Kyle Trask plans to return to UF for 2020 season

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So you're confident that with Tua and Burrow gone, Trask just naturally assumes the role as the stat leader? Because you know that Alabama and LSU are going to replace those NFL first rounders with players less talented than Trask?

This whole idea of using this year's stats to project next year's stat leaders is silly. You can do that a little bit in the NFL, where you have less year-over-year turnover. But in the NCAA? No way. That's a fool's game.
Dude. GTFO. Bottom line is you said Trask was NOTHING more than a “serviceable backup.” “A placeholder.” I’m saying you’re full of sh!!t. His performance proves otherwise.

That’s the whole point. The kid is currently the 3rd best QB in the SEC! Again for the slow minded, that’s better that ELEVEN other current starters who ALL have way more experience. That’s friggin remarkable. The kid is a Gator. A damn good Gator! He saved our season and has been waaaayyy better than anyone expected. A “placeholder” or “serviceable backup” isn’t 3rd in the SEC behind ONLY two potential 1st round draft picks. He’s a hell of a lot better than “serviceable backup”. To say otherwise is asinine.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
"Statistically speaking," maybe, because there will be starters next year with no stats to compare. But there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. Straight up, do you project that Kyle Trask is going to be the best QB in the SEC next year?

How do you even know Trask is going to start, and that Franks won't win his job back? Or that Emory Jones won't surpass both of them?

I think Trask has a harder time next season due to the receiver talent we will be losing but he will still be a good option as our running game with the RBs will still struggle most likely with our O line. He can still be pretty good however if he cuts down on the turnovers some.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
That said, I still don't think we'll ever see him as a regular starter in the NFL. A serviceable backup, maybe.

Which would be completely amazing considering he has started 8 games in his lifetime. Show me another. If he had played thru HS and into college he would likely be one of the top QBs out there.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
"Statistically speaking," maybe, because there will be starters next year with no stats to compare. But there are lies, damned lies, and statistics. Straight up, do you project that Kyle Trask is going to be the best QB in the SEC next year?

How do you even know Trask is going to start, and that Franks won't win his job back? Or that Emory Jones won't surpass both of them?
I’m not saying he will be the best QB next year, just he would be the best returning QB based on actual results. I suspect FF transfers; can’t believe he’d beat out KT. EJ is of course the wild card.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
No one said bench Tebow, but we promised Cam he could do the same role Tebow did we Leak, oresumably to keep Tebow from breaking things and getting concussions. CUM even talked about it innthe spring, then it didnt happen except two plays or so vs Tinerc.

Dan has a track record.
I was going to respond, but others made every point I thought of. In short, the Dak and Cam situations just aren’t comparable.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Again, that was an interesting take to ponder.

After thinking about it, I believe I felt the way you feel, but didn't realize it until you said it. Trask is not a championship-caliber quarterback in Mullen's system
Mullen's system sucks. It is better when he is forced to pass instead.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
I seem to remember a different time our running game wasn't the greatest and the coach, One Urban Meyer, Put something into the lineup that is seldom seen anymore...... A good old blocking, catching and running halfback by the name of Billy Latsko, Who actually was a converted LB

Maybe Cousin Eddie just needs to find his own Billy Latsko

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I seem to remember a different time our running game wasn't the greatest and the coach, One Urban Meyer, Put something into the lineup that is seldom seen anymore...... A good old blocking, catching and running halfback by the name of Billy Latsko, Who actually was a converted LB

Maybe Cousin Eddie just needs to find his own Billy Latsko
If he were going to do it, why wouldn't he have done it by now.

Square peg, round hole continues.

GatorTruth133

Alethea
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2017
Imagine if our O-line played worth a damn this year and Trask had any semblance of a running game threat to slow opposing defenses. His numbers could well be ahead of where they are now. I don't know what happens with the oline next year, but I think this is Trask's job to lose myself. Guy has done really well, showed some rookie mistakes, has had some issues due to the oline, but he has put up passing numbers with consistency that I don't think we've seen in 15 years. Add a running game (even without much of a QB game, remember we had a decent one without much Franks input last year) and you've got a very dangerous offense.

Daryl

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2017
The scheme is built for a runner, pretty sure thats how he rolls but I think the strength of the team dictated Trask played over Jones this year. Our WR Corps is the strength of the offense. Our OL isnt great, Franks was getting lit up before his injury and our Run game is nonexistent. Mullen knew we had to pass first and the bigger and possibly better passer Trask was the best option for that attack. I say possibly because we havent seen Jones pass a lot to make a clear observation.
Just my .02, but if the OL was better and our WR corps was young, Jones wouldve gotten the nod and we wouldve been the run pass ratio Mullen has openly said he prefers.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- No. 8 Florida could have a crowded quarterback room next fall, with redshirt juniors Kyle Trask and Feleipe Franks still having one year of eligibility remaining and redshirt freshman Emory Jones also potentially returning.

At least one of the veterans plans to be around next season.

Asked Monday about the conversations that coach Dan Mullen had with draft-eligible players about the NFL Draft process during the bye week, Trask seemed a bit surprised when a question about his own plans for the offseason came up.

He paused, then answered.

"I still have a whole 'nother year here, so I don't plan on leaving," Trask said.

It seems unlikely that Franks will be ready to practice in the spring after suffering a broken and dislocated ankle that ended his season in September against Kentucky.

That injury could force some tough decisions, with Trask playing exceptional football and Franks and Trask both only having one year of eligibility remaining. The news that Trask plans to return makes that calculus even more interesting.

"He’s out of the cast and on crutches and in the walking boot," Mullen said of Franks on Nov. 11. "It’s going to be a while for him. It would be fortunate if we get him back for spring practice with the type of injury he had.

"That’s not always one that is an exact date, I think, from dealing with some of those in the past. It would be good if we could get back for spring practice, but I don’t know if that’s a possibility or not."

Florida has found ways to involve Emory Jones throughout this season, and the Gators would certainly hope to keep the dual-threat quarterback prospect around.

That's presumably an easier sell than getting both of the veterans to stick around for the 2020 season; Jones would still have two full years of eligibility to serve as the starter after Franks or Trask in 2020.

Scott512

Sep 1, 2014
So sorry FF had this devastating injury with such a long rehabilitation process. Trask has to be the starter next year no matter what with maybe EJ doing some keep the other team off balance things. The question is can they get back to running the ball next season like they did last season? Being able to do that makes everything easier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.