Let’s Talk Positives

Mobtowngator

OCD should actually be called CDO...
Lifetime Member
Dec 30, 2018
Yes, I know for a fact someone in particular is listening.
I'm in St. Augustine this long weekend and at an unnamed tikki hut/bar/restaurant on the intracoastal sitting under the shadow of the lighthouse and who do I see?
None other than CBN himself. But, oddly enough he is by himself with head resting on hand looking a little down. (ie sad vs mongoloid)
I walk over, two beers in hand, push one of them slightly into his elbow and ask, "What's the matter Coach?"
He snaps his head up and looks at me with this "thanks for the beer" look that is mixed with a startled, bright eyed introspection and stammers out, "Yeah. No. Nothing really".
I insist on pushing the beer into his welcoming hand and sit down without asking and say again, "tell me, what's wrong?"
He quietly replies, "Have you ever heard of a Gatorchatter?"
I smile and nod.
What a therapeutic conversation we had.
Capt. Jim's Conch Hut by chance?

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
Here's a positive. If Billy Napier turns it around and starts winning then we will have us a coach who is well spoken with genuine humility that we can all be proud of and not some lazy arrogant know-it-all loudmouth. In my experience guys who are humble but weak are doormats, but guys who are humble but strong can do great things.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Yes the lackluster recruiting shows that high schoolers can’t stand Billy.

What’s next? Complaints that he has out of control foot odor?
Not only that but I’ve heard from a reliable source his breath could knock down an elephant . It’s scary stuff .

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, I know for a fact someone in particular is listening.
I'm in St. Augustine this long weekend and at an unnamed tikki hut/bar/restaurant on the intracoastal sitting under the shadow of the lighthouse and who do I see?
None other than CBN himself. But, oddly enough he is by himself with head resting on hand looking a little down. (ie sad vs mongoloid)
I walk over, two beers in hand, push one of them slightly into his elbow and ask, "What's the matter Coach?"
He snaps his head up and looks at me with this "thanks for the beer" look that is mixed with a startled, bright eyed introspection and stammers out, "Yeah. No. Nothing really".
I insist on pushing the beer into his welcoming hand and sit down without asking and say again, "tell me, what's wrong?"
He quietly replies, "Have you ever heard of a Gatorchatter?"
I smile and nod.
What a therapeutic conversation we had.
Did you refer him to a prostitute?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
If he ever garners better results no one will give a crap about his demeanor.
It's been one hell of a long time, but LongTooth finally speaks some truth. All Billy has to do is win games and all this crap will go away.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
His exact comment was he didn't seem like he'd energize a team for games, not that he may not be likeable in one on one situations.

But, I get it, I wrote something not positive about Napier that directly relates to what we all recently saw on the sideline and press conferences. It's outrageous and I'm clearly just a hater with a prostitute deficiency.
Imo, if a player needs to be "energized" to play, it's their problem. Like a wife of gf saying...
You need to "make" me happy.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
All this, he needs to change who he is.......he was hired because of who he is. If, long term, it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. But, that isn't close to being now, so settle in.

GatorFL

Lifetime Member
Oct 29, 2017
The one positive is that no one has hired Urban Meyer yet and he is still relatively young at 59.
do it jewish GIF

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
3 plays made the difference. The opening 70 yard TD, the penalty with two #3’s and the deflected interception. Overall the defense played well against a ranked team on the road.
I'd throw the delay of game penalty in there too, and the two illegal formations. All three of those penalties killed drives.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
This, but remember it was also UTAH's 1st game and with a #3 at QB and missing 2 other starters....but I'm not going to go on and on about that.

The defense got themselves off the field on the road whether Utah is any good or not so I'm saying that is improvement especially down 24-3 with the short field TD they scored in the 3rd quarter.

Offensively I'm afraid to say yet. Yeah Mertz looked serviceable dinking and doinking us downfield BUT we also said the same thing about Treon, and Del Rio after their first game or 2....I'm afraid the offensive line is so bad that Mertz gets injured before mid season....

It's also one thing to be good moving the ball between the 20's but again we take WAY TOO LONG operating in the redzone....blame the illegal procedures on the offensive linemen all you want but it is also the fact they're forced to stay in their stance too long trying to hear the snap call in a noisy place....just call the play and snap the ball....this is the sign of an unconfident play caller and spills over into the productivity of the offense .
I agree and would like to add that if they are going for it on 4th down, they need to go much faster. Get the ball snapped with 15 seconds + on the clock. Make the defense guess at when the ball is going to be sanpped.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
All this, he needs to change who he is.......he was hired because of who he is. If, long term, it doesn't work, then it doesn't work. But, that isn't close to being now, so settle in.

I think you’re over complicating some of this though. To use his own words. This isn’t an infrastructure issue. There isn’t going to be an epiphany one day where we realize not having a special teams coach really is a good idea. Or that running his offense the way he insists is going to magically change. Yes, better talent at QB will help. But these are glaring, obvious missteps that don’t require the highest football IQ to identify. Notice how no one is defending those pieces, even if they ultimately like Napier. Last year was different because of the roster. But in the world of the transfer portal, things can, and do happen very quickly. So, as for settling in, if 2 1/2 years was enough to determine the fates of Muschamp and McIllwaine, how long with the luxury of being able to completely flip your roster, do you really need? I like Napier and want him to succeed. But he’s signing his own death warrant and it’s as simple as that.

I do totally agree on your one point though. If this was his plan, all along, the problem, as we know, runs far deeper. Just as the previous clowns should’ve been sniffed, out whoever interviewed him and okayed these approaches should be fired yesterday. But we all knew that.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
The post-Tebow curse seems to live on. We sold our souls to have that generational talent. Nothing has gone right since.
Grier went right until he didn't. The heave to Cleav is one for the ages, and most of 2020 was good. The legend of Kyle Trask will be Gator lore forever.

Uncle Rob

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2016
I had to laugh when McCartney mentioned Buffet’s “Louisiana accent.” JB spend his formative years in Ms. and Al. I guess all southerners sound the same to McCartney.
Well, my nephew in law was insulted because I thought his Birmingham accent sounded like Liverpool, so I understand.

LongTooth

Lifetime Member
Feb 4, 2015
i’m positive the new GNFP game review dropped. Don’t know whats up with his homeless hair.

Haven’t watched the offense vid yet, and he notes the really bad ST play, but he’s pretty bullish on the way Armstrong has improved the defense based on the single game sample.

Sapp and Searcy could be very good off the edge.

LBs are communicating better.

Gap responsibility is better.

DBs are using press man almost 50% of the time.

Castell can play.

Mitchell and Moten both flailed on the opening play.

T. Mitchell lost contain on the qb run for TD. Scooby and Shemar should get the nod to start.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
I think you’re over complicating some of this though. To use his own words. This isn’t an infrastructure issue. There isn’t going to be an epiphany one day where we realize not having a special teams coach really is a good idea. Or that running his offense the way he insists is going to magically change. Yes, better talent at QB will help. But these are glaring, obvious missteps that don’t require the highest football IQ to identify. Notice how no one is defending those pieces, even if they ultimately like Napier. Last year was different because of the roster. But in the world of the transfer portal, things can, and do happen very quickly. So, as for settling in, if 2 1/2 years was enough to determine the fates of Muschamp and McIllwaine, how long with the luxury of being able to completely flip your roster, do you really need? I like Napier and want him to succeed. But he’s signing his own death warrant and it’s as simple as that.

I do totally agree on your one point though. If this was his plan, all along, the problem, as we know, runs far deeper. Just as the previous clowns should’ve been sniffed, out whoever interviewed him and okayed these approaches should be fired yesterday. But we all knew that.
We don't really disagree. It would be a waste for him to choose to fail because I believe he could make it work with some changes. He may tweak, but I think this year is set, which is what I meant about sit back. Saban succeeds with many different coordinators and staff, but he is Saban.
If you're driving a car and lights come on the dash, some aren't an immediate problem but with any of them it's...ignore at your own peril. After last Thursday, he's got lights on. He should at least pull over and look under the hood.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator