Kubernetes - the origin story

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
For those of you who know about containers and the orchestration of them (Kubernetes), this is a very interesting look at the guys who invented it, including one of my former co-workers.

As an aside - if you have a Gmail account, then you are using a container in the background.
Most all of the modern applications that we all use are now containerized.

This is part 1:

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
I detest docker and kubernetes. I detest anything that requires me to use a damn command line and not see whats going on inside the damn container when it runs. VMs were bad enough, but at least you could RD into them to see what the hell they were doing.

Not that Im bitter or anything.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I detest docker and kubernetes. I detest anything that requires me to use a damn command line and not see whats going on inside the damn container when it runs. VMs were bad enough, but at least you could RD into them to see what the hell they were doing.

Not that Im bitter or anything.

containers have an SSH type interface- and yes,
granted, you can’t do or see much since they’re basically just the core application binaries.
also - they’re just cattle compared to your pets (VMs), so if needed, kill that sucker and spin up a new one if needed.

It’s also a pain in the ass environment to set up given the need to know HA Proxy or Nginx. Those almost require a PhD.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
containers have an SSH type interface- and yes,
granted, you can’t do or see much since they’re basically just the core application binaries.
also - they’re just cattle compared to your pets (VMs), so if needed, kill that sucker and spin up a new one if needed.

It’s also a pain in the ass environment to set up given the need to know HA Proxy or Nginx. Those almost require a PhD.
Just ONE PhD?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator