to some wars in Jacksonville.

NoGaGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2014
Smart has certainly recruited better than McElwain, to-date. McElwain is the better coach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.