Late round draft pick vs free agent

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I read somewhere that being a free agent is better than being a late round pick. Mostly because you get to pick your team and if you are good at that can get almost as much money up front as a late round pick.

Comment as you desire, I thought it an interesting concept.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I think if you’re slotted for the 6/7th rounds, you hope to be a UDFA. You can analyze the market and select a team with needs at your strength and/or position.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Well, you dont always get to select. most guys don't get many options offered to them. if you are drafted at least you have some idea of the team believes they need you at that position.

These guys that get rookie camp invites are just practice fodder.

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
Sure going undrafted may give a player a chance to go tryout on a team that he views favorably to win a spot (if invited), but the bottom line is the player was not drafted so even the team that gives him a tryout did not think very highly of that player

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I read somewhere that being a free agent is better than being a late round pick. Mostly because you get to pick your team and if you are good at that can get almost as much money up front as a late round pick.

Comment as you desire, I thought it an interesting concept.

I doubt that as being a draft pick will get you a spot over a free agent usually if things are close. My guess is the numbers would say 6th and 7th rounders fare much better than free agents that first season as far as making a team despite some of them getting cut.

The 5th round and earlier is where teams seem to keep the players usually no matter how they perform like they don't want to admit the pick may have been bad and 4th rounders and above are virtually never cut I think. A few 5th rounders get cut but very few I think.

I think only 4th rounders and earlier get higher than the minimum salary for years played in those initial 4 year contracts and its just the signing bonus that is different for the 5th to 7th rounders in their contracts.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I think it depends on the player. The majority of the time it’s a better deal to get drafted regardless. For many other reasons listed above. However, I would think that if you are skilled enough and driven enough to be really good in the NFL, It would be better in the long run to align yourself with the team whose schemes fit your skill set better. Assuming you have enough suitors. But I think your chance of success is a lot greater (overall) to just get your foot in the door by getting drafted.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
The only time I think it is better to get UDFA are with teams like NO who had very few picks and NEED OL.

I think it is also good for positions P & PK.

I still think the NFL restricts the numbers too much. You get just a injuries like ATL and the season is over.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
This link shows what each draft spot is expected to get:

2019 NFL Draft Tracker

The last pick in the 7th round is guaranteed a signing bonus of $74,288.

Most teams have around $100K in signing bonus money to give to UDFA. I'd take being a 7th rounder vs. UDFA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb