Lacedrick Brunson Next Gator Great?

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
I've seen his video. I'm not seeing what Shannon is selling. It is just highlight tape, but he doesn't leap off the page. That said, we already had 3 LBers in the class. I don't think we needed this kid. I think they see something worth taking a shot on. We will find out.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
This kid is a Miami stud. He'll put on 15 to 20 lbs and prove to be a great pickup. He'll need a year to develop and fill out. Great recruiting includes looking under some rocks.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
His tape looks good enough to me. I don't know what more he could do to look better. He looks like the best player on the field all the time. He is a little see ball, go to ball, but that's probably what he was told to do. If I were that coach, I'd probably give everyone else gaps and let him make plays, too. It's easier to dial a kid back than it is to teach aggressiveness.

Jeez, at least he started in HS. That's the standard around here now. We just hope for guys who have actually played some, but we will occasionally reach below that line.

Last edited:

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It's an interesting article. I wonder how true the statements are about how players on teams with losing records not getting looked at. To me his tape looked pretty similar to Smiths. Doesn't mean a whole lot other than at least he has that tape. It'll be interesting to see how he develops.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
My view is:

1. The day after signing days these guys are all Gators, so I should be for them unless they are causing some kind of trouble for the program. The stars thing is ok before and on signing day, after that they are irrelevant.

2. Like McEl, I mean Swamp Donkey, I liked his tape a lot. He seem to make decisions very quickly and quickly get to the ball.

3. The most worrisome thing about him to me was new in that article. Why did he only play 6 games last year? Was he injured, suspended what?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Article established that Shannon made nice with the kid years ago. Then just kept quiet about him.
Article says the kid's Dad is a high school football coach. It mentions several low-star LBs that Shannon
has developed, including Reese and our other backups that stellarly replaced our injured LBs this year.
So it seems the kids a good bet.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
His tape looks good enough to me. I don't know what more he could do to look better. He looks like the best player on the field all the time. He is a little see ball, go to ball, but that's probably what he was told to do. If I were that coach, I'd probably give everyone else gaps and let him make plays, too. It's easier to dial a kid back than it is to teach aggressiveness.

Jeez, at least he started in HS. That's the standard around here now. We just hope for guys who have actually played some, but we will occasionally reach below that line.

You dog Trask a lot but he makes the tight throws in his tape the other higher rated QBs arent making. Dont be shocked if he starts this season.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
You dog Trask a lot but he makes the tight throws in his tape the other higher rated QBs arent making. Dont be shocked if he starts this season.
What does that have to do with Brunson? Trask will get his chance to compete for the job this Spring thru the Summer and into camp. If Franks beats him out, he better be gold, because he's looked like shyt the last two times.

Back to Brunson, if he's as good as they claim, Shannon just outplayed everyone by keeping the interest quiet. By the time he OV'd, everyone thought we were just desperate. Time will tell if posters were right, or Shannon.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
What does that have to do with Brunson? Trask will get his chance to compete for the job this Spring thru the Summer and into camp. If Franks beats him out, he better be gold, because he's looked like shyt the last two times.

Back to Brunson, if he's as good as they claim, Shannon just outplayed everyone by keeping the interest quiet. By the time he OV'd, everyone thought we were just desperate. Time will tell if posters were right, or Shannon.

Just responding to Law's jab at Trask.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm interested to see how fast Brunson is. If he can run a 4.5 or 4.6 then he can put on some size and be coached into a solid LB. If he is slow then I don't get why they took him. You need speed in the SEC.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
And, to me, he looked like a fairly sure tackler. Get to the play, grab a good hold, and get him on the ground quickly.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
3. The most worrisome thing about him to me was new in that article. Why did he only play 6 games last year? Was he injured, suspended what?

I can't find anywhere that explains WHY he missed half his junior year (note - not this past year, but his junior year). However, I did find this

Totaled 84 tackles (62 solo) and seven sacks in six games during his junior season.

I don't care who you are or what level you're playing at - that screams performance.

I do wonder if he is any relation to the school's coach Latronica Brunson.:rolleyes:

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I don't see a problem with the pick up. A kid from south Florida that is a tackling machine. May not be the biggest or the fastest or maybe didn't camp much but tackles everything. I could see a kid getting lost in the shuffle down there.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't see a problem with the pick up. A kid from south Florida that is a tackling machine. May not be the biggest or the fastest or maybe didn't camp much but tackles everything. I could see a kid getting lost in the shuffle down there.

Agree. It's a position of need and we have the luxury of being able to redshirt this kid. If he gets up to 225-ish a rsFr he'll be fine, especially for ST's....and could eventually be a starter. I'm just not going to sit here and act like we "stole" one from the big-boys of CFB. He's a project, but has a lot of upside.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Agree. It's a position of need and we have the luxury of being able to redshirt this kid. If he gets up to 225-ish a rsFr he'll be fine, especially for ST's....and could eventually be a starter. I'm just not going to sit here and act like we "stole" one from the big-boys of CFB. He's a project, but has a lot of upside.
That's exactly how see it. I wish we would have targeted a DT like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.