Latest on mesh wifi

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
My google wifi system seems to be schytting the bed. I know Orbi was highly touted on here a while back. What's the current concensus? Haven't looked in a while and its seems like there are all kinds of systems now ranging from less than 200 bucks to almost ten times that much. I need a good system since all the TVs in the house are running youtubeTV now.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
My google wifi system seems to be schytting the bed. I know Orbi was highly touted on here a while back. What's the current concensus? Haven't looked in a while and its seems like there are all kinds of systems now ranging from less than 200 bucks to almost ten times that much. I need a good system since all the TVs in the house are running youtubeTV now.
Orbi... YOU MORON! Please tell me the google one came with a crayon or something else that made you say, "I know Detroit, Brad, and others say they swear by the Orbi and that it's worth every penny, but this one is cheaper AND HAS A FREE CRAYON TO EAT!!!"

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Orbi... YOU MORON! Please tell me the google one came with a crayon or something else that made you say, "I know Detroit, Brad, and others say they swear by the Orbi and that it's worth every penny, but this one is cheaper AND HAS A FREE CRAYON TO EAT!!!"
First, lick my bunghole. Second, I already had this schytt long before you and brad came up from your 69 long enough to take a breath.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
First, lick my bunghole. Second, I already had this schytt long before you and brad came up from your 69 long enough to take a breath.
You've had a google mesh for 10 years?

EDIT: OK, 6 years... my first post was March 2017 :lol: That said, I still love my 6 year old Orbi, and we've had multiple TVs, multiple game systems, multiple streaming to devices... all at the same time with no issue. The true test is multiple kids playing games online at the same time and zero "lagging"... never had an issue.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You've had a google mesh for 10 years?
Look, I know you and brad have been lovers for a long time, but what I'm saying is that just a few years ago when you guys were having this convo I remember reading it and thinking that the google system I already had (this one) was working fine or I would have bought the Orbi.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Look, I know you and brad have been lovers for a long time, but what I'm saying is that just a few years ago when you guys were having this convo I remember reading it and thinking that the google system I already had (this one) was working fine or I would have bought the Orbi.
:lol: I edited my post, see my serious comments edit about how good my 6 year old Orbi still is. I wouldn't even buy the "latest greatest" unless you wanted, i'll bet you can find a generation or two old (but brand new/unboxed) one on Amazon.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
:lol: Yeah, I wasn't having any issues either until just recently. It keeps telling me that the password is incorrect, then when I try and reset it, it doesn't work. Until then I was using it to stream to every TV in the house at over 500mbps. Of course if I go to the Orbi website it tries to recommend a 1000 dollar system which sounds ludicrous.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
:lol: Yeah, I wasn't having any issues either until just recently. It keeps telling me that the password is incorrect, then when I try and reset it, it doesn't work. Until then I was using it to stream to every TV in the house at over 500mbps. Of course if I go to the Orbi website it tries to recommend a 1000 dollar system which sounds ludicrous.
Unless you want the main Orbi router to also be your modem (whatever hardware your provider provides), I seriously doubt you need more than this:
Amazon product

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Ordered. This better work or else our little deal is off.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Ordered. This better work or else our little deal is off.
If the one you get from Amazon has "Orbii" with 2 i's, all bets are OFF!!! :lol:

I mentioned the modem because you can get them now where the base Orbi router has a the modem built in as well, then you can schitcan your providers modem that you probably actually "rent" as part of the monthly charge unless you bought it outright... would get rid of one piece of crap sitting there. They didn't have that option yet in 2017 when I bought mine, might consider it now.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I guess I'm just "others" :weep:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I apologize... I thought it was you, was going to name you, then "AKA" crept into my head, so.... I went with "others." You should have been in the 2-slot over Brad!
I still love it too.
No issues whatsoever.
I've got a main unit (not a modem though) and 2 satellites.
The main unit is actually enough to cover whole house about 2k sq ft as where I keep it is fairly centrally located anyway and didn't have any real issues when we had to lose the other 2 satellites for a little bit because of moving everything around (house flooded).
There are small pockets in the house that speed reduced without them but they were areas where several walls, appliances, etc were in between.
The satellites just make it better because of where I place them.

Without looking at the unit itself I'm pretty sure this is the setup I got.
The newer ones look a little cooler though lol

NETGEAR Orbi Tri-Band Whole Home Mesh WiFi System (RBK43S) – Discontinued by Manufacturer https://a.co/d/7vJ9TTI

Seedy

Totally not CDGator
Oct 17, 2020
Ubiquiti - UDMPro, PoE Switch, AP01, AP02, AP03; Managed via reverse proxy to cloud and MFA. I can manage my brother's 2 networks (one in Ft Myers, one a mile away from our home). Lots of deep packet inspection; multiple wifi networks with varying privileges; can block services when/if kids are "on restrictions"

1677706247139.png

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Ubiquiti - UDMPro, PoE Switch, AP01, AP02, AP03; Managed via reverse proxy to cloud and MFA. I can manage my brother's 2 networks (one in Ft Myers, one a mile away from our home). Lots of deep packet inspection; multiple wifi networks with varying privileges; can block services when/if kids are "on restrictions"

View attachment 55281
english GIF

Alex.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

View attachment 55281
No wonder CDGator has so much time on her hands. :bwahaha:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

View attachment 55281
What in the name of Zeus's butthole are you talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb