Knee surgery

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
IDK about using a pool until the skin heals from the scalpel. If you're getting a replacement, rehab to the max. I've had a cpl arthroscopy and a lateral release but nothing major.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
How much to just cut it off instead???
iu

Alex.
Technically, I dont think he snippy snippy yet.

XbhOrPdnaCfZSIObyOpsqDnccpXdyspFPmiXphsb8JNbJ_-wvvwnPVkoBvf8qlWiTsKS7wq7dg02FgbHWtgaLSoMZ6qsL24cEumuexYSRsG4Q-7NrtwUlLhL5qYbLiRxIOdd

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Alright against my better sense I'm going to have my knee fixed. It looks from the MRI report to be totally obliterated with 3 different tears and a laundry list of other sh!t that is messed up. I'm having a hard time putting my shoe on and dragging my leg to the point my other hip is starting to bother me. Who here has had major knee surgery done and what should I expect? How long will I be laid up?
Now bear in mind I ask about this part(being laid up) because I will be stuck at home with my MIL for whatever period of time that may be and honestly I would have had this done several years ago if I didn't keep having nightmares about this scene from Misery...
Misery (1990) Hobbling - YouTube
This is a pic from an old Army friend (he's 52) from two days after his surgery (a week ago) ... you'll be fine! ;) tn.jpg

Here is his post from 3 hours ago:

One week post op and had to give an update. This is the first truly lucid moment for me on 3 days, so here it goes...
1) PT lady is awesome and supportive, PT sucks orangutan testicles,
2) Pain management appears to be a lost art (800 mg of OTC Tylenol every 6 hours and only 10 mg of oxycontin don't cut it. Bring on some Turudol, Tramidol, or something else to cut this pain),
3) There are 8 different types of pain in the medical world and I got "lucky" enough to experience at least 5 of them since last Tuesday,
4) Warn a brother about this damn bone pain and having to sleep on one's back, and this unexplained creeping bruising on my thighs, a couple of weeks out so we can prepare.
5) Lack of sleep (see #4), the inability to get comfortable, pain, flop sweats, and watching the same 4 walls can make one a bit grouchy and bitchy.
Oh, and 6) Bob Crane, Red Skelton, and Richard Pryor DO NOT visit your bedside to debate smooth bore vs fog....
Found i made several calls today for God Only Knows for what reasons, so I am apologizing right now. My wife deserves an award, so chat her up
I am dying for a cigar and a glass of whiskey but gotta wait a bit more.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
What's that sh!t all over his knee? They are supposed to just use a laser to go in and tighten some stuff up...4 small holes from what I've read. Local Annie and I want a view of what's going on so they don't f vck something up(don't trust Drs.) This is also supposed to be an outpatient thing too....What is he talking about " the same 4 walls"?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
What's that sh!t all over his knee? They are supposed to just use a laser to go in and tighten some stuff up...4 small holes from what I've read. Local Annie and I want a view of what's going on so they don't f vck something up(don't trust Drs.) This is also supposed to be an outpatient thing too....What is he talking about " the same 4 walls"?

Those are bandages, Crete. And saran wrap. You’ve been duped.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What's that sh!t all over his knee? They are supposed to just use a laser to go in and tighten some stuff up...4 small holes from what I've read.
Sounds more like youre just getting a roto-rooter in there to clean out all the cartilage tears.

I had that done. It is supposed to be fairly rapid return to duty, but I had some problems getting the quad to re-engage. They ended up needing to do some electrical therapy at PT to make the quads work at first.

It was really wierd at first for me. You feel like a baby deer trying to learn to walk.

I did rush back to work because I had a project and it couldnt really be handed off. Maybe rehabbing harder would have helped.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Sounds more like youre just getting a roto-rooter in there to clean out all the cartilage tears.

I had that done. It is supposed to be fairly rapid return to duty, but I had some problems getting the quad to re-engage. They ended up needing to do some electrical therapy at PT to make the quads work at first.
See this is what I want to hear. What kind of damage did you have if you remember? ACL, Meniscus/Posterior horn and some degenerative stuff for me. The ACL is only partially torn...there is also a possible cyst on the back of my knee...with my luck it's probably cancer.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
See this is what I want to hear. What kind of damage did you have if you remember? ACL, Meniscus/Posterior horn and some degenerative stuff for me. The ACL is only partially torn...there is also a possible cyst on the back of my knee...with my luck it's probably cancer.

Donkey had a torn labia

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
5 major meniscus tears/flaps, 3 minor, arthritis galore, and so much inflammation he thought seriously about not proceeding, he said. But no current ligament tears (knew that going in). He is a guy who does athletes. Said he has seen worse, but only on NFL players.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
5 major meniscus tears/flaps, 3 minor, arthritis galore, and so much inflammation he thought seriously about not proceeding, he said. But no current ligament tears (knew that going in). He is a guy who does athletes. Said he has seen worse, but only on NFL players
Yeah after brushing up on some of the terminology most of mine looks to be related to the meniscus along with the partial tear of the ACL and degenerative(arthritis) related issues. I am thinking(hoping) not to hear the words "knee replacement" now that I have decided on a Dr. and set up an appointment for the first week of July. I've actually read somewhere that repairing BOTH the meniscus and acl at the same time increases the success rate for both. This Dr. specializes in Athletic treatments and replacements too and I've gotten 3 different referrals from my Chiropractor and his patients who've used him...Gonna be tough being down(I'm naturally on the hyper side) but my other knee and hip are starting to feel fatigued all the time over the last 2 or 3 months.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Gonna be tough being down(I'm naturally on the hyper side)
:lmao2:

REALLY?

Im not sure about the ACL, I've never had one, but the meniscus really doesn't keep you down for long. You're walking almost immediately, crutches for a while, just a splint after that for a while, but I wasn't stuck in bed (any more than usual). :donkey:

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I needed TKR surgery and wanted to be all re-habbed and almost back to Normal by Opening Weekend, Football season.
I had my second Total Knee replacement surgery last week. First one was 2016.
In 2014 I had Rotator Cuff surgery and had a bad reaction to Oxy, so ever since then, I can only get Hydro codone. Basically Tylenol 3.

I really can't believe they're only allowing 7 days prescriptions on Hydro Codone. This rehab is painful but damn, to rehab with OTC stuff?

In the past, I would make sure my PT coincided with the sweet spot in my meds. That helped alot!
I agree with everyone in this thread that Re hab is the key but, You need to push every single excercise.

Crazy that we have allowed our entire pharmaceutical operating infrastructure to be invaded by bad players that use perfectly safe drugs for illegal activities.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I needed TKR surgery and wanted to be all re-habbed and almost back to Normal by Opening Weekend, Football season.
In 2014 I had Rotator Cuff surgery and had a bad reaction to Oxy, so ever since then, I can only get Hydro codone. Basically Tylenol 3.

I really can't believe they're only allowing 7 days prescriptions on Hydro Codone. This rehab is painful but damn, to rehab with OTC stuff?

In the past, I would make sure my PT coincided with the sweet spot in my meds. That helped alot!
I agree with everyone in this thread that Re hab is the key but, You need to push every single excercise.

Crazy that we have allowed our entire pharmaceutical operating infrastructure to be invaded by bad players that use perfectly safe drugs for illegal activities.
Hydrocodone (Vicodin, Norco, etc.) is a stronger painkiller than codeine (Tylenol 3).

Sorry to hear what you are going through. The opioid problem in this country has really screwed over folks like yourself who have a legitimate need.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Hydrocodone (Vicodin, Norco, etc.) is a stronger painkiller than codeine (Tylenol 3).

Sorry to hear what you are going through. The opioid problem in this country has really screwed over folks like yourself who have a legitimate need.
Damn, I thought Hydro Codone WAS Tylenol 3?

I was better off than I thought....

All good, Pushing through, with my sights on Labor day weekend.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020

Hope you can heal quickly and be moving about soon!

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

Two weeks recovery minus rehab?

I'm still hobbling around but it's starting to affect my mood and the damned arthritis medication makes it extra hard to lose 20# while not giving up beer.....getting old really does suck.

Ironhead

Defender of freedom.
Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Two weeks recovery minus rehab?

I'm still hobbling around but it's starting to affect my mood and the damned arthritis medication makes it extra hard to lose 20# while not giving up beer.....getting old really does suck.
When did you have the surgery?
Yeah, the first two weeks make you question having it done. It's hard as hell getting up every few hours just to go to the damned bathroom.
Agreed, Getting old really does suck. Just can't recover like we used to, just can't ignore stuff like we used to.

Doc ended up giving me another week on the hydro.
Surgery was Aug 10th.
So, I'm not quite 3 weeks yet.
Re hab so far has been torture. I don't recall it being this bad for the first one.

Still, I do believe I've passed the worst and am headed back the other way to normalcy.

Damned hospital screwed up my Re hab schedule. I had two weeks at home paid for by Insurance, then check into a facility for re hab 3 days a week.
So, tha'ts all out the window and I'm on my own until Tuesday next week. Which is ok but, I can't measure my flexibility on the back side, Flexion?

Still, I'm walking pretty good, but better with the cane Thinking re hab will help with all that too.

Are you on the cane?

Good luck in your recovery!

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
When did you have the surgery?
Yeah, the first two weeks make you question having it done. It's hard as hell getting up every few hours just to go to the damned bathroom.
Agreed, Getting old really does suck. Just can't recover like we used to, just can't ignore stuff like we used to.

Doc ended up giving me another week on the hydro.
Surgery was Aug 10th.
So, I'm not quite 3 weeks yet.
Re hab so far has been torture. I don't recall it being this bad for the first one.

Still, I do believe I've passed the worst and am headed back the other way to normalcy.

Damned hospital screwed up my Re hab schedule. I had two weeks at home paid for by Insurance, then check into a facility for re hab 3 days a week.
So, tha'ts all out the window and I'm on my own until Tuesday next week. Which is ok but, I can't measure my flexibility on the back side, Flexion?

Still, I'm walking pretty good, but better with the cane Thinking re hab will help with all that too.

Are you on the cane?

Good luck in your recovery!
No I still haven't had the surgery yet. Just doing a few exercises and riding the exercise bike for 15-25 minutes 5 days a week. I seem to go on cycles where it feels ok for a week or 2 then bad for about 4-5 days. I'm just worried I might wear out my other knee or hip if I keep going.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
No I still haven't had the surgery yet. Just doing a few exercises and riding the exercise bike for 15-25 minutes 5 days a week. I seem to go on cycles where it feels ok for a week or 2 then bad for about 4-5 days. I'm just worried I might wear out my other knee or hip if I keep going.
That's probably what the Ortho is hoping for. Fix one problem then a few months later fix the other problem that came about because of the 1st. If he is really lucky, you will also wear out both hips so he can do those, or refer you to an ortho that does hip replacements...

Good luck either way. Just know that surgery is probably in your future regardless... And for the record, women usually tend to tolerate the replacement pain a lot better than men do...

Spurdog98

Preston Brooks
Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2018
Jiffy knee is the way to go. Look it up. And anterior approach for total hip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb