Krispy Kreme Doughnuts

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Mrs. BNA very much dislikes windy roads, that dislike increases significantly if it’s side-of-mountain switchbacks, and is terrified when there is no guardrail. She would not have liked this drive.

However, a few weeks ago I did a drive in RMNP and as I was speaking with a shuttle driver about my planned route, he pointed me to a “less traveled” route I should try. I came to the side road and said “ah, why not?”

Let me tell you why not.

As I turn onto the road, it immediately narrows and I see the “one way” sign. I am now committed to this 12 mile “side trip”. First the road turns into a dirt road, and then...sheer drop off, no rail, no shoulder, and maybe 10 ft wide. I’m sure the views were incredible...I wouldn’t know. 12 miles of white knuckle switchbacks. I did stop once to take a picture. I needed a break.

So you’re a wuss too! :p

When we went to Frisco 2 years ago they had a very early snow in Oct. We are used to driving in snow but I-70 near the tunnel in a mini-suv rental car was the worst decision ever! The top of RMNP road was closed due to snow when we got up there.

You are bound to have some great adventures out there-enjoy!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I had the famous “Pikes Peak donuts” this weekend, as I drove up to the summit this weekend (14,110 ft), where the nation’s highest gift shop makes and sells the nation’s highest altitude donuts from the nation’s highest fryer. A special (and secret) recipe is used for the high altitude.

I found them...decent. If I had hiked to the summit, rather than drove, I suspect they would have been the most delicious donuts I had ever eaten.

I actually couldn’t drive to the summit - the nation’s highest construction site is building a new $50M visitors center with an observation deck, etc. and so we had to stop 3 miles from the summit, and board shuttles up. I would have hiked that (about 5m round trip with 1500 ft of elevation) but the 8” of snow and subsequent ice made the trail “not recommended”, so I just shuttled up and down. Pretty cool. Notice how dark the blue is at the top of the picture.

Can't believe you didn't take a quick detour off I-25 and Belleview and take me with you

:(

I also noticed when I was there a few years ago... not much grows up at that elevation

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Mrs. BNA very much dislikes windy roads, that dislike increases significantly if it’s side-of-mountain switchbacks, and is terrified when there is no guardrail. She would not have liked this drive.

However, a few weeks ago I did a drive in RMNP and as I was speaking with a shuttle driver about my planned route, he pointed me to a “less traveled” route I should try. I came to the side road and said “ah, why not?”

Let me tell you why not.

As I turn onto the road, it immediately narrows and I see the “one way” sign. I am now committed to this 12 mile “side trip”. First the road turns into a dirt road, and then...sheer drop off, no rail, no shoulder, and maybe 10 ft wide. I’m sure the views were incredible...I wouldn’t know. 12 miles of white knuckle switchbacks. I did stop once to take a picture. I needed a break.
So, you did NOT notice how dark blue the sky was on that one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator