Lack of Speed

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Concrete Helmet;n78813 said:
I'm not so sure about that 78.....In a lot of ways we are starting to resemble a big steamy pile of :kiffin:

Lol, saw that coming.

The Original DC

Founding Member
Postradamus
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n78781 said:
Let me preface this by saying I love any player that chooses to play here. But that's the point I was making the other night. Outside of a few here and there, our entire lineup is comprised of plan-B and plan-C guys. It's just reality, and the coaches essentially say that when they choose to pursue certain players more than others, or suddenly go after someone only once one of our commits has bolted.

The most stunning thing about our offense this year is that we've had very good offensive line play, among the best in the SEC. In previous years, we weren't sure exactly how bad our WR's were because we were getting sacked and/or hurried before any plays developed. The much improved protection has the spotlight on a few players and now we fully know how dreadfully mediocre they are; Quinton Dunbar is slow, and has bad hands. Pittman is slower than slow, and has bad hands. Our TE's are converted DE's who have zero ball skills and coordination. We have no idea about Fulwood because we NEVER target him.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
soflagator;n78781 said:
Let me preface this by saying I love any player that chooses to play here. But that's the point I was making the other night. Outside of a few here and there, our entire lineup is comprised of plan-B and plan-C guys. It's just reality, and the coaches essentially say that when they choose to pursue certain players more than others, or suddenly go after someone only once one of our commits has bolted.

We didn't want Worton. We wanted Lane. We didn't want Powell. We wanted Cook. We didn't want McAlister. We wanted Leonard Williams and/or McCord. Again, I'm not knocking the players. But we are not as talented as out championship teams have traditionally been, and that's on the staff for failing on the recruiting trail, most often due to players not being sold on the product or the direction of things.

The plan C guys like Andrades haven't seen the field this year. Surely there have been misses on both sides of the ball. But you're correct that a lot of guys we play on offense are the plan B type guys. Missing on Diggs, Agholar, and Adoree Jackson has hurt the receiving core. But it shouldn't be as dreadful as it is. We've missed signing some stud defensive recruits like Tracy Howard, Lorenzo Carter , Bosa , and Montravius Adams. But it hasn't been a team killer because we at least get decent coaching on that side of the ball.

WobbleGator

Founding Member
Chatterbox Mod
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n78922 said:
The plan C guys like Andrades haven't seen the field this year. Surely there have been misses on both sides of the ball. But you're correct that a lot of guys we play on offense are the plan B type guys. Missing on Diggs, Agholar, and Adoree Jackson has hurt the receiving core. But it shouldn't be as dreadful as it is. We've missed signing some stud defensive recruits like Tracy Howard, Lorenzo Carter , Bosa , and Montravius Adams. But it hasn't been a team killer because we at least get decent coaching on that side of the ball.

Just don't mention missing out on Mike Davis. sofla is finally moving on from that one. :lol:

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
WobbleGator;n78927 said:
Just don't mention missing out on Mike Davis. sofla is finally moving on from that one. :lol:

It should feel so much better to be dead on the money years before anyone else recognizes it.

And yes, it still bothers me.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
When Urban came here, he said he wanted us to be the fastest team in America. I think we are missing speed in some key areas. Our LBs and DL could be faster. Our DBs... Poole seems to not have the speed needed to really keep up.

Our WRs don't seem to have the true breakaway speed you hope to see outside of Debose and Robinson. Powell is our only RB who you could see taking the ball 80 yards... so I do agree, we have a speed issue.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I think solid qb play makes receivers look alot better. We're so limited in what we can call with driskel under center we're not able to get these guys in space and use their athleticism. I don't think we've have the athletes we've had in the past but they're very limited because the they can only get the ball on a screen pass most of the damn time. Also earmon lane is over rated mark my words

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n78965 said:
I think solid qb play makes receivers look alot better. We're so limited in what we can call with driskel under center we're not able to get these guys in space and use their athleticism. I don't think we've have the athletes we've had in the past but they're very limited because the they can only get the ball on a screen pass most of the damn time. Also earmon lane is over rated mark my words

It's a vice/versa good quarterbacks can make average recievers look great and great recievers can make an average quarterback look great. We have neither. 22 dropped passes in 5 games. To match this with the NFL, the Colts lead the league after 6 games with 15 dropped passes. Driskel is what Driskel is a medicore quarterback, but we have had worse talents at quarterback look better due to what the players around them are doing. I agree with benching Jeff, but he is only a piece of the bigger cluster**** which is our team. The play calling is limited due to both sides of this coin.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gatorbait25;n78922 said:

Yeah, I agree that we aren't hurting as bad on the defensive side of the ball from recruiting misses. We would be better with Howard and Adams, Williams (and Carter next year), but we've hit enough there to be in pretty good shape. On the offensive side of the ball, I agree that we are suffering from missing Diggs, Agholar, Jackson, and Cook. That's part of why I'm trying to be patient (more patient than most) with Mushcamp. I really do think Roper is worth his salt - I never liked Chuckie and after a short stint, didn't like Pease very much. I think we have a couple of good (maybe not great, but maybe) freshmen QBs and our O-line's looking better. I think we could win more this year and we'd have a great Defensive recruiting haul. I don't know when we could get some offensive playmakers - especially WR's, but I feel like if we can turn the ship around this year on the field that we'd be much more effective with offensive recruiting. ...especially if Treon makes a strong showing.

I know. I'm crazy.

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
It's a total lack of offensive playmaking speed AND intelligence at the QB & WR positions that are killing this offense. We have a nice stable of backs, but for some reason muschamp hates Taylor, was just recently introduced to Powell, and has forgotten about Adam Lane. Any of our RBs could probably play at any top school in the country. BUT we don't have a QB who can actually throw the ball well, for many reasons... but mostly because he can't put touch on the ball, and because he isn't smart enough to read a defense (maybe things change when Treon becomes the starter). And we don't have WRs coached well enough (lack of discipline; not knocking Leak, but he isn't an elite SEC-level WR coach) to actually run the proper routes and always give their best effort. The two positions are a nightmare for us, and have been since Tebow and his boys left in 08 and 09. I put more of the blame on Driskel, because these WRs are probably in constant confusion when he is throwing the ball. They never know if it'll be a laser 10 feet over their heads, a dead duck that causes them to have to stop and run back to the ball just to stop an interception, a ball that is late-arriving AFTER they've completed their route, or possibly a missile that is thrown low and behind them when they are only 8 yards away (see the Pittman incompletion/decapitation), and of course, the ball that is thrown perfectly to the intercepting player on the opposing team. I am curious how well this group of WRs could actually play, if they had a real WR coach, and an elite QB.

I get sooooo jealous when I watch highlight shows, and I see all these QBs across the country throwing the ball 40, 50, 60 yards in the air and hitting a WR in stride as he runs to the endzone. This is the University of Florida... and it seems like it has been forever since we fielded a team that could actually do that with any real consistency or purpose. I think THAT is a HUGE reason behind all of us holding out so much hope for Treon, since the first 2 passes he ever threw were so incredibly beautiful. WE WANT MORE OF THAT, and until we see it again on a regular basis, this fanbase will not be happy.

Yes, I am spoiled from the Spurrier years, and I make no apologies for it.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Any WR is not going to bust their ass when they know their QB reeks.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
gardnerwebbalumnigator;n79007 said:
Any WR is not going to bust their ass when they know their QB reeks.

Then they are taking up a scholarship that should go to someone who is willing to earn it.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Ray Finkle;n78509 said:
Why people here would prefer overthrowing a deep ball versus an under throw is beyond me. Nobody catches an overthrow, it's a waste. 2 of the 4 possible outcomes trump that on an underthrow, one being the same outcome. PI, completion, incomplete, int.

I want an accurate throw. Unless it is a back shoulder throw by design an under thrown ball is just a great opportunity for an int.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
We need either Brian white or roper on the sidelines coaching the offensive side of the ball up. That's the problem with the offense. They only have leak and summers down there.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
EuroGator;n78991 said:
That's part of why I'm trying to be patient (more patient than most) with Mushcamp.

Muschamp has had his chance. The program cannot afford to be patient with Muschamp anymore. Posters here have already mentioned lack of identity, offensive misses in recruiting, etc. The right hire can turn this program around almost immediately. Muschamp can't.

RocketCityGator

In All Kinds of Weather
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
[QUOTE.

Yes, I am spoiled from the Spurrier years, and I make no apologies for it. [/QUOTE]

I'm with you.

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
bayou gator;n78992 said:
It's a total lack of offensive playmaking speed AND intelligence at the QB & WR positions that are killing this offense. We have a nice stable of backs, but for some reason muschamp hates Taylor, was just recently introduced to Powell, and has forgotten about Adam Lane. Any of our RBs could probably play at any top school in the country. BUT we don't have a QB who can actually throw the ball well, for many reasons... but mostly because he can't put touch on the ball, and because he isn't smart enough to read a defense (maybe things change when Treon becomes the starter). And we don't have WRs coached well enough (lack of discipline; not knocking Leak, but he isn't an elite SEC-level WR coach) to actually run the proper routes and always give their best effort. The two positions are a nightmare for us, and have been since Tebow and his boys left in 08 and 09. I put more of the blame on Driskel, because these WRs are probably in constant confusion when he is throwing the ball. They never know if it'll be a laser 10 feet over their heads, a dead duck that causes them to have to stop and run back to the ball just to stop an interception, a ball that is late-arriving AFTER they've completed their route, or possibly a missile that is thrown low and behind them when they are only 8 yards away (see the Pittman incompletion/decapitation), and of course, the ball that is thrown perfectly to the intercepting player on the opposing team. I am curious how well this group of WRs could actually play, if they had a real WR coach, and an elite QB.

I get sooooo jealous when I watch highlight shows, and I see all these QBs across the country throwing the ball 40, 50, 60 yards in the air and hitting a WR in stride as he runs to the endzone. This is the University of Florida... and it seems like it has been forever since we fielded a team that could actually do that with any real consistency or purpose. I think THAT is a HUGE reason behind all of us holding out so much hope for Treon, since the first 2 passes he ever threw were so incredibly beautiful. WE WANT MORE OF THAT, and until we see it again on a regular basis, this fanbase will not be happy.

Yes, I am spoiled from the Spurrier years, and I make no apologies for it.

Uh... yeah. Muschamp hates Taylor. Don't you see how ridiculous that is?

Muschamp has forgotten about Adam Lane. Ridiculous statement, right? (BTW, he discussed him in a recent presser.)

WR aren't performing because Driskel's confusing them? Dumb.

We've got problems, but can we at least be honest about them and stop trying to find one or two scape goats to bear all the blame? If Treon comes in and the WRs still perform as poorly as they have been, will you still blame the QB for their play?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
EuroGator;n78991 said:
Yeah, I agree that we aren't hurting as bad on the defensive side of the ball from recruiting misses. We would be better with Howard and Adams, Williams (and Carter next year), but we've hit enough there to be in pretty good shape. On the offensive side of the ball, I agree that we are suffering from missing Diggs, Agholar, Jackson, and Cook. That's part of why I'm trying to be patient (more patient than most) with Mushcamp. I really do think Roper is worth his salt - I never liked Chuckie and after a short stint, didn't like Pease very much. I think we have a couple of good (maybe not great, but maybe) freshmen QBs and our O-line's looking better. I think we could win more this year and we'd have a great Defensive recruiting haul. I don't know when we could get some offensive playmakers - especially WR's, but I feel like if we can turn the ship around this year on the field that we'd be much more effective with offensive recruiting. ...especially if Treon makes a strong showing.

I know. I'm crazy.

Unless we miraculously win out I don't see us getting a lot of these guys we were favored to get. There's a huge cloud over the program right now. No one's happy. Not even the current players it doesn't appear. If you're still holding out hope on a good class you should really lower your expectations

bayou gator

Lord I was born a shamblin' man...
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
EuroGator;n79036 said:
Uh... yeah. Muschamp hates Taylor. Don't you see how ridiculous that is?

Muschamp has forgotten about Adam Lane. Ridiculous statement, right? (BTW, he discussed him in a recent presser.)

WR aren't performing because Driskel's confusing them? Dumb.

We've got problems, but can we at least be honest about them and stop trying to find one or two scape goats to bear all the blame? If Treon comes in and the WRs still perform as poorly as they have been, will you still blame the QB for their play?

Reading comprehension, gauging hyperbole, and sarcasm detection aren't your strong suits are they? I said BOTH QB & WR play were issues. We have had one of the most spastic and erratic quarterbacks any of us have ever seen, combined with a group of wide receivers that have not been coached. Both need to be addressed. As for the running backs, I seriously don't give a damn what Muschamp says in a press conference. Their absence from the field is more than enough to warrant a comment... Regardless of how ridiculous you may think it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator