Kyle Trask plans to return to UF for 2020 season

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- No. 8 Florida could have a crowded quarterback room next fall, with redshirt juniors Kyle Trask and Feleipe Franks still having one year of eligibility remaining and redshirt freshman Emory Jones also potentially returning.

At least one of the veterans plans to be around next season.

Asked Monday about the conversations that coach Dan Mullen had with draft-eligible players about the NFL Draft process during the bye week, Trask seemed a bit surprised when a question about his own plans for the offseason came up.

He paused, then answered.

"I still have a whole 'nother year here, so I don't plan on leaving," Trask said.

It seems unlikely that Franks will be ready to practice in the spring after suffering a broken and dislocated ankle that ended his season in September against Kentucky.

That injury could force some tough decisions, with Trask playing exceptional football and Franks and Trask both only having one year of eligibility remaining. The news that Trask plans to return makes that calculus even more interesting.

"He’s out of the cast and on crutches and in the walking boot," Mullen said of Franks on Nov. 11. "It’s going to be a while for him. It would be fortunate if we get him back for spring practice with the type of injury he had.

"That’s not always one that is an exact date, I think, from dealing with some of those in the past. It would be good if we could get back for spring practice, but I don’t know if that’s a possibility or not."

Florida has found ways to involve Emory Jones throughout this season, and the Gators would certainly hope to keep the dual-threat quarterback prospect around.

That's presumably an easier sell than getting both of the veterans to stick around for the 2020 season; Jones would still have two full years of eligibility to serve as the starter after Franks or Trask in 2020.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Not sure what Trask is thinking. It's my understanding that Mullen actually really want EJ to be the starter.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Good to hear since the O line will probably struggle run blocking for the RBs again. Hopefully Mullen can keep Jones from jumping ship knowing he will take over in 2021 with 2 years remaining.

With Mullen's history Jones has zero chance to start the first game short of an injury.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Franks should start his baseball career when he recovers,

Trask, you can't blame the guy, a backup QB his whole life, gets to play for UF, not some FCS school, we're talking the Gators, why would he leave? Plus he is doing a helluva job. Without him we're probably looking at 4 losses, a lot of noise in the system to dump Mullen.

EJ just needs to wait his turn. I'm sure he will play a lot more next year. The schedule favors us, let's get some big leads and let him play the 2nd half. Stop the stupid redzone clusterfvk of switching QB. A QB gets a team to the redzone, let him go for the score.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Franks should start his baseball career when he recovers,

Trask, you can't blame the guy, a backup QB his whole life, gets to play for UF, not some FCS school, we're talking the Gators, why would he leave? Plus he is doing a helluva job. Without him we're probably looking at 4 losses, a lot of noise in the system to dump Mullen.

EJ just needs to wait his turn. I'm sure he will play a lot more next year. The schedule favors us, let's get some big leads and let him play the 2nd half. Stop the stupid redzone clusterfvk of switching QB. A QB gets a team to the redzone, let him go for the score.

Yep Franks is in a bind if he cant play in the spring for another school.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am sure the Donk is thrilled with this news.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I like Trask a great deal. I'm not sure how smart he is, but he's a great guy.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I think the fans would revolt if Franks starter ahead of the other 2 guys

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
That injury could force some tough decisions, with Trask playing exceptional football and Franks and Trask both only having one year of eligibility remaining. The news that Trask plans to return makes that calculus even more interesting.

Couldn't Franks be the "Tebow similar".... the 3rd and short battering ram?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.