Laptop problem

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I have a Toshiba Satellite C-55 laptop. I use Chrome for my everyday browser. This morning I had three pages loaded. When I tried to disconnect the page I was viewing, the computer failed to respond to the mouse curser. I could navigate the curser with the touchpad but when I would tap the pad to issue a command, I could see either a link, icon, or cell respond by a contact "ghosting" but otherwise got no reaction from the computer. Placing the curser on a command and punching the enter key offered a likewise non-response. I did a hard reboot and the computer went through the startup processes very slowly and once open the computer was in the same unresponsive state. I did a second hard reboot after this time removing the battery and the power cord. After waiting a few minutes for the bad spirits to hopefully leave, I started it up again. Once open this time I managed to open, update, and run Malwarebytes which found 0 infections. I then successfully ran CCleaner checking the registry (0 errors) and running the cleaner and dumping my internet cache. Once done I then attempted to open both Chrome and IE to the same response. I then tried all programs and no response. I hardbooted again. Nothing. I do know that peculiar to this model, the F5 key actually acts as a toggle that ables/disables the pointer rather than performing the refresh function. I found this out one day after hitting it by mistake and thought the computer was on the fritz. Anybody got any ideas?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Have you look at your Task Manager to see what percentages your CPU and memory are? Are you having this troublé if you stay off the internet, are you running a Firewall?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
problem exists whether I'm on the internet or not. I cant open anything. Pointer moves around but wonty respond to clicks. Firewall is on. I haven't tried task manager

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Next reboot, avoid browsers and see how other applications launch and perform. This will help identify if it is a browser issue, but from what you describe I sincerely doubt that is the problem. As gren points out, check the taskmanager to see if there is a process or servce that is consuming resources.

More likely I suspect one of two things. First is that there is a process launching and consuming your system, slowing it down - however, the mouse clicks would work...evenuatlly. This would explain the slow down effect, but it wouldn't prevent the clicks from performing. Have you used a USB mouse plugged in to see if the click functions work there? It may be your hardware is failing. This would explain the lack of click-ability, but does not address the slow downs.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
problem exists whether I'm on the internet or not. I cant open anything. Pointer moves around but wonty respond to clicks. Firewall is on. I haven't tried task manager
try booting in safe mode änd try a usb mouse and try uninstall your touchpad

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Thanks..I will try later when im thru working. Just checkin in.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That occurred a couple of days ago
it sounds like a conflict to me. I believe that I've had this problem twice in the last year and I thought that I left myself a note. Kind of like some Sci Fi movie , let me read my notes. Have you tried any of things suggested? If you are using a ẃireless mouse then you might try the mouse dongle in a different USB port.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OK this is weird. Downloaded a driver download program that scans your system to tell you the condition of your drivers and will download the ones that are out of date. The scan is free, the fix is $40. I got the list of outdated drivers then declined the $40 prurchase, went to synaptics site (my pointing device) couldn't find the driver on the site. Left there went to device manager and really just scrolled thru there didnt do anything but look. Got frustrated shut that down and on a whim clicked on Chrome and it connected.
Who the fuk knows. So now I am a hardware wizard.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
OK this is weird. Downloaded a driver download program that scans your system to tell you the condition of your drivers and will download the ones that are out of date. The scan is free, the fix is $40. I got the list of outdated drivers then declined the $40 prurchase, went to synaptics site (my pointing device) couldn't find the driver on the site. Left there went to device manager and really just scrolled thru there didnt do anything but look. Got frustrated shut that down and on a whim clicked on Chrome and it connected.
:) Sh!t happens. I think two devices might be sharing the same interrupt.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

I had the same thing happen with malwarebytes or ad aware or something free like that. Told me driver was out of date and it was just a lie to get me to buy something of theirs....

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Pick up CCCleaner and run regular scans on your PC

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
That free stuff that you download to scan your computer is usually nothing but malware, adware or maybe even ransomware. Stay away.
I really do not think a driver will cause the problem of freezing and not being able to enter at times.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Pick up CCCleaner and run regular scans on your PC

I have a Toshiba Satellite C-55 laptop. I use Chrome for my everyday browser. This morning I had three pages loaded. When I tried to disconnect the page I was viewing, the computer failed to respond to the mouse curser. I could navigate the curser with the touchpad but when I would tap the pad to issue a command, I could see either a link, icon, or cell respond by a contact "ghosting" but otherwise got no reaction from the computer. Placing the curser on a command and punching the enter key offered a likewise non-response. I did a hard reboot and the computer went through the startup processes very slowly and once open the computer was in the same unresponsive state. I did a second hard reboot after this time removing the battery and the power cord. After waiting a few minutes for the bad spirits to hopefully leave, I started it up again. Once open this time I managed to open, update, and run Malwarebytes which found 0 infections. I then successfully ran CCleaner checking the registry (0 errors) and running the cleaner and dumping my internet cache. Once done I then attempted to open both Chrome and IE to the same response. I then tried all programs and no response. I hardbooted again. Nothing. I do know that peculiar to this model, the F5 key actually acts as a toggle that ables/disables the pointer rather than performing the refresh function. I found this out one day after hitting it by mistake and thought the computer was on the fritz. Anybody got any ideas?

I do both on a regular basis

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Reboot in safe mood. Then run msconfig. Deselect every item that you can at startup. Almost nothing should be selected. Run malwarebytes again. Then reboot.

Download HijackThis. Reboot in safe mode again. Run HijackThis. Delete any malware. Reboot again.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Reboot in safe mood. Then run msconfig. Deselect every item that you can at startup. Almost nothing should be selected. Run malwarebytes again. Then reboot.

Download HijackThis. Reboot in safe mode again. Run HijackThis. Delete any malware. Reboot again.
Cooter was saying last night in the box that his computer fixed itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.