Let’s talk Special Teams

Discussion in 'Main Sports Forum' started by heversle, Jan 14, 2020.

1. heversle

heversle Baba Booey Tata Toothy
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $563
    Ratings:
    +1,298 / -32
    Although we avoided major blunders with sure-handed Freddie Swain as a returner, our punt return game has been underwhelming in recent years. Tyrie had some nice moments when given the chance, but we’ve lacked a game breaking return man in the kick return game as well. Who would you like to see take over these roles next season?

2. Oscar the G

Oscar the G Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
    $319
    Ratings:
    +322 / -206
    I'd fair catch every KO and not waste a minute practicing it. Punt returns could get jazzed up, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

• Towels 'N Sporks

Towels 'N Sporks We R Bad Cause Urban Cheated on Wife

Oxbucks:
      $311
      Ratings:
      +353 / -62
      That seems almost like what we were doing this year. I would actually be fine with the strategy, but if we were going to do this, why is it that we rarely try to block punts?

It's like we don't try to block punts OR return punts. When its 4th and long and your return game is as bad as ours is, shouldn't we be sending the house when there's little to no chance of a fake? As bad as our return game was this year you would think we would have at least tried to block a few punts every game.

• FireFoley

FireFoley Senior Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $2,560
        Ratings:
        +3,863 / -284
        If Toney is on the team, then he should be the kickoff returner. Toney should never return punts ever again. He proved his hands are unreliable in that role 2 years ago and he would constantly run sideways and backwards. But for those who want to fair catch every kickoff and punt, I have no issue with that either.

• gingerlover

gingerlover Junior Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,422
          Ratings:
          +2,433 / -15
          Last year Swain was a breath of fresh air back there after years of holding your breath on every return that we don't fumble. This year though I had hoped he would take more chances trying to break one, but at least he held onto the ball and other than one stupid play I can remember was reliable.

That being said it would be nice to block a kick every now and then and actually be able to return a few.

• Buckman2000

Buckman2000 Well-Known Member
            Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
            $697
            Ratings:
            +867 / -32
            Copeland would be good on returns as well. If not him maybe Clement can find a place by being a returner.

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
              Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
              $14,747
              Ratings:
              +19,856 / -146
              My thoughts exactly. In addition to the fumble concern, his tendency to retreat and try to make something out of nothing would not only cost us yards at times but would also likely mean any time we had a positive it would also come with a block in the back or hold. I was definitely not thrilled at seeing Swain call a fair catch basically at the snap, but Toney is not the answer based on what I've seen.

Oddly enough, along with KR it's probably the only area he can prove himself as an NFL worthy player, as he doesn't really have a position at the moment. So he should be fully committed to it. Guess we'll see if he wants to put in the work.

• cover2

cover2 I've grown old
                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                $3,869
                Ratings:
                +7,116 / -9
                I don't think it really matters who the returner is if we aren't going to hold up the gunners and the guys on the front line any better than we do. I know things have changed, but the old rule of thumb for a return was to hold up the gunners or at least delay their release and harass them all the way down the field. The interior guys should be engaged/held up and guided to which ever side of the field to create a lane for the returner. One or two players have to engage the up-backs and ensure that there will be a punt as quickly as possible. It is also imperative that the ball be fielded. We didn't execute the hold-ups and diversions very well at all. I do recall one game that we came close to blocking a couple of punts; otherwise, our primary purpose seemed to be simply to get the ball back wherever we could field it. PR can be a game changer if emphasized as such.

• Gatormac2112

Gatormac2112 The Voice of Reason
                  Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                  $786
                  Ratings:
                  +1,551 / -27
                  Special teams have been boring since Meyer left. Back in the day blocked punts and big returns were the norm. He emphasized ST and coached it himself I believe. Apparently its not important to Dan.

• UFHealthGator

UFHealthGator Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                    $2,316
                    Ratings:
                    +2,353 / -80
                    Copeland had slippery hands this year. Would make me nervous.

• soflagator

soflagator Senior Member
                      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                      $14,747
                      Ratings:
                      +19,856 / -146
                      I’m not always the best at judging these things, but Copeland seemed to make several really tough, contested catches, while his drops were easy ones that he would make 9 times out of 10. That leads me to believe it was more about first time jitters and not an inherent issue. I expect him to be fine next season and I think with enough focus on that position, he’d be ok at PR as well.

• gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                        $3,544
                        Ratings:
                        +3,595 / -386
                        It's always something that continues to baffle me: quite a few elite coaches place a premium on special teams specifically because it has the ability to influence games...and yet, so few coaches actually make an effort there?

Having a good punt return shortens the field for the offense and ensures that even if the drive stalls, you will pin them deep for your defense.

• Oscar the G

Oscar the G Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                          $319
                          Ratings:
                          +322 / -206
                          But is it overrated? Lsu was 20th in the nation, and averaged about 5 more yards a return than us. Bama is certainly an outlier this year, but not many elite coaches on the punt return list. At least this past year, I didn't look any further back.

I'm not opposed to spending more time on 3ed down defense and keeping a boring safe guy at returner. Think that would help more with field position.

• ltraz

ltraz Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                            $6,978
                            Ratings:
                            +7,225 / -641
                            You actually don't need to designate a ton of practice time to STs regardless of how much you emphasize it though. Largely, bc tons of STs players aren't starters so you can practice things simultaneously. Plus, installing a fake or a new punt block takes waaaayyyyy less time than installing 1 new defensive call. 'Emphasizing' STs really just means hiring a guy thats good instead of drawing straws to see what position coach also coaches STs.

• gatorev12

gatorev12 Well-Known Member

Oxbucks:
                              $3,544
                              Ratings:
                              +3,595 / -386
                              There's certainly merit to that argument too.

I think the main reason more coaches don't place an emphasis on it is the fear of turning it over on a return--or getting called for a hold that sets you back an additional 10 yards. Both are valid concerns, but I'm a big believer in the "Who Dares, Wins" mantra.

• NOLAGATOR

NOLAGATOR Deep Behind Enemy Lines
                              Supporting Member

Oxbucks:
                              $3,198
                              Ratings:
                              +3,252 / -369
                              I'd like to see more blocked punts.

That was big under Urban.

Do we recruit speedsters like Meyer did?

• AlexDaGator

AlexDaGator The Hammer of Thor
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $6,450
                                Ratings:
                                +13,234 / -38
                                We've always had good returners and we've often had elite returners.

Andre Debose, Chris Rainey, Brandon James, Bubba Caldwell, Bo Carroll, Lito Sheppard, Quez Green, Jack Jackson, etc.

It used to be when the other team was punting or kicking off, we were excited to watch the return. A fair catch was a disappointment.

Then, after Debose left, it became stressful, not exciting. I almost expected a bobble, a drop, a fumble, a loss of yardage every time. A fair catch was a relief.

These last couple of years with Swain, at least he secured the ball. It was neither exciting nor stressful.

I have to believe there is SOMEBODY on the team with the talent to be a threat in the return game. Maybe not as good as Debose or Brandon James, but good enough to make the other team sweat; good enough to help us out with field position. We need to identify that player (or players) and get them on the field.

As far as blocks go, I would like to see the running into/roughing the kicker rule modified for these rugby style kickers that run around back there. Keep the rule the same for the guys who kick from the "pocket". The edge rushers are coming around full-speed, they know where the kicker is going to be and they can time their leaps to avoid the kicker's leg. It's a fair system. However, once you roll your kicker out of that designated safe zone and he starts juking and dancing around, I think the defense should have more leeway. I'm not trying to kill Aussies and Kiwis (we're getting one of our own), I'm just trying to make it fair to the defenders.

Alex.

• heversle

heversle Baba Booey Tata Toothy
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $563
                                Ratings:
                                +1,298 / -32
                                I think I read an article recently that mentioned Dionte Marks may get a look as a returner. Can’t remember who said it.

• SeabeeGator

SeabeeGator Well-Known Member
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $8,687
                                Ratings:
                                +8,673 / -546
                                You mean fair catcher.

• Durty South Swamp

Durty South Swamp doodley doodley doo!
                                Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
                                $8,386
                                Ratings:
                                +18,277 / -359
                                They should be treated as a ball carrier as soon as they start running with the ball, as redundant as that statement may be.

There are advantages to the rugby kick - it can buy a little extra time, can make the D hesitate, allow the coverage group to get further downfield and better prevent/defend a return, but the real advantage is if you have a punter who can also run or throw a bit. There's nothing that says that punter cant rugby roll out, see an open man or an open lane, then sling it or take off running. If they are allowed to do this (and they are) then the D should be allowed to tee off too.