Kyle Trask justifying preseason respect

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Let's hope he stays healthy and gets in sync with a few new WR's along with Grimes, Copeland and Pitts. A revamped running game would help out a ton and lets hope the RB's know their pass protection assignments...should be an interesting year.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Let's hope he stays healthy and gets in sync with a few new WR's along with Grimes, Copeland and Pitts. A revamped running game would help out a ton and lets hope the RB's know their pass protection assignments...should be an interesting year.
I don't expect much improvement in the run game. Dan continues to run this read option rpo thing despite no threat of a run from the guy taking the snaps. That's the issue. The blocking and the understanding of assignments by the line and backs isn't terrible, it's just a square peg in a round hole. As long as trask is back there running that scheme the run game is going to suck. Dan could change things to make both run and pass effective but he didn't last year, even after it was clear that Trask is the guy.

Ive rewatched some of last year's games recently and the amount of times Trask fakes a handoff to no one is crazy. I don't know what the staff thinks him play actioning to air accomplishes other than delaying his progressions and decision making, but I guess they are the experts.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I don't expect much improvement in the run game. Dan continues to run this read option rpo thing despite no threat of a run from the guy taking the snaps. That's the issue. The blocking and the understanding of assignments by the line and backs isn't terrible, it's just a square peg in a round hole. As long as trask is back there running that scheme the run game is going to suck. Dan could change things to make both run and pass effective but he didn't last year, even after it was clear that Trask is the guy.

Ive rewatched some of last year's games recently and the amount of times Trask fakes a handoff to no one is crazy. I don't know what the staff thinks him play actioning to air accomplishes other than delaying his progressions and decision making, but I guess they are the experts.

I don't know why but I laughed out loud!

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I really hope that this off-season the coaching staff adjusted their scheme to better accomodate Trask's strengths and weaknesses. I can see them using the excuse last year that they didn't want to teach a different blocking scheme with several new plays mid-season. However, if we continue to see Trask run the read-option, fake handoffs to no one, etc., then the stubbornness of Mullen will be undeniable. Of course, the fact that Franks started over Trask because he was a better fit for his offense in spite of being the worser player is pretty telling.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I really hope that this off-season the coaching staff adjusted their scheme to better accomodate Trask's strengths and weaknesses. I can see them using the excuse last year that they didn't want to teach a different blocking scheme with several new plays mid-season. However, if we continue to see Trask run the read-option, fake handoffs to no one, etc., then the stubbornness of Mullen will be undeniable. Of course, the fact that Franks started over Trask because he was a better fit for his offense in spite of being the worser player is pretty telling.
I think it will be the same, and if at some point an excuse needs to be made for continuing the square peg round hole, it will be that the virus precluded the time needed to install new schemes. I mean we're already seeing it used as an excuse for the same poor recruiting that occured prior to this year.

GatorJB

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think it will be the same, and if at some point an excuse needs to be made for continuing the square peg round hole, it will be that the virus precluded the time needed to install new schemes. I mean we're already seeing it used as an excuse for the same poor recruiting that occured prior to this year.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. Doesn't help that Trask will be gone next year, and EJ will likely get snaps to prep for next season.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
I really hope that this off-season the coaching staff adjusted their scheme to better accomodate Trask's strengths and weaknesses.

Did Mullen ever make this adjustment at MSU? When? Plus, his backups are Emory and Richardson who will be using practice time too.

I expect a bit less read option by game 5, provided Trask is not hurt already. But, it will be the same offense, just a few less calls. When we do run, it will struggle because we will keep the same plays designed for a running QB that is not in the game or put the running QB into the game allowing the quick adjustment to stacking the box.

Perhaps letting Emery throw more Improves the running a bit when he is in.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014

I agree with most of what you're saying and it's a bit obvious from even casual observers that our offense telegraphs a lot of what their trying to do....Go back and rewatch some of last years games and focus not only on what the QB and RB's are doing ad nauseam but the offensive line is as easy to read for DE's and LB's as a grade school flag football offense....

I'm not saying we should can the entire offensive system as it is what our current players know but I don't think it would hurt to give it a few new looks(formations)even if it involves running mostly the same plays.

IMO we run into trouble against teams that match up physically with us simply because our running/option game is lacking in looks.

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I agree with most of what you're saying and it's a bit obvious from even casual observers that our offense telegraphs a lot of what their trying to do....Go back and rewatch some of last years games and focus not only on what the QB and RB's are doing ad nauseam but the offensive line is as easy to read for DE's and LB's as a grade school flag football offense....

I'm not saying we should can the entire offensive system as it is what our current players know but I don't think it would hurt to give it a few new looks(formations)even if it involves running mostly the same plays.

IMO we run into trouble against teams that match up physically with us simply because our running/option game is lacking in looks.

Looks.......... It's still about Jimmies and Joe's....... Looks is just trying to fool someone....... Real football is about blocking the guy infront of you......... in this area, we haven't been "good" for years.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
Looks.......... It's still about Jimmies and Joe's....... Looks is just trying to fool someone....... Real football is about blocking the guy infront of you......... in this area, we haven't been "good" for years.
If you basically tell the defense what the play is going to be at the snap of the ball you're just making Jimmy and Joes job a lot harder.....Again go watch last years games....not just the highlights and really focus on the offensive line movement at the snap, set(formation), post snap ball fakes(if any) It's basically like watching the football version of the movie GroundHog Day......the offensive line is actually executing what their supposed TO BE DOING 90% of the time but the defense has already collapsed the back side of the play and the backers are waiting in the hole on 90% of our running plays.....

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
I could write a dissertation about the spread, SO, zone blocking, etc. Having gone back and looked at our blocking techniques (which are not good), our blocking schemes (which are not good), and our playcalling in the running game (which is not good), there are several problems with it.

The BIGGEST one is the QB doesn't hold the backside DE on any of our running plays. Either Trask has been given a solid call to give because he is the #2 and we don't want to run him much because of his injury history.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
I could write a dissertation about the spread, SO, zone blocking, etc. Having gone back and looked at our blocking techniques (which are not good), our blocking schemes (which are not good), and our playcalling in the running game (which is not good), there are several problems with it.

The BIGGEST one is the QB doesn't hold the backside DE on any of our running plays. Either Trask has been given a solid call to give because he is the #2 and we don't want to run him much because of his injury history.

Here’s the thing, you can run the ball without the QB holding the backside DE at all. We’ve seen it work. Those plays are sweeps, dives, stretches, tosses, etc. Last year’s line underperformed. Now what your saying is a problem, but it’s not like every play is an option play and we dominated on everything that wasn’t one. Hell, on Perine’s 88-yard TD against Auburn, Heggie embarrassed Lake County with a missed block, but luckily Perine broke the tackle and the line and was off. The line needs to open holes at some point.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he wins them all. Kid sat on the bench when he should have been starting for years. Go get em Kyle!
:chomp:

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Here’s the thing, you can run the ball without the QB holding the backside DE at all. We’ve seen it work. Those plays are sweeps, dives, stretches, tosses, etc. Last year’s line underperformed. Now what your saying is a problem, but it’s not like every play is an option play and we dominated on everything that wasn’t one. Hell, on Perine’s 88-yard TD against Auburn, Heggie embarrassed Lake County with a missed block, but luckily Perine broke the tackle and the line and was off. The line needs to open holes at some point.

We don't run a dive play. It is an inside zone, which requires the qb to hold the backside DE. Almost every running play other than a speed option requires the qb to hold the backside DE. Power, inside and outside zone. QB power where the backside DE gets held by the RB as he comes across would be the exception, but that is a QB designed run.

The zone run blocking scheme should require the playside LB to commit to one of 2 holes. When he does, the RB picks the other. Against a 4 wide look, you will typically have 6 in the box. With 5 OL, that leaves 1 if you put a hat on a hat. The QB is responsible for this one. This is the advantage of the SO over traditional I or single back offenses where the D doesn't key on the QB as an option runner.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
We use the looks as misdirection without actually having to use misdirects

or blocking

deuce

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's still a game of blocking and tackling....... I don't care how you dress the pig up, it's still a pig.

I like motion and influence but if the other guys don't bite, you are just wasting time and energy.

Renard904

Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
It's still a game of blocking and tackling....... I don't care how you dress the pig up, it's still a pig.

I like motion and influence but if the other guys don't bite, you are just wasting time and energy.
You’ve highlighted the beauty of football, IMO. X’s and O’s get way overrated in today’s game. Football always boils down to the fundamentals.

Our problem last year in the run game wasn’t necessarily schematic. There was some atrocious play along the line of scrimmage, but I think it boils down to tempo. The offensive tempo was so “erky-jerky.” I think we should play faster. It’s an equalizer when you have poor offensive line play. It makes the defense think too much. Hopefully with a solid returning quarterback and fairly experienced skill guys, we can play a lot faster this year. That should help the run game exponentially. And allow us to run more plays. So there’s more run opportunities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb